1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Oil/Gas Leak from Exhaust Manifold/Turbo Unit - 82 Seca Turbo

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Masterx, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Masterx

Masterx Member

My father came into the house this morning and told me to check in the garage. Apparently overnight my 82 Seca Turbo decided to just have a massive leak that filled the entirety of the garage. Just got in from cleaning it up and am pretty disheartened.

About a year ago I replaced the Turbo Unit from XJ4ever. Bike was running fine. I got out on it on average 2-3 times a month.

A few months back I posted here about an oil leak. Someone recommended checking the check relief valve that allocates oil to the turbo unit. I changed my oil, cleaned out the valve, and the leak stopped.

And this morning there was oil all over the garage floor. I noticed that the oil itself had a particular hint of gasoline smell to it. The way it was dripping from the manifold cued me in to it.

At this point where do I go from here?

I am wondering if my mechanic who replaced the turbo unit didn't completely seal something and that it finally let go. Could it be that?

Could it be a turbo seal?

What direction could you point me in? I plan on calling my mechanic but I was hoping for a little guidance before making the call.

I am attaching a photo that show the noticeable leaking areas. The drain plug looks wet but I haven't seen anything specifically dripping from it.

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      175.4 KB
      Views:
  2. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Typical issue for us long term Turbo owners. As you noted, you cleaned the check valve on the oil supply side and it stopped leaking. You may have to re-visit that check valve. Des, a member over on the Turbo owners forum sells refinished valves. Or, you might want to install another check valve. What happens over time is that the seal on the scavenge pump which pulls the oil through the turbocharger fails, allowing oil to leak back through the return line pooling in the turbo's body until it leaks. It also causes quite a smokey start when you go for a ride but it clears up in a few miles.

Read how and why here:
    https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/tmi...t-least-minimizing-turbo-oil-leaks-t2518.html

jeff

3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

massive leak? how much oil did you lose? check your fuel tank.

4. Masterx

Masterx Member

It's not pretty, XJ550H.

Attached Files:

5. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Yeesh. That's a mess! My first thought was the float needle in the carbs, but I know nothing about the turbo models. Jeff is probably righter than me.

6. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

thats quite a bit of oil is your gas tank empty?

7. Masterx

Masterx Member

I have 4 miles on the odometer since my last fill up, and I fill it to the opening mouth of the tank. So I still have plenty left. But definitely some leaked out somewhere. You can see the gas level.

Attached Files:

8. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

If the oil smells of gas, then it's the float needles and/or seats (with the petcock being a potential contributor) even on a turbo.

9. WCO56

WCO56 New Member

Masterx, how did you ever make out with this leaking turbo issue? It looks like you kept the bike so I assume you found a solution to the problem.