1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

How did you get here?

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by SnoSheriff, Jun 1, 2006.

1. Glen Botterbrodt

Glen Botterbrodt Member

My last motorcycle was stolen, then recovered, then totaled. I accepted the insurance payout and tried to just wait.... Everyday I ended up searching for motorcycles, something smaller and less scary (I'm a conservative rider) than my 2012 Triumph Speed Triple R 1050 (124rwhp) to fill my recent void in life. My wife has a 1980 xs400 at her apartment in Mississippi where she is stationed; 1k miles is a bit far for a project to wrench on. I looked into older motorcycles due to the lower up front cost, and I like a project. A RD200 caught my attention (always been drawn towards Yamahas) but without a title, I lost interest; then I found an ad for a 1982 xj650 seca..... I was hooked!

Of course I had to research a bit and found the site and all the information. I held off joining until I actually got the bike. And now I have it and it needs a good amount of work to get on the road again. But at least I own a motorcycle again.

20170730_181334.jpg

2. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Lightcs1776 likes this.
  3. Wordman

Wordman Member

Was in the process of buying an XJ550 Seca, did a web search for "XJ550 Seca forum," found the group and joined. If you want, join up at my Facebook group, www.facebook.com/groups/697824790419933/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel (dedicated to the chain drive models based around the XJ550 engine) and let everyone know about the group. I'll post up about it too, but it would be great if others joined and talked the forum up.

4. Glen Botterbrodt

Glen Botterbrodt Member

I plan to get it on the road and enjoy a bit; then one day do a full nut and bolt restoration.

Lightcs1776 likes this.
  5. joe elliff

joe elliff Active Member

Hmm. Long story short. A few years ago I had purchased a 82 seca which was utterly disgusting in appearance. Lime green and purple. I stripped it all down and then winter came and I completely lost interest. Sold it for a song.

2 years ago I started missing the look of that bike with the scalloped tank and all. Found another in Indianapolis for 500$ with 11k miles on it. Right. Another project at that price although it did run and drive. Was on the look out for a parts bike a few months ago and found one. 320$. Done. Til I got it home and had it fixed in 15 minutes. Well. I now have 2 and an extra motor to boot. Happy to be here with all the good ppl and knowledge base available

I couldn't be happier

Attached Files:

hogfiddles, Rooster53 and Stumplifter like this.
  6. Artyusmc

Artyusmc New Member

Had a new 85 xj 700x bought in 29palms
    Looking for another in California

Stumplifter and hogfiddles like this.
  7. Insomniskull

Insomniskull New Member

Found through Ixquick searching up XJ650r exhaust, valves, synch carbs... Been peeking for years before finally registering.

8. bollard

bollard New Member

googled xj 600 - no clubs/forums for my model in the UK, it's the early version called first generation seca in the US or the FJ600 1984 -91

9. dowski68

dowski68 Well-Known Member

Congrats I happen to have the 86 xj700x here in Medford Oregon.
    Welcome to the site.
    Got any pics ?

10. CactusJack578

CactusJack578 Member

Nice bike. Every time I see one I kick myself for selling the one I had before I tried to get it running. It had been sitting a few years and looked just like yours. No damage just ignored. Maybe one day I'll find another. Good Luck with yours. Keep us in touch and keep us up to date with your progress. Jack

11. apotheon

apotheon New Member

I got a Midnight Maxim as my first XJ650 from an acquaintance around 2001, $400 or so, running smoothly. It was great, until stuff started falling apart a few months later. The funnest part was when I grabbed the front brake lever and it did nothing but squirt brake fluid across my glove. I Flintstone-stopped it, dragging my boots on the pavement until the whole bike was just inside the intersection, then walked it back out of traffic. Luckily I was only doing about 20MPH before I started coming up to the intersection. I didn't get around to fixing that deathtrap before I had to move across the country (family stuff), though I sure as hell did get the brakes fixed within a few days. When I moved, I sold the bike to a friend with full "this thing needs work, don't get yourself killed" warnings for forty bucks.

Last year, I traded a broken car for my second XJ650. It's a 1981 Maxim with a dented tank and non-operational turn signals. I got a relay (the , and tested it by bridging contacts with a screwdriver to get the lights blinking, but the switch in the left-side controls had disintegrated, so my next step is replacing that. I have some other changes in mind, including getting a different tank (the current tank is dented, and I want a Seca tank anyway) and different handlebars.

I found this site by looking for information I'll need while working on my "new" Maxim. I used a DuckDuckGo web search to find it, and specifically searched for an XJ650-friendly forum because I have found that forums seem to be the places to go for communities that know about specific bike models.

[​IMG]

Those handlebars are twisted back because when they're upright I can't see past my shoulders in the mirrors. That's pretty sad, considering I don't have the world's broadest shoulders.

rocs82650 and Stumplifter like this.
  12. Jon Iszard

Jon Iszard New Member

I bought a 1985 XJ700N in great condition (9600 miles) two weeks ago, and was looking to learn what I could when Google listed this site. I joined just now - first post. Previous (original) female owner had ridden the bike every year from new, but not often, and had several things done to it (new battery, brakes, carb sync, fluids and filters change) to get it ready to sell. Fell in love with it on the test ride. Love this bike and other mid-80s Japanese 4 cylinder machines.

