1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. DaleP

DaleP New Member

Hi everyone, I'm a brand new to motorcycling, just got my license a few weeks ago and just bought a 1983 Seca 550. Today I changed the oil (previous owner had the spring on the wrong side of the filter) and adjusted the drive chain tension (looks like it's never seen chain lube in its life). I'm sure I'm in for some more surprises in the future but for now I'm having lots of fun riding this lovely machine!

Jetfixer likes this.
  2. Wintersdark

Wintersdark Well-Known Member

First things first! Read this. All of this. It's a lot and bewildering, but read it all: http://www.xjbikes.com/forums/threads/the-information-overload-hour.27544/

Welcome to motorcycles and the forums!

3. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Gave my Seca a "HOT SHOT" seems to help. Been getting hard to start probably time to pull carbs took them to church 2 seasons ago. In case you wonder what a hot shot is ...pull fuel line off petcock , drain float bowls. Fill a syringe with Seafoam or as I used Berryman B12 ...shoot it into fuel line till you fill float bowls let it set for about an hour or more . Reconnect fuel line put to pri and start bike it will smoke slightly . Worth a try still got a few good days left to ride:D

4. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

5. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

was the washer there too? it is needed to keep the spring pushing the gromet into the filter

6. DaleP

DaleP New Member

It was indeed. I almost missed it because it was stuck to the old filter but I was using an exploded view to see how it went together and found it.

7. dowski68

dowski68 Well-Known Member

A little late but worth a little right up-
    Went for a ride Friday afternoon was supposed to go to Southern Oregon College but turned into going through Jackson Ville to Grants Pass and back via hwy.99. Basically 89 miles and fuel consumption for entire tank was 43 mpg round trip all on the back roads. Beautiful afternoon about 75 degrees. Was following a old full size van and usually I would be all about passing them but I thought it would be a nice subliminal brake to keep me under 60 mph. Thoroughly enjoyed it allowed to me see all the new POT farms along the way and a small flock of adult Turkeys. Kind of easy to tell brand new 8 ft. fences with big green bushes poking out the top. No hiding the Cannabis anymore here LOL. How times have changed in the Northwestern United States.

Monday through Wednesday it is supposed to be raining so I think I may just pull the carbs to check them and finally replace the original air box being as I have all the parts now from Chacal. This is also my last week before College starts up again for the Fall Term.
    Ride safe people getting darker earlier and the dumb dumbs are out and about.

Stumplifter and Wintersdark like this.
  8. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Almost harvest time around here, plenty of illegal farms hidden in the bushes. You can literally smell them from a mile away when riding the back roads.

9. Tim O

Tim O Active Member

Was finally able to start riding to work again and even did lunch with a couple other riders in my building... my 750 looks tiny next to the full size living room couch my female co-worker drives...
    upload_2017-9-17_13-36-45.png

dowski68, Wintersdark, Plug and 2 others like this.
  10. Wintersdark

It always surprises me how small the 750's are. Doesn't FEEL small when your on it, but park it beside basically anything >600 CC's and it looks tiny.

Buddy I ride with has a yellow SV650 I've posted a pic of previously in here, and it always gets me just how much larger his 650 is. Wider, longer, taller, it's substantially larger and it's a small sportbike. When compared to a cruiser it looks positively tiny.

Jetfixer likes this.
  11. dowski68

dowski68 Well-Known Member

Looked at my bike lovingly as I walked by to ride a friend of mine KLR 650 to work. He keeps bugging me to do it so finally I did.
    Seems to be missing some cylinders more like you give it throttle and it responds by saying hey just a sec LOL
    Other then that as only the 3rd other bike I have ridden it was okay just meant for something other then I am used to I guess. Every bike has a purpose I suppose.

12. Wintersdark

The KLR's real value is as a dual purpose bike. Slap on some on/off road tires, take it out on dirt roads, and it's awesome. I don't think any measure of off road tires is going to help our XJ's on dirt.

It's always nice to see how well our old XJ's compare to a lot of modern bikes :)

Stumplifter likes this.
  13. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

The KLR's real value is as a multi-purpose bike.
    Tight twisty back roads, no problem. Add in some potholes and broken pavement, leave the sport bikes behind.
    Touring, most comfortable bike I've ever had.
    Commuting? add a top box and you're all set.
    Top speed license shredder? Not so much, however this is a bonus ;)
    Scrape something up? Who cares, it's a KLR:p

Stumplifter and Wintersdark like this.
  14. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

Rain today.

Yesterday I "fixed" my two rear turn signal mounts. As happens, the rubber portion was cracked years ago, and they were "cockeyed." Periodic applications of black tape were temporary and obvious.

I used a small bit of wire pressed in the proper side of the "crack" as shims to straighten them, then used superglue to fix the shim in place, followed by black RTV to fill the crack and smooth out the groove. Looked pretty good in the end.

Someday I know I should just replace them....

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
    Plug, Stumplifter and Dadoseven like this.
  15. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

Crafty! Or Hacky?! ;)

Would love to see pics, sounds like a creative solution for what a lot of us probably have.

Wintersdark likes this.
  16. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

5915.jpeg
    5929.jpeg

17. Stumplifter

^^^. That is way too shiny.

Looks great!

So Seca's have extra rubber boot that extends out? My Maxim doesn't look like that.

18. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

This is the original on a xj550 Maxim (one owner). They are rubber so in theory they flex when hit. Mine cracked and sagged in their old age.

Wintersdark likes this.
  19. Stumplifter

Monday's! :mad:

I saw the 550 in your signature and ass-u-med it was a Seca's... going to bed early tonight

20. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Hehehe...

cgutz likes this.