1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

My 81 xj550 Maxim build

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by cruzin, Jun 8, 2017.

1. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Hold on.
    You ditched the airbox to free up space in the frame, then put in a box that is the same general size and shape of the airbox, that only holds all of the components that the airbox held, but wihout it being an airbox?!
    I get that it looks better, but I think you have the opportunity here to turn it into an airbox that looks good, and holds the electronics, without the disadvantages of using pods.
    Maybe a version 2 later on.

Chitwood likes this.
  2. cruzin

cruzin Active Member

image.jpg Put the remaining holes in it and 3 coats of black

3. cruzin

cruzin Active Member

K-moe I really have considered that very thing. Maybe in version 2

k-moe and Chitwood like this.
  4. cruzin

cruzin Active Member

Back in my posts I had plans to make some kind of air box have not go to it yet. And I forgot to mention no air box came with the bike.

5. cruzin

cruzin Active Member

E569D5BA-E8CF-4087-B40B-641C82923306.jpeg FEB346EF-077D-4E2F-8267-9E366AC5DCA8.jpeg Finishing my electronics box. Should have made it bigger. Waiting on a mini relay to put in the bucket for high low beam. And I clear coated my tank, fender and sissy bar

6. cruzin

cruzin Active Member

The new wiring is all done. Yesterday I put on new front and rear sprockets and ran the new chain through but they sent me the wrong master link for the chain. So now I have to wait to see if the chain seller will send me the proper master link or I have to shop for just a o-ring master link. The bike is coming along. I have new front brake master cylinder to put on and new brake line and fittings a new front tire to put on when I get the chain wrapped up.

Chitwood likes this.
  7. cruzin

cruzin Active Member

Rode the bike yesterday. Runs great. very cold ride. I got a new master cylinder for the front brake and put new seals in the calliper just need to hook up the fluid line and the bike will be done. Unless I get around to making some forward controls. Remains to be seen.

k-moe likes this.
  8. sybe

sybe Active Member

you got a sweet looking bike. Love the tank setup and the angle you have it, the leather work and the uni pods! this is a top notch A+ build. I am typically not a sissy bar fan but the sizing you made looks classy.

9. cruzin

cruzin Active Member

Hey sybe, thanks for comments. I was just out looking at it thinking Id like to lower the front tubes to match the lowered rear end. Did not find much information on the site about it. I just finished up another bike I did also over the winter and to lower the front all I had to do was cut 2 inches on the spacer tube thats right below the top caps easy as pie. I do appreciate the kind words.

10. cruzin

cruzin Active Member

Here is a picture in probably its finished state and the other project bike I did over winter a 03 vt600. A one carb engine a treat to build.
    3F4CAB80-112B-4F00-A358-9ECDEEBA56D2.jpeg C1779595-7317-4C54-BAB5-E236273FCA0C.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  11. sybe

sybe Active Member

There was a post on here at one time that gave a diagram about lowing the front end of the XJ. I tried to look for it and i couldn't find it, but it was similar to cutting the spacer inside the forks. I know there are issues with changing the angle of the drive shaft, from what i remember reading the max is 2". To test the stance and the drive shaft angle you can always loosen the forks in the triple tree and let it slide down 2".

This link should help.
    http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7330

The honda looks sick. Adding silver leaf pin striping on the side of the tank would look sick or even since its matte black do a design in black gloss for a 2 tone effect.

12. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

How is the 600 vtwin engine? I've heard that they can outrun the newer 750 mill.

13. cruzin

cruzin Active Member

I thought about some decals or something to set the tank off. I checked the link on fork lowering and I think the xs is a bit different. And my xj550 is chain drive. I got a xs650 I bobbed a few years ago. My avatar is a picture of it. Its a fun bike and their style is very cool imo.
    As for the motor on the vt600 it seems to be fairly power full but I have put about 60 miles on it just last week. Still making changes to the jets I think one more step up on the main jet and it will be done. But I want to get out on the road with a plug wrench so I can run it a some speeds and kill the motor and check plug colour. Ive already changed jets 3 times but not a real hard job on the single carb bike. I changed the gearing some also so it probably not going to set any records. I have only rode the xj550 (chain drive) a few times on the road as I have no license plates on it. But I think the 550 will beat the twin honda hands down.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  14. cruzin

cruzin Active Member

xs.jpg

15. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

Cruzin That's a sweet ride

16. sybe

sybe Active Member

wow, everything on that bike is done right. Even the yellow spark plug cable looks good. when i move out of NYC my next build will either be an xs or honda or a virago.

I thought the forks on your xj550 are similar in the tub construction. Looking at the 81 xj550 seca diagrams i cant tell what can be cut.

17. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

easy way is to just bring fork tubes up through the triple trees then you can clamp clipons to that

18. cruzin

cruzin Active Member

my xj is a maxim model If I ever get a cnc mill I would be making the top tree for something like clampons but they would look strange with the built in risers that that xj has. And they are hollow so you cant really shave them off. thanks guys.

19. Ribo

Ribo Prefectionist

Austin Texas USA ( a long way from the UK )
    Do you have plans for a front mud-guard or no.. if no then maybe a fork brace would be a good idea... nice looking bike.

20. cruzin

cruzin Active Member

Didnt think Id put one on. I guess they are more that just to keep the mud out of your face. Can a fork brace be bought for this model? xj550 I dont think I can make one.