1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Time to hook it back up...Help?

Discussion in 'Reviews - Service, Online, Retail Shop' started by Cafe_Guy94, Apr 2, 2017.

1. Wintersdark

Wintersdark Well-Known Member

Congrats! Always nice to get a project to actually run, even if badly. Once she runs, you know the end is at least in sight!

2. Cafe_Guy94

Cafe_Guy94 Member

Thanks guys. You all have been a lot of help. I'm not so sure it would have happened without you're help and a lot of time on YouTube

3. Cafe_Guy94

Cafe_Guy94 Member

Okay so I decided to put my battery and excess wire inside a old military ammo box and mount it under the seat. My battery level was at 12.00v (I know a little low) but I was just checking to see if it was gonna be okay. But when I went to turn it over the battery drops to 4.17v? Does this mean I have a bad ground somewhere? I'm just not sure. It was turning over fine last week then when I put my battery and other electronics in the box it started dropping way too low.

4. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Either a bad battery or a short

Wintersdark likes this.
  5. Cafe_Guy94

Cafe_Guy94 Member

So I charged my battery fully it was at 12.69 When I hooked it up to the bike. It dropped to 10.00 when I turned it over. But the starter is still really sluggish and when I checked the ignitor box I saw that it shorted and burned one of the connections. Pretty bummed. Found one on eBay for 47 bucks. But still sucks. One step forward 3 steps back I feel like.

6. Cafe_Guy94

Cafe_Guy94 Member

So my battery was bad. I got a new one today (luckily it was still under warranty.) But... Now my gas is all rusty. I guess I didn't clean the tank well enough. Now this might be a dumb question but I'm gonna ask anyways. I know it wouldnt be good to use the rusty gas. But if I have a new fuel filter what would happen if I used it? I'm just curious. Not planning on it but just thought I'd ask.

7. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

if you were a skydiver, you wouldn't be able to share a mistake like that with us
    you'll be in the left lane on the freeway and the carbs will plug up, the bike will die and a 18 wheeler will get stopped 2 feet from your tail light. then you can push it across three lanes with a load of s*** in your pants

8. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Eloquent as ever, Professor Polock!

9. Cafe_Guy94

Cafe_Guy94 Member

Alrighty so I got the gas tank cleaned up and I've been trying to start it. It acts like it wants to start it'll get the low "wump wump" sound going on then it'll start for about a second then it dies. I am not quite sure what's going on? I checked my spark plugs and they're all a little dark so I know they're getting gas but it just dies. Even with the choke on or off.

10. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Sounds like not-enough gas, and/or NOT enough carburetors

11. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

I"m concerned oveer how you cleaned the rusty tank, and what you did to the tank to prevent further rust from forming. Is sounds like you just left it bare steel after cleaning. You will continue to have rust problems if you don't rustproof the tank, either by lining it, or by pickling it with Phosphoric Acid.

12. Cafe_Guy94

Cafe_Guy94 Member

I cleaned it with white vinegar and some bolts by shaking it around. Then I used some kreem to line it. It seems to be doing good.

13. Cafe_Guy94

Cafe_Guy94 Member

I mean it's got gas and what do you mean by not enough carbs?