1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Xj750r seca 1982

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by joe elliff, Aug 11, 2017.

1. joe elliff

joe elliff Active Member

Who out there has used a direct replacement set of fork tubes? What did you use and why? I began disassembly of my original fork tubes for my seca and followed the manual for disassembly to a T. I can not separate the stanchion from the lower leg. It will not pull out

I am considering a new style of forks but if I can come out with the originals for the bike that would be preferable.

Help please

2. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Dadoseven likes this.
  3. joe elliff

joe elliff Active Member

Excellent write up I thank you for leading me to it. The only thing in comparing the write up to what I've done differently is..... the dampening rod bolt on the bottom spins freely. I did not take it out all the way just because of the bolt rubber making it not drop right out. I can't think it'd still be attached whatsoever, but given the article showing it on the bench I will go and do the same. Past that, this one leg is a pita. Attaching it to a vise I was using both hands and fully pulling

I'll let you all know. Hopefully it'll be something silly like I still had one thread attached Although I dont think that'll be the case

4. joe elliff

joe elliff Active Member

Either way now I am in no hurry. Looks like I've got to order some upper stanchion rubbers now to go above the air inlet and below the upper clamp from chacal and more I'm sure.

5. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

6. joe elliff

joe elliff Active Member

IMG_1055.JPG Hmmm. Well, it's apart now I am very happy to have the link you sent. It'll help with reassembly after I start ordering rebuild parts. I somehow can't find the other half of the spring washer

There is still one more part within the tube that won't fall out. I'm figuring the other half if the spring washer is bound up into it somewhere

Attached Files:

7. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Joe, another simple option is to swap the 750 seca forks out for a pair of 750 Maxim forks.

The only thing that changes, is you don't have the anti-dive stuff (to worry about) anymore.

Dave Fox

8. joe elliff

joe elliff Active Member

I have a set of them mocked up in the tree right guy now. I say mocked up as I don't have the rubber bushings any longer that go just under the top clamp and above the air direct valves

They're too dry and brittle and broke upon disassembly

Still need to try and find them here through chacal and I'll once again be able to ride it