1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

parts capatibillty sheet for all bikes

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by hohenstein23, Apr 20, 2015.

1. hohenstein23

hohenstein23 Member

We should have a sheet that shows like what part will go on another's bike and have that for all the bikes. Like what carbs will fit on different bikes and stuff like that. That would be a lot of work making something like that but it would help clean up the forum s a bit.

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

That information exists (for the most part) in the XJ4Ever catalog. You are talking about a huge undertaking to make a comprehensive list. Yamaha is very good about using parts on multiple bikes over multiple years.

hogfiddles likes this.
  3. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

Yes as moe stated XJ "bible "is great for cross model fitment If your looking up parts on line biggest clue is first 3digits of part # is what bike the part originates from eg. 256-##### is from the early xs 650 twins 397- from cs3 and Rd 200 and so on. So if you use yamahapartsnation.com for example you can insert number in a "where used " box and it will tell you most of the bikes that part is used in very helpful when u go to the scrapers

Franz and hogfiddles like this.
  4. dowski68

dowski68 Well-Known Member

just tried this out where does it go and damn Yamaha really utilized some parts for many other bikes. This is a good thing, being as I was looking for fork seals and the list was as long as my arm lol.

5. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Also, the XRef for those that still have that.
    Dowski, for YOUR bike, almost the whole front end is that same as the 84+ virago 700,750, 1000, and 1100. The rest of your bike is virtually the same as all the 85/86 xj700/750/700X/750X......with the difference between the 700-750, and the airhead-Watercooled engines being the majority. Of the differences.

6. dowski68

Thank you so much- funny that the prices are actually different as well. Nice to be able to utilize this reference again thank you.
    Just talked with the crew at Yamaha parts and they said they have put my order on expedited- hopefully this week or early next week. ;)
    Still working on polishing the exhaust pipes.
    found that I have a broken horn bracket on the left side :( this may be a bit difficult to find might need to have made ?
    Ah the adventures of building or rebuilding a XJ700X :)

7. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Look at the horns for the virago, too------same thing.......can't verify the bracket though------

8. dowski68

they are pretty proud of that there horn assembly 94.00 ouch may go and see if I can make one at the local college they have a cnc machine there.

9. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Pssst.
    Hey buddy...
    I gots a tip for youz.

Eeeeee Bay.

10. dowski68

thanks and yes I have been lurking around there for quite a bit. I only looked on Yamaha parts nation to see if they even still made them and what they are charging.
    You funny guy LOL

k-moe likes this.
  11. dowski68

Brackets are different-very different-
    Anyway just waiting for my shims to get here well along with the wrist pins yet as soon as I get them in the engine I will let you know what I have left over for the shim pool.