1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

For Sale Letting go of my '82 XJ750 Seca

Discussion in 'For Sale, Trade/Swap, Wanted' started by Old Radar, Feb 25, 2016.

1. Old Radar

Old Radar New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After 34 years of owning her, it’s time to let her go. I really don’t want to, but the wife wants to move her car in the garage and there just isn’t enough room with the Seca, a HD Fatboy, my ’89 Toyota Supra and two workbenches. She no longer believes I’m ever going to find time to get the Seca back on the road and I hate to admit it, but she’s probably right.

Here’s the scoop:

The good:

9,377 miles.
    Rebuilt and repainted 11 years ago and hasn’t been on the road since the checkout.
    No dings and no Bondo under the paint.
    Completely original except the exhaust, rear shocks and fuse box.
    Has owner’s manual, tool kit and built-in lock & chain.
    Has always been garage kept.
    I only rode it in the rain once.
    I didn’t install the tank emblems after the repaint, but I have them (and the rear-view mirrors).

The bad:

The gas tank has rust on the inside and a botched sealing job (from the rebuild).
    I haven’t run it since rust showed up in the fuel filter (8-9 years).
    The tires still have the sprues from the molding process—but they’re 11 years old.

I wanted to offer her up to the XJ community first since I’ll feel better knowing she’ll go to a good home.
    I'd like to get $1500 for her. Standing by to answer questions.

2. ElkHavenSeca

ElkHavenSeca Active Member

Wow i have had mine 35 years too, and i just bought an FJR 1300 . I tossed the extra lawn mower out to make room. My wife knows if she made demands on my garage space her Ninja and Hay would be next. Sorry you have to part ways

3. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Beautiful bike!

4. quebecois59

quebecois59 Well-Known Member

Very nice bike. WHat mufflers are these?

5. Old Radar

Old Radar New Member

Honestly, I cannot recall. I do recall they were the only set of pipes I could find that fit and looked somewhat like the originals. When I overhauled the bike 11 years ago I remember that a new set of OEM pipes was going for over $600 so I wasn't tempted to go that way!

6. Old Radar

Old Radar New Member

I appreciate the complements and everyone that has viewed this thread. Since I do need to move the bike to a new owner and if there is no interest here, I'll be uploading it to Craigslist next week.

7. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

I would like to say that if my financial situation allowed, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. GLWS.

8. skiprrdog

skiprrdog Active Member

Man, I just sold my white/burgundy 1989 Supra about a month ago. Was packing some stuff up the other day and ran across the factory manual for it, and I thought I was going to start crying :)

9. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

I'm going ot bump this with a thought to consider. The asking price of this bike is well under the cost of restoring the typical rider-condition Seca 750. I have ~$1300 into mine and it's still not cosmetically correct (and will likely never be). In my opinion, even if you were to make the assumption the usual mechanical systems need attention (brake rebuild, carb rebuild, fusebox, etc.) it's still a fair asking price. I rarely talk-up a nother person's sale, but in this case I'd like to see it go to someone who will appreciate a well sorted Seca (unfortunately it can't be me :( ).

10. Old Radar

Old Radar New Member

I understand the sentiment completely! As with my Seca, I’m the original owner of my ’89 Supra. It’s my daily driver and I’ll keep it until I don’t have strength to push the clutch in anymore! Here’s a picture—I guess I like red road machines.

[​IMG]

11. Old Radar

Old Radar New Member

I’m grateful for your assessment and kind words k-moe. I understand the many issues involved with buying a motorcycle—or any high-dollar toy—let alone one that is 34 years old, being sold by a new and unknown member of the forum and that is outside most prospective buyers comfortable driving distance to inspect. We share the hope that someone who will appreciate the Seca for the awesome bike it is will come forward instead of someone who wants to turn it into a café racer.

12. Old Radar

Old Radar New Member

Posted today on San Antonio Craigslist.

13. hogfiddles

Nice car :)

14. Tim morris

Tim morris Active Member Premium Member

Keep the bike. I bought a race car trailer ,put in electrical ,TV and I heat it. all my tools fit and A bike lift MAN CAVE

Andrew Nichols and jayrodoh like this.
  15. Tim morris

Tim morris Active Member Premium Member

Did you sell

16. tinnian

tinnian New Member

Tim, I just looked at CL and apparently he still has it. The ad was update about 2 hours ago. I want to go look at it being that he's about 10 minutes from me, but I know what will happen and I just don't have room for another vehicle.

17. hogfiddles

Uh-oh..... Only 10 min away, huh?

I think I know what's gonna happen--- lol

k-moe likes this.
  18. Old Radar

Old Radar New Member

Well, life happened. Two years have gone by with the Seca sitting under cover in the back of my garage while I worked, traveled, played with the Supra, and a thousand other things. Nothing has changed with the Seca except it has gotten two years older and I'm still tripping over it. Back then I got a fair response from my Craigslist ad but most people just drooled over the great condition but didn't want to commit because they couldn't take it home and start ridding it that day. I understand. Most people aren't interested if the bike's not running.

I know that most of the members are scattered throughout the country, but give me a shout if you think you could be interested. Pictures and condition are up top in Post#1.

wgul likes this.
  19. ElkHavenSeca

ElkHavenSeca Active Member

This thread just popped up in my e mail . is this bike still for sale ? And how much. I have room in my garage for another

Attached Files:

Madmax-im likes this.
  20. Tim O

Tim O Active Member

I'm tempted to buy it and put my newly rebuilt carbs from my bike on and sell my bike...