1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Bleeding brakes

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Evan Hawtrey, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Evan Hawtrey

Evan Hawtrey Member

do I need a brake bleeder? Or can I use brake lever?

2. Paul Howells

Paul Howells Active Member

It depends on your model. You should add yours to your signature.

If the master cylinder is on the handlebars like on my xj700n then you can probably get away with using the brake lever.

I understand that some of the Seca models have a smaller master cylinder hidden below the instrument cluster that can be difficult to bleed. Rather than using a brake bleeder I have read that you can fill the system in reverse by pushing the fluid into the bleeder valves using a syringe.

The are a lot of detailed postings on this so you should do some searching on this site regardless of what model you have.

Evan Hawtrey likes this.
  3. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

The Seca 750 master cylinder is below headlight , a brake bleeder is best option and are cheap think I paid 20$ for mine had it for years good investment for both Bikes and Cars .

Evan Hawtrey likes this.
  4. tabaka45

tabaka45 Well-Known Member

Get one of these and a foot of vinyl tubing and reverse bleed the brakes. Took me about 15 minutes after a complete rebuild of calipers, master cyl, and brake lines. Fill the syringe, attach the tubing to the syringe and then to the bleeder valve and push the fluid into the caliper and up into the master cyl pushing the air out the top. Syringe is available on eBay and any farm supply store and probably Walmart.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/60ml-Plast...571104?hash=item3f682abd60:g:-lgAAOSwqfNXo0cH

5. tabaka45

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  6. Xjrider92117

Xjrider92117 Active Member

7. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

The thing that makes the brakes difficult to bleed is the way the that caliper castings were drilled. How difficult they are varies by the complexity of the system (the Seca 750 master cylinder has small quality-of-life issues, but does not contribute to the difficulty of bleeding the brake system on that model).

I tend to use a vacuum bleeder (for expedience more than to get the air out), but I also employ a vibratory sander to help work any air bubbles out of the calipers, up the brake lines, and out through the return port of the master cylinder. I use that method regardless of what motorcycle I'm working on.

8. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

I use a large syringe similar to the post above, only I got it from the kitchen drawer (turkey baster). Hopefully, my wife will never notice as she no longer bastes turkeys...until she finds out I used it in the garage...then this turkey will be basted...

MattiThundrrr likes this.
  9. tabaka45

Contact the President--he pardons one turkey each year. ;)

10. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

But the President wouldn't have any influence on my wife.

Moderators...I'm not making a political statement....

11. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

12. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

I will: those turkeys deserve to die!

13. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

so i can eat them

14. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

I was referring to politicians!;)

15. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

me too.

16. PJC750

PJC750 Member

I did this last night, 4 hrs later, lever still mushy 81-Xj750seca. Any thoughts?

17. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

What I do to bleed the system.
    1. get a large syringe from a farm store and about a foot of vinyl tubing (you can also use a 2-stroke oil mixing syringe).

2. Cut 6" of tubing and attach that to the end of the syringe. Remove the Syringe plunger. You now have a funnel to fill the master cylinder with.

3. Break loose all four bleed fittings (be sure to put down cat litter or drip pans).

4. Tie the brake lever to the grip.

5. Fill the master cylinder and syringe.

6. Wait overnight (or at least a few hours)

7. You should now see brake fluid coming out. Close the bleeders, and untie the brake lever.

8. Bleed the brakes as normal, starting with the anti-dive bleeders, then the brake caliper bleeders. Remove the funnel.

9. You aren't done yet. There will still be some air in the system. The next step cures that, no matter what method you use to fill and bleed the system.

10. Use a vibratory sander (no sanding pad) and slowly run it along the brake lines, calipers, and distribution block from bottom to top. This will move any remaining air bubbles up into the master cylinder. Tap (or vibrate) the master cylinder to get the air bubbles to come out of the return hole. This process can also be done with a box-end wrench or other similar tool, and tapping the calipers and lines (it just takes longer).

11. Do one final bleed normally, just to be certain that the calipers are fully bled.

12. Use a flashlight to check the fuid level in the master cylinder. It should be below the fill neck. Unfortunately there is no dip-stick or sight glass on this master cylinder, so unless you empty it and measure out the fluid you will need to just eyeball it. If the fluid level is too high the brakes can hydrolock and not release.

18. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

Kmoe, good method, but I always seem to get hung up on step 6....patience is not my virtue. :(