1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

UK based owners

Discussion in 'Other' started by sausage-fingers, Jul 11, 2009.

1. casperdog21

casperdog21 Member

there seems to be a few xj,s around the country but getting parts is like drawing teeth there are plenty of bits in the states and in europe but the cost of getting them is a bit over the top The postal costs are a bit off to say the least, but we have to fight on eh next time I go to Holland or germany I will have my laptop with me ( If I can hide it from the wife)
    cheers lads

2. Stokie

Stokie New Member

Hi guys. I'm living in Stoke-on-Trent, UK. I got my XJ 550 last week off of eBay. She's clean enough, with 12 months ticket. But she needs a few buckets of TLC throwing over her. A proper strip down is planned for the winter, but for now I plan to enjoy her through the summer sunshine - when it comes back!!

3. phil29

phil29 New Member

There's me in Newcastle. Got an '81 550 but it seems to be the only one around. It's next stop would have been the breakers, (where all the others probably went) but a small fortune later and I ride it every day.
    Only just found this site. Very useful indeed. Thanks.
    Phil.

4. phil29

phil29 New Member

Just read a bit more of all that. When I bought the xj , I stupidly thought spares would be everywhere. But no, they're not. It is easier to find used parts for old British bikes and the attention the bike gets worries me because it indicates just how rare they are. Absolutely dreading the engine overhaul. 42 000 miles on the clock and it's never been apart. Bike cost £300; just the top end is going to be twice that.

5. Jayneflakes

Jayneflakes New Member

Based in Weston Super Mare, so am familiar with the Van Diemans.

Just picked up a 400/4 Jap import from E-Bay.

Seems like a nice bike, but not at all keen on the silly handle bars! Need to get rid of the bars from the shopping bike and fit some nice straight bars. 8O

6. casperdog21

casperdog21 Member

Hi again uk lot, I have found that the xj 650 has a lot of fans in holland and germany so you can get a load of spares from there and the post is not that bad, go onto ebay and look in the german section, hope to see some of you about on my travels :) :lol:

7. Ledicott96

Ledicott96 Member

Hi im 14 I and my dad own a 1983 XJ750 Seca and a 1981 XJ750 RAT custom. I was disappointed when I looked at this thread and no one had posted in ages! Would like to see some more activity and some info on other fellow UK XJ owners. Just some pics of the XJs.

[​IMG] CLEAN ONE

[​IMG] RAT
    Thanks Al

Gregory70 likes this.
  8. Bandit

Bandit New Member

Hi all I'm a UK XJ bike owner from Stevenage in Herts, I'm currently restoring a XJ 750 A 1981 which I used to ride a while back before getting the 900 diversion, see the progress here:-
    http://sandpit.no-ip.com/xj750

Here she is a few years ago

[​IMG]

9. matie69

matie69 Member

Hi guys....xj owner from norwich.

Got a build thread going for my pre diversion cafe fighter.
    http://www.xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=30767.html

this is the old girl as purchased.

[​IMG]

And this is as she currently stands with mods well under way.
    [​IMG]

Hopefull that things go well so i can get back on the road soon. Be good to meet up with some of you guys for a ride out.

10. Ledicott96

Ledicott96 Member

Looking good guys! Nice to see some fellow active UK XJ owners, bandit did you get those chrome callipers of eBay? Keep us well posted maybe look at creating a thread in the main forum matie69? Just one last thing is careful buying parts from other countries the customs fees are expensive!!

11. matie69

matie69 Member

my above post has the link to my build thread in main forum under modification 'xj600 cafe fighter'.

Oh and anyone interested in xj600 complete front or backend then pm me???? also fz600 top tree with clipons.(do fit xj)

12. Bandit

Bandit New Member

Yeah found them listed as XJ650 which are the same as XS650 and XJ750A so got a bargain there, I was also looking for a petrol cap for the 650/750 Seca model and after a lot of research found that the same cap is used on the Yamaha SR125 and Virago, so got a cheap nicely chromed cap that was sold listed as SR125, result...

Here is the link top the cap

13. Bandit

Bandit New Member

Well I been busy, as soon as I got in the pinstripes (sticky ones) had turned up so on they went with some cool clear laquer (not by Halfords I might add, dont ever ever buy their tank laquer, you will ruin your tank if you use it for sure) and below is the tank design with the first few coats of laquer... hope ya like it. Oh I aint no pro at spraying or pinstriping come to that but I give it a go

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The restoration project can be found here

14. Ledicott96

Ledicott96 Member

I think I may have seen those callipers when they where on eBay (along with a chrome centre stand, carb bowls and various other items he had listed) the tank looks good I like the scheme your going for. I also I agree with you on the Halfords paints and lacquers as they are poor and over priced. Just if any one hear sees some marzocchi shocks for a 650/750 piggy back kind , all so a bit off the topic but its still a Yamaha im selling a 2005 TZR50 if you no of any one who is interested let me no.

15. BRIXJ750

BRIXJ750 New Member

Hi all , have just joined site after buying a 1982 XJ750 Seca off ebay..like you ,have not seen many on the roads , even since buying my first Seca back in 82. Good to hear I'm not alone. Trying to keep mine as standard as pos, saving up for a replacment 4 into 2 as bike came with a motad 4-1. Wont be long before its on the roads down here in south wales.

16. Bandit

Bandit New Member

Welcome to the site mate, thats going to be costly saving for a new 4 into 2 set up, do you have any pics of your bike you got from ebay? I had a lot of stress trying to get a 4 into 2 system for mine and ended up spending £400 alone just for the silencers from Laser, Jama Originals with my original headers and a collectorbox from eBay which was another £100+...

17. Ledicott96

Ledicott96 Member

Welcome. Would be nice to see some pics, I have the full jama system on my 750 parts bike real nice pipe.
    Al

18. Bandit

Bandit New Member

Here's mine all finished with the standard headers and collector box
    and Jama silencers,

[​IMG]

19. BRIXJ750

BRIXJ750 New Member

Hi everyone, re 4-2, have my eye on a used system (origonal) that just needs re chroming, pricing that up at the mo. Had to replace glass covering clocks as was craked and re paintspedo surround as had rusted,good as new now :))) I would be realy interested to find out what happened to my old seca MOJ 616X which i sold back in 1990 in the Hitchin / Bedford area.

Attached Files:

• 00.jpg
      00.jpg
      File size:
      124.3 KB
      Views:
    • 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      119.5 KB
      Views:
  20. BRIXJ750

BRIXJ750 New Member

Hi all just had a brand spankin tank cap delivered from Hong Kong off e-bay ..£20 all in , sweet. For info XJ750 UK 1982 tank cap is identicle to Yam SR125 & Virago and it only took 4 days to arrive !