1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Went to go to a buddies house , bike had sat for a few days cranked a few times it hit and died ...cranked and starter stuck even with iginition off :( finally quit . Tried it again and bike started. Took off bike ran fine went to buddies house worked on his KZ1000 CSR got it running , while there worked on another guys 78 Honda 750 . My buddy is trading a couple of dirt bikes for an 82 XJ1100 Maxim ...I'm jealous :rolleyes: ..rode way out in the sticks was a good day.

wgul and Dadoseven like this.
  2. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Funny how one good ride can overrule all the negatives...

Jetfixer likes this.
  3. dowski68

dowski68 Well-Known Member

2017-08-14 19.33.10.jpg Enjoying the ride my friends.
    Another mile stone accomplished.
    Actually I have a few goals
    One-Enjoy the Ride!
    Two-All ways utilize the entire tire to get my monies worth :)
    Three-Put as many miles on as possible.

Attached Files:

4. fiveofakind

fiveofakind Well-Known Member

Dow,

Have you had the bike all 68k ?

5. Joe34

Joe34 Active Member

Mine is getting a tune up. So can't wait to get back on it. Guess the carbs were pretty dirty. Can't wait to try it out.

6. wgul

wgul Active Member

Changed the rear hypoid gear oil. I don't think the previous owner had ever changed it.

Stumplifter likes this.
  7. Plug

Plug Active Member

Got the carbs back on the 750, synced it, went for a 20 mile ride.......runs like a scalded dog! Came back and installed my 5.6k resistor to turn my battery warning off. Good day, my new bike is done!

Jetfixer, Stumplifter and Dadoseven like this.
  8. Wintersdark

Wintersdark Well-Known Member

5.6kohm you say? Where are you installing that? I'd love to be down to just one annoying CMS complaint (TAIL).

9. Plug

Plug Active Member

I put it between the positive terminal on the battery and the white red stripe wire. Rooster53 has a good write up on it here. He calculated that the 5.6k will trip the warning at about 11v, so it will still give you a heads up if something is wrong in the charging circuit.

Wintersdark likes this.
  10. dowski68

I would like to say yes but no. I am the third owner.
    Original owner bought the bike brand new and logged on about 42,000 before he sold her to a young kid who only rode it for one season here in Southern Oregon. Got a DUI and needed the money so I picked her up for 1300.00 with 44,000 thousand.
    I have had her for close to five years now and put 24,000 on myself.
    This is also my first motorcycle I have ever owned.
    I also have had to rebuild the top end due to lack of valve maintenance from Previous owner. 44,000 miles past the recommended valve adjustment. Other then that no problems other then tires LOL.

Jetfixer likes this.
  11. dowski68

This evening told the wife I was going for a ride as it finally cooled off and I finished replacing the oil seal and timing belt on sister in laws car. And she was like I haven't seen you all day. I was right out front the whole time babe still going, FINE. Off I go and along the way I figured I would pick her up some chocolate and popcorn for the G-kids. Oh and the Walmart that I went to was 48 miles round trip :) :rolleyes:
    Got home and asked wife to come over and help me and she came over and when she saw the chocolate and the popcorn All was WELL.
    On another note SAFETY
    I was coming down the road 4 lanes two each way with a middle lane. Out comes this car and I am thinking oh they are just going to slide into the middle lane until I pass but then my Motorcycle side of my brain says NO THEY ARN'T and low and behold that's what happened. Let off the throttle from 45 mph the posted limit and rolled right up on them-like blinding them with the headlight Low Beam. They moved over rather quickly and when I pulled up beside them I get this look like what your problem.
    I just shrugged it off and kept on going there is enough stupidity out on the roads as it is.
    Just another reminder of ALL WAYS be alert to changing situations on the roads.
    Ride Safe People! :D

12. dowski68

All most forgot I stopped by the auto parts store to return some unused items and there is this Virago.

So I go inside and ask who owns the Virago and a wiser man (60ish) says that it is his. So of course I am like what year and he responds 83, how many miles you got on her close to 100,000. Really and any problems he responds with a smile it is the best bike I have ever owned and other then needing a new battery (current one has been in there for 5 yrs.) nothing. Damn what CC is it he states the it is a 920 that one through me off. Not sure if that is a stock displacement of not either way still very nice bike with lots of miles.

13. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

Bravo! Good move on your part, it is often too easy to go to anger - then you put yourself in a dangerous place.

Rooster53 likes this.
  14. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Yes Yamaha made a 500,535,750, 920 ,1100 Virago 81-93 as I recall . I had an 82 750 loved it and cursed at it .. learned a lot about starters went thru 4 finally got it right on the 4th starter when I got Dr viragos starter kit .. Got carbs straightened out , got it running good and wife said sell it , put it up for sale for 1500$ sold it same day I put it on CL . I miss that bike , but got others along the way.

15. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

1000 cc also - 1984

16. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

Pickup with tinted windows pulled out on me the other day. Laid on horn, swerved to right shoulder and past him. Couldn't see driver.

Next morning a guy who works down the hall came down to apologize. He was the driver, said his pickup has big blind spot.

Always be looking for other guy to not see you, and road rage accomplishes nothing but more problems.

Jetfixer, Wintersdark and Stumplifter like this.
  17. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

always assume that no one can see you

Timbox and Wintersdark like this.
  18. turpentyne

turpentyne Active Member

Man! I wish I'd known at the time! I made it through two starters... the bike got stolen before I knew about the fix kit!

19. dowski68

I have learned through the years that getting angry is a waste of my time and energy and solves nothing.
    Be the wagging dogs tail much more enjoyable.

Stumplifter likes this.
  20. dowski68

I am not sure how often everybody else changes their oil but I change mine every thousand miles + oil filter.
    Just like I am in the process of currently (waiting for oil to drain). I also do this after a good 20+ mile ride.
    Anyway my point being is that I just recently read in the manual that Yamaha recommends changing the oil filter every other oil change. WHAT,
    although Yamaha recommends it I feel better about changing both oil and filter at the same time.
    On another note I also change the gear oil every other oil change for poops and giggles.
    I run 80/90 gear oil as the temp in this area runs 70 to 110 F. on any given day from May to September.
    Well work week starts tomorrow hope everybody has time to go riding over the weekend I sure did.:)