1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

xj650 electrical problem

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by GMarCR, Aug 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

happens a lot use the link you have been provided it gives you the numbers and locations
    scroll down far enough ant it lists by bike

GMarCR likes this.
  2. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

So get them back in their proper place using wiring color and numbers on the relay to verify. I would also suggest ohming them to be sure the internal diodes are not damaged. Here is what the headlight relay should look like internally:

upload_2017-8-10_17-19-7.png

Kevin W. and GMarCR like this.
  3. GMarCR

GMarCR Member

So though sheer luck or voodoo magic after swapping the relays so they are in their rightful places the bike now runs....
    Thank you very much for the help in fixing it, and maybe let me know how I could test that its fixed assides from your previous instructions.

4. Rooster53

If the bike starts and runs that is a good start, but you can test further to make sure all is well.

Headlight Relay:
    When the key is set to "ON" the headlight is off
    When the bike starts, or sometimes just very close to starting the headlight should illuminate
    If the kill switch is used to shut the bike off the headlight should remain on (relay latched) until the ignition key is set to off.

Starter Cutoff Relay:
    Starter engages when the start button is depressed and in neutral
    Starter will not engage when the start button is depressed when in gear

Clutch Switch:
    Starter engages when the start button is depressed while in gear and the clutch pulled in

Consider taking a motorcycle safety course to learn how to ride safely. You have no cage to protect you, and the course will be full of information pertaining to your safety.

You have an old motorcycle, it is great to hear it is running, but to be safe it is likely in need of a lot more TLC. Read this post and consider all the neglected maintenance that needs to be done for your own safety.

http://www.xjbikes.com/forums/threads/the-information-overload-hour.27544/

GMarCR and Stumplifter like this.
  5. GMarCR

GMarCR Member

So turns out headlight doesn't work.
    I suspect the relay is bad since when it was in the starter relay position before the bike wouldnt start but the headlight worked.
    is this correct deduction?
    thank you sensei Rooster for your continual help

6. Chitwood

Chitwood Well-Known Member

Follow the schematic posted by rooster above to test the wires going to the headlight relay. My issue turned out to be two different problems, a broken alternator brush, and a melted diode block. P.O. really knew what they were doing...but testing them helped me determine where to start.

GMarCR and Rooster53 like this.
  7. Rooster53

Could be the relay, should be easy to troubleshoot:

First check the headlight fuse, you have had issues in the fuse box already with the signal fuse, so make sure the headlight fuse is good and the clips for it are not broken.

1. Place the DMM on the 20VDC scale, connect the negative lead to the battery negative.

2. Remove the headlight relay

3. Turn the ignition key to “ON” and place the DMM positive lead on the headlight R/Y wire at the headlight relay mating connector. You should measure 12V.

4. Place the DMM positive probe on the W wire on the headlight relay mating connector, you should read zero volts.

5. With the DMM still connected to the W wire, start the bike and the voltage should go from zero to 12V, and climb slightly if the bike is revved to 2krpm.

6. Turn the bike off

7. If all is normal to this point, temporarily short the R/Y wire to the L/B wire on the headlight relay mating connector, turn the ignition key to “ON” and the headlight should illuminate. If so, replace the headlight relay.

If step 3 fails, then there is an issue with the HEAD fuse or associated wiring.

If step 5 fails, either the AC generator is not working or the diode block internal diode is open and not allowing rectified DC to reach the headlight relay, or the associated wiring or connectors are open.

GMarCR, Chitwood and Stumplifter like this.
  8. GMarCR

GMarCR Member

Thank you again for the help and advice.
    I conducted your test and I got an error on part 5.
    I was not getting any power in whether the bike was on or not. to be fair I didnt ride it anywhere and just started it and checked the voltage.
    I tried shorting the wires as part 7 with the only thing I could find which was my indicator lamp but this had no effect.
    Also the turn signals dot blink but show solid light until I flick the switch in the other direction just a hair.

Also side note is it ok to have the neutral switch bypassed? it seems the previous owner has done it.
    Should I look into
    as Chitwood said or re do the tests after riding the bike a while?

9. Chitwood

Chitwood Well-Known Member

As far as step 5 goes it sounds like it is not charging which could be at least part of your headlight issue. Check the running voltage at the battery, at idle, also at 2k rpm and above

GMarCR likes this.
  10. Rooster53

You don't need to ride it to check that. This could indicate that the AC Generator is not working or as stated earlier a problem with the diode block or associated wiring.

So, connect the DMM across the battery, start the bike and see if the voltage climbs to around 14.5 volts when revved above 2000 rpm.

I don't consider the starter cutoff safety feature as important as the side stand safety, which you do not have on the earlier model. If it were mine, I would likely fix it, but depending on what the issue is I might put it off for an opportune time.

If that is a test light it should have illuminated, but the headlight would not light. You can use something as simply as a paperclip to jump the two, just double verify you are on the correct wires based on color code.

GMarCR likes this.
  11. GMarCR

GMarCR Member

Just got done taking some friends out and about from another town to look into the bike again.

So Voltage climbs to 14 ish Volts from R/Y wire and White wire still has nothing.
    When I shorted R/Y+ L/B headlight turned on when key tuned to ON.

what does the wise Rooster say about this ?

12. Rooster53

So since it appears your AC Generator is working it is likely the diode block has an open diode for the headlight relay. It should be located in the headlight bucket:

From http://www.xjbikes.com/forums/threads/the-ultimate-relay-switch-sensor-and-diodes-guide.27543/

"Identification:
    - on all models except 1982 XJ750 Maxim and all XJ1100 models: a small, flat, thin rectangular shaped, housed within a soft rubber "sleeve" that is approximately 1" wide x 2" long x 1/8" thick, and has 3, 5, 6 or 7 wires coming out of one end and going into a black or white plastic connector shell."

It may smell burnt, which would be an obvious indication to replace it. If not, you can check the diodes with a DMM set to the diode scale. One direction should read approximately 540 ohms, reverse the probes and it should read open. D2 is the diode for the headlight relay. If it checks OK, you will need to check continuity on the main harness mating wires for those two pins. One will go to the headlight relay (white wire), and the other to one leg of the AC Generator (also white).

upload_2017-8-27_9-41-13.png

GMarCR and Chitwood like this.
  13. GMarCR

GMarCR Member

I don't have a diode tester on my multimeter but measured the 8 ohms in the diagram.
    Im packing up my bike for the year since I have to leave for university.
    Just bought some fuel stabilizer and will unplug the battery till next year.
    Thank you very much for the help this summer !

14. Rooster53

So did it pass the sniff test of possibly burnt?

Good luck with your university studies.

15. GMarCR

GMarCR Member

Didn't smell anything burned but I wanted to be sure with a diode test!