1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

81 XJ650 MAXIM Throttle Issues

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Z_Manley, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Z_Manley

Z_Manley New Member

Hey guys,

I have a 1981 xj650 maxim that I'm having throttle issues with. I believe that it could just be an older seized cable that im dealing with because it isn't responding completely when I open the throttle. It will only open to a few thousand rpms if that and it seems to lag. I had a similar issue with the choke cable only opening a limited amount and when i replaced the cable I had no issue using it to open the throttle all the way to 12k and it was very responsive. So I'm hoping my throttle cable is just shot just like my choke cable seemed to be I have gone through the carburetors thoroughly and know that they are in working order the bike idles fine and runs well, I'm just having this throttle issue and wondering if anyone could provide me with insight into my issue. Has anyone else experienced this problem and what should I do? Riding season is about to begin and I'm itching to ride. Any input helps thanks guys

2. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

Doubtful its your cable. When you open the throttle it pulls open the butterflies. The only way it can't is if its snapped.
    To verify this neel down to look at the linkages, open the throttle and watch.
    I also question how you could use the choke to get the engine to rev to 12k? Doesn't sound right to me.
    You have fuel issues, not throttle cable issues.

3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

you can lube the throttle cable or buy a new one best to get a new one.

clean and graphite the throttle tube and handlebar when you replace the cable
    ou should be able to see where the throttle linkage connects to carbs lift the linkahe rpms should climb 10k rpm is redline

4. Z_Manley

Z_Manley New Member

I was considering the possibility of it being fuel issues as well but maybe and its 10k redline not 12k when i can take the choke and pull them wide open with the cable to see that it opens, regardless all i was saying it definitely opens up. I've also checked by the throttle linkage to lift it and the same lazy reving rpms occur.

5. XJ550H

do you have the choke and throttle cables reversed on carbs?
    choke holder clamps , throttle is a cup between carb 2 and 3
    look at this link
    OWWW, My Eyes!

did the choke race up to 10k rpm or slowly climb?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  6. Z_Manley

Z_Manley New Member

You know what i might have then reversed i never considered that wow I'll check that and let you know stupid mistakes haha

7. XJ550H

happens quite a lot just a learning process.

these statements make it sound like thats the issue.

good rule of thumb is
    look for the simple things first.

8. Z_Manley

Z_Manley New Member

Thank you that was the issue i just flipped the cables and boy do i feel dumb haha but hey like you said it is a learning process and this is my first shot at bikes too. Thank you very much for all of the help

XJ550H likes this.
  9. Minimutly

Yup, pretty dumb...
    well done for admitting it though...:)

10. Z_Manley

Z_Manley New Member

At least it was something minor i mean I've never dealt with bikes before and I've gone through the bike top too bottom, Im in the process of making a rat bike out of my XJ it's a collection of things but at least it's unique to my prefered style and I love it. Stupid mistakes can be made clearly as i made one here haha but thanks for the help guys

11. Minimutly

The logical thing to do was to look at the linkage opening the butterflies before starting it - see my first post. But then I have been doing something similar to this for a number of years. Never be afraid to ask though.