1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Paul Howells

Paul Howells Active Member

I've got one of the good ones! My wife even suggested building a structure in the driveway to keep my bikes out of the rain. Unbelievable.

tcoop likes this.
  2. Wintersdark

Wintersdark Well-Known Member

I got #2 and #3 at the same time.... That went poorly.

TheCrazyGnat likes this.
  3. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

Finally solved my "creaky" front brake. After new SS lines, redoing the caliper pistons, bleeding the line this spring, the brake worked. However, it was "creaky" in that it was "notchy" when I squeezed the brake lever. Thinking it was caused by sticky caliper piston, I took the caliper apart about 5 times trying to figure out what was wrong. I was about ready to spring for a couple hundred bucks to buy a refurb caliper from Len.

Early this week, I finally realized, "Duh" - the "creaky sound" as coming from the lever/master cylinder area, not the caliper. Turns out the piston underneath the master cylinder needed a shot of lube. I remember I had accidently dribbled brake fluid down the side of the master cylinder. It probably got in there and was causing stickiness. A shot of lubricant on the lever pivot point and into the master cylinder piston (not sure if that is the correct term - it is where the lever adjustment screw presses into the master cylinder) and the front brakes are once again silky smooth.

Sometimes the problem area isn't where we think it is. The fun of diagnosing.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  4. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

My Colortune did the same thing. Try some black tape or shrink wrap around the end of the adapter and porcelon. That was actually the "fix" that Gunson told me to do via email.

5. fiveofakind

fiveofakind Well-Known Member

Just tell her that one of them is for her

tcoop and Jetfixer like this.
  6. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

My wife is encouraging me to buy another bike... she wants the Rebel for herself. She's almost as frustrated as me at how hard it is to find a 650 Seca.

7. wgul

wgul Active Member

Hmm. . Haven't run into that problem

8. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

9. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

2 out of the 3 pics showing shocks have the old shocks on, looks like he didn't completely break the rack.
    IF I had money to play with I would offer $800

- I am as cheap as dirt

OOOPS - MODERATOR should move this and previous message to Craigslist in HangOut Lounge

10. Wintersdark

Wintersdark Well-Known Member

Took the old girl to a local upholstery shop to price seat recovery as mines tearing.

With a full recover and foam modification (getting rid of the hump in the middle so I can sit back further) it'll be $125 CDN, and take a day. Seems pretty reasonable to me.

Hopefully next week I can have it done.

Jetfixer likes this.
  11. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

It doesn't look like it is going to happen this year. In September I'll be getting a couple of surgical procedures which will put me on disability for a while. Money will be tight, and the riding season will most likely be over. Until next year, I'll just bitch and complain.

12. Dadoseven

Dadoseven Active Member

Rebuilt and re-assembled Anti-Dive actuating piston assembly housing, thanks to parts from XJ4EVER.
    Was a little worried about bleeding brakes again based upon previous experience. Got it done!

Jetfixer likes this.
  13. dowski68

dowski68 Well-Known Member

Looking forward to the day I have more then one XJ in the stable.

Chitwood likes this.
  14. turpentyne

turpentyne Active Member

Today, I put the rebuilt master cylinder back on, and my new braided stainless brake lines - most of the way. I'm stuck waiting for next paycheck to buy caliper rebuild kits. I'll spend the time kicking myself in the keister for not using the brake lever to push those pucks out. But... another weekend closer to gettin' her on the road!

...Annnnd grumbling after spotting more damage from the bike being dropped at some point. The throttle handle is cracked up right at the endcap. I didn't see it when inspecting. I have a feeling the guy put a dab of glue or something in there to hold it down, and it finally melted away in the Arizona heat, for me to see. That's ok... in a couple paychecks or so, my loss will be Chacal's gain! ;)

[​IMG]

Dadoseven likes this.
  15. Plug

Plug Active Member

Got the carbs into church for the next 4 days, and got all my valves in spec on the 750 Seca.......

Dadoseven likes this.
  16. Dadoseven

Dadoseven Active Member

Investigated cause of non-returning shift lever. Replaced the shift lever return spring and the shift torsion spring; although neither was broken.? Replaced anyway.

IMG_3048.JPG

Maybe something wasn't installed properly? Couldn't tell for sure because the return spring mechanism and pawl came out with the cover.

While I had the cover off, thought it would be the perfect time to polish it up:
    IMG_3054.JPG

Also of note, there wasn't a gasket present on the cover; just some gasket sealant. Was this normal from the factory?

wgul, dowski68 and Jetfixer like this.
  17. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

18. Dadoseven

Dadoseven Active Member

19. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

not weird just PO syndrome

Wintersdark and Dadoseven like this.
  20. Dadoseven

Dadoseven Active Member

Replaced side case and new gasket after replacing shift lever return and torsion springs yesterday.

Took it out for a test ride... shifts beautifully! and.... no oil leaks from case.

With a previous post by someone else that has a recalibrated speedometer (labels over the numbers) in mind, strapped my phone on using a speed checker app. Everything up to 55 is just about right on.

Rooster53 likes this.