1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Good Running 1982 XJ750J, suddenly Won't start

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Adam Shaffer, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Adam Shaffer

Adam Shaffer Member

This was posted in another thread but moved to a new post per request of "KMoe"

1)I have a 1982 XH759J that just all of a sudden won't start. Plugs have spark ( checked all four). and has fuel in tank.

2) How do I check / correct the firing order?

3) When I have it jumper cable connected to my truck it sounds like starter is clicking and trying to turn over, but only occasionally back fires ( loudly).

Also has new air filter, new turn signals, and new tires. Only change was that it fell over the night before ( cranked and ran after being on it's side though).

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

How long was it down?
    Check the crankcase for gas.

3. Adam Shaffer

Adam Shaffer Member

Down for only a few minutes ( up to 5 minutes according to witness).... Long story, just say I was not happy.

4. Adam Shaffer

Adam Shaffer Member

How do I check Crank case for gas ( other than change oil)? , and it fired right up after being on it's side ( three times, different trips ) then went out in morning and no start.

5. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Open up the oil filler cap and smell. If you smell gas, that's bad. Also, how much oil in the case can tell you, if it's fuller than when you last checked, chances are high that it's gas.

6. k-moe

When you thumb the starter, does the starter spin as strongly as it did before the spill?

Have you checked to make sure the sidestand switch isn't sticky?

7. Adam Shaffer

Adam Shaffer Member

As far as I can tell Starter spins same ( not really. Sure I was not noting it before.

How Do I check side stand switch ( and should it matter , with bike in Nuetrual).

8. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

pull the sidestand safety relay. to test sidestand switch.

starter clicking or solenoid clicking?

gas in oil check oil level bike up on centerstand look into the oil sight glass on clutch cover this will show if your oil level is too high due to gas in oil.

and your question about jump starting bike with car running your not even supposed to jump another car with car running. you could blow out your voltage regulator or battery because of the high amperage of a car alternator

an 1100 has a 35 amp alternator where a car has a 65 amp alternator

9. Geriatrix

Geriatrix New Member

Firstly, don't get too fixated that it is related to the bike having fallen over, but do check the pickup coil on the end of the crank shaft for damage. Also consider the possibility of garbage shifting from the right side of the tank to the fuel tap side and then finding its way to the carbs. If, after cranking it for a minute or so, sniff the exhaust pipe for the smell of fuel. That will tell you fuel is getting through.
    You have done a bit of work on the electricals, might have disturbed a connector. Recheck all the connectors relating to the ignition system, ignitor block, pickup coil from crank shaft end and ignition coil pack. Finally, check some prankster hasn't swapped a pair of plug leads,
    Hope this helps.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
  10. XJ550H

coil pack on left goes to cylinder 1 and 4 . coil pack on right goes to cylinder 2 and 3. go from left to right .

11. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

Then label wires with silver sharpie for easy reference in the future (if the original labels are gone).

12. Vince Cmela

Vince Cmela New Member

Any luck yet? Given the loud back firing lets go with the idea fuel is getting in and you are getting a spark. Might as well pull all the plugs and turn the motor over to confirm you are getting compression in each cylinder and also whether flooded. If any gas mist comes flying out you're flooded bad and should keep turning it over some more to clear as much as possible -wet plugs are a sure sign as well -dry those suckers off. Once dry as possible re-install plugs and plug wires and turn over bike with choke off and see what you get. Full throttle can help clear a flooded bike as well while you are turning it over. If after that you don't get any action then slowly add choke and see how things go.

13. Adam Shaffer

Adam Shaffer Member

Update: Might have bad battery ( according to Father-in-law who sells for Deka Battery , after looking at the battery) .

Also found the smell of gas in the Crank case oil... So what does that mean?

Plan on getting a new battery and maybe new plugs ( just to be sure). Will see if that helps any.

14. k-moe

Gas in the oil means that gas got into the oil when the bike was on its side. You need to change the oil, and oil filter, before you try to start the engine again.
    With enough gas in the crankcase she'll be difficult to start. This is a good thing, because with enough gas in the crankcase you can end up bending a connecting rod (or making a loud KABOOM!!) should the engine manage to start. If you let the engine run with gas-diluted oil, you'll shorly have damaged bearings.

You'll also want to use a length of clear hose to check that the float needles haven't gotten stuck, and are still regulating fuel flow. Put the hose on the float drains, and use it to check the fuel level against the side of the float bowls.

Your battery is probably fine, but should be load-tested anyway.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
  15. Adam Shaffer

Adam Shaffer Member

Battery was tested ( By AutoZone) and said Battery was at 90% ( Salesman said that means it is good) but needed to be charged ( and was at Fire Station).

Took a spark plug to local Yamaha dealer. Worker said plug looked good, but bike was running very Lean. So what would make it run very Lean? I took tank off and made sure fuel filter was cleaned and fuel flowing through it.

Also changed the oil ( and filter) since I thought I smelled fuel in the Crank case ( oil).

Assuming the bike still won't start what is next, also assuming that it is running "Lean" ( it has stock air filter , tank and other fuel parts as far as I can tell).

16. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

@Geriatrix mentioned checking all electrical connections. That is a good thought regardless, clean, die-electric grease and tighten.

A lean condition means you have too much air or not enough fuel. Have the carbs ever been rebuilt? When the bike tipped was it a jarring drop or a slow slip?

k-moe likes this.
  17. XJ550H

lean all plugs look the same?
    where did you set mixture screws to?
    oem air filter or aftermarket?

18. Adam Shaffer

Adam Shaffer Member

All plugs look same ( almost all white). No clue as to mixture screw setting ( where is it?). Fresh OEM in bike.

19. XJ550H

mixture screw is on front top of carbs may be under a little plug
    if you look at the second photo in this thread you will see the mixture screw in the resessed hole to the right of the enrichment plunger .put on your shades before viewing
    OWWW, My Eyes!

20. Adam Shaffer

Adam Shaffer Member

After a quick chat with local Yamaha dealer ( by phone). I checked all four plug wires ( had only checked. two earlier) and found two plug wires had no spark ( plugs we're good, just not getting energy). So believe it to be Ignition Coil (or plug wires) to the #2/#3 cylinders that is bad....
    Now I tried to find new Ignition Coil and seem to be hitting dead ends. Anybody know a good cheap source for said part ( link to suggested site help more then then saying "go here").