1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Late model xj600 51j

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Myke D, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Myke D

Myke D New Member

I bought an xj600 motor a few years ago and have finally got around to fitting it into my xj550 frame, thing is that it has a different pickup system to my 550, it has a single pickup and a flywheel (or rotor) underneath the left hand engine cover with 3 square contacts and 1 long one which I assume is for #1 firing, I have a hot ignitor from my old 900 which will probably work with this motor assuming that I can't use the 550 one, does anyone have any info about this single pickup configuration, my friend and I have a few ideas but nothing concrete, all info welcomed at this stage

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

you need the tci that goes with the xj600 the 2 pickup system fires the tci twice per revolution so if it is possible to wire a 550 or 900 tci to your 1 pick up system it would fire once per revolution with the 550 tci. if you could mount the 550 pickup plate and pickups on to the 600 it may work

k-moe likes this.
  3. XJ550H

4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

The 900 TCI will have a different timing advance.

5. Myke D

Myke D New Member

OK, does anyone have the parts I need? I can't seem to find anything here in NZ, a couple of ignitors on ebay from sellers who won't ship to my country... Or can anyone recommend a wrecker who might ship my way?

6. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

Maybe these guys can help..

http://hyperpak.co.nz/Home/

or PM Kickaha on this site - he's the Kiwi guru on 550/600 stuff.

Cheers

James

7. Myke D

Myke D New Member

Would you believe it, the ignitor for my new motor is a digital one which they don't manufacture... As I continue my quest for this holy grail component, I stumbled across a company who want my left one for an after market one or a mod to my existing ignitor, has anyone ever dealt with Carmo Electronics? they seem to be based in several countries

8. a100man

No new one on me. What makes your (needed) TCI a 'digital one' btw ?

9. a100man

10. XJ550H

may have something to do with the single pickup coil vs the dual pick up coils XJs have

11. Myke D

Myke D New Member

Yes, that seems to be the point of difference. Luckily I have just found an ignitor for $140, it's a TDI14-78, have just paid the guy and will collect it tomorrow night. Feeling very happy about this....

Next question, as my new motor had it's wires cut instead of simply unplugging the connector from the ignitor, can someone PLEASE tell me exactly which wire goes where on both ignitor plugs? I will have to rewire the 550 coil etc wires on one side and the pickup wires for the other, I would hate to fry this ignitor because I put a wire in the wrong place

12. Kickaha

Kickaha Active Member Premium Member

13. a100man

Any one else in NZ know more? Seems unlikely..

Anyhow back to the case in point. You will need to check the wiring diagram of the late model XJ. From what I recall the 6pin socket is the one that feeds teh coils - the hypertak website has a useful Yamaha PDF you can download to cross reference. I also recall that the position of the connectors on the TCI can change sometimes coil outputs on left hand side and sometimes not so it can be confusing! I connected a Radian Motor/TCI into my 550 loom and there were some changes to make. Somewhere on here is a thread but I can't find it..

14. Myke D

Myke D New Member

Yes, strangely I have to reroute the plugs to the other side of my new ignitor hence my request for the good oil on what goes where, I was simply asking if anyone whose bike uses an ignitor ending with either 78 or 79 could take a pic of their plugs and tell me what colours go where so I can pop out the wires on my 550 and reinsert them in the right slots, cheers in advance...

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017