Stumplifter likes this.
  13. hogfiddles

Hi Jon-- yep, the xj platform is awesome. You'll love the 700 more and more as time goes by

Jon Iszard likes this.
  14. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Quick question for Jon: does your 700 have a radiator? If so, it's a 700x, which is a completely different (and more powerful) engine.

Jon Iszard likes this.
  15. hogfiddles

Being that he said XJ700N, I'm betting it doesn't have one.

16. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Did they not make the x that year?

17. Jon Iszard

Jon Iszard New Member

No, it does not. I felt lucky enough to find the 2 valve air-cooled version in such fine condition.

18. Jon Iszard

Jon Iszard New Member

Thanks for the resource in your signature. I'm reading everything I can get on the bike. Here is my new bike, since cleaned up a bit:

IMG_1863.jpg

rocs82650 likes this.
  19. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Yeah, you should feel lucky. I am fond of the minimalist look of air cooled engines. And the rims on that model are my favorite on any xj. For an excellent example, you should check out hogfiddles' pseudo bob in the showcase section.

20. Ketchup

Ketchup Member

First post might as well be in "General" - better yet, the "How did you get here?" thread. Had been itching to get into a street moto again - something I could cafe/brat/tinker without much concern. Landed on a 1981 XJ550 @ 1/6/18; 20,000mi; running/driving/registered/insured when purchased. Found a small gathering of like minded people [here] and decided to pull the trigger on the bike. The great, all-seeing eye Google was responsible for that.

I believe I am the third owner of the bike. PO didn't fix much of anything. I'm about $60 into bringing the bike up to a "somewhat" rideable standpoint, excluding cost of bike. Bike appears to be nearly all original less the tires, KG rack, hodgepodge starter relay/solenoid. PO laid down at low speed as I am told - damage to tank, bar end, KG rack, right top shock nut, shifted/bent headlight assembly and probably damaged the internals of the Atari tachometer. Fork dust boots + seals completed recently - compression seems funky though - I'll probably tack on springs to the lower list. Otherwise, bike seems stock! Shoot, the wire looming isn't even cut!

To date I have corrected:
    1. Left turn signal not flashing (turned out to be desoldered connection on thumb switch contact)
    2. Starter circuit (1st owner failed to replace starter relay/solenoid unit - rather, opting to install a hotwired push button starter switch in place of relay/solenoid)
    3. Intake boot vacuum leaks (dry rotted vacuum nipples on carb sync vacuum ports)
    4. Headlight relay
    5. Turn signal relay (contacts cleaned)
    6. Front brake master cylinder cap screws
    7. KG rack + rear passenger footpegs removed

Items en route:
    1. Flat bars 30"
    2. Front brake hoses (found out a Yamaha TTR230 front hose will 'work' - about 2" longer than the entire stock xj550 setup)
    3. valve cover gasket (will probably be reaching out about shims if new shims cannot be sourced; can we swap in hotter cams? shim status unknown by PO - has a pretty healthy tick from all valves via stethoscope)
    4. Service manual

Items to be completed before its registered/insured/streeted:
    1. Intake/carb boots
    2. Chain + sprockets (stepping up to 17t front - I'm a lightweight - this bike really flies stock)
    3. Tachometer (non-functional at the moment - tach cable rotates with engine rotation)
    4. Tires, tires, tires. Has two front tires on it. One from a Harley. Front tire partially dry rotted - rear tire out of usable life range via mfr date
    5. Carb rebuild/jet; retaining stock airbox.
    6. Carb sync
    7. New oil
    8. Front + rear brake inspection/rebuild/replacement pro re nata
    9. Maintenance items not listed above

Considering customization/changes after streeted:
    1. Seca rear wheel swap (want to run k60's all round and they arent sold in 16"s; heidenautires. c o m /dual-sport-tires/ <--spaces)
    2. Atari delete; opt for single digital or two small dig/mech gauges
    3. Custom seat; cafe rear; (remove tail section + bracketry + signals + fender; MillerMatic175 + rear hoop)
    4. LED signals
    5. Minimalist wiring + handlebar controls
    6. 4-2-1 + wrap
    7. Fuse box; minimalist wiring;

Stable:
    1. 2006 TTR230 - OEM resto project; nabbed for stupid cheap; rear hub rebuild; OEM carb; various nuts/bolts; DONE.
    2. 1981 XJ550 - Going to be my cafe/brat/scrambler town scooter.
    3. Previously owned 1981 Honda CX500
    4. Previously owned 2006 Yamaha TTR125
    5. Huge toolbox, a MillerMatic 175 + accompanying equipment, an oxy/ace torch, and an overzealous appetite to tinker

This forum has been indispensable to my success in correcting the above items, as well as foresight to set goals on customization. Thank you to everyone of this forum for that!

Did I mention I really enjoy bullet points? There's also a Seca 750 running for sale in my area, but no title and needs a fair bit of work - $300. Just FYI..

Bike purchased condition = Avatar

~Ketchup