1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

A tiny little idea that seems fun: Side reflectors -> LED running lights

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Wintersdark, Jun 2, 2017.

1. Wintersdark

Wintersdark Well-Known Member

While stripping down my Seca's frame getting ready to paint it, I came to the reflectors up on the neck. I didn't have these on my Maxim - they'd been removed by a previous owner to use as mounting points for a pair of horns. I kind of like them, however, and figured I'd keep them.

Taking them off, though, I realised it'd be very easy to remove the white reflective backing(*), and cut a hole in the black plastic housing underneath, then mount some LED strip lights in there. Reassemble, keeping the amber lenses, and Bob's your uncle. Maybe wire em up to the signals, and have them flash as well when the signals are on. The amber reflector lenses should do a decent job of breaking up the light from the individual led's, and a simple pot drilled into one of the two housings will allow me to adjust brightness.

(*) In retrospect, I'm going to see about mounting the LED's under the white reflective backing - it seems pretty transparent, so with some LED strip lights behind it, they may serve to help diffuse and cut down the brightness of the LED's as well. I'll try that first.

Should they flash with the signals, or simply be wired to, say, the tail light as to always be on? Is this a terrible idea? Thoughts?

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

There are commertially available reflectors that already have LED lighting integrated. Most aren't very expensive either.

How they should function would be a matter for you to look up through your applicable regulatory agency. In the U.S. there are regulations about the size, color, and placement of flashing side markers, but somewhat less stringent regulations for running lights and reflectors.

3. Wintersdark

Oh, for sure. This just allows me to use the stock reflectors, and I've already got everything else anyways.

I just thought it'd be an interesting way to keep using the stock kit, as they're moulded to "fit" with the bike.

While regulations may(well, almost certainly) exist here, that sort of thing is never enforced. Much like the LED headlight on my Maxim which is certainly not certified by anything, and the interim custom tail light(red LED strip) as I wait to get the desired tail light (which is also "for off-road use only")

k-moe likes this.
  4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Projects are more fun than buying pre-made things anyway :)

hogfiddles and Wintersdark like this.
  5. Ribo

Ribo Prefectionist

Austin Texas USA ( a long way from the UK )
    I'm thinking of doing this -- if I get it going I'll post some pics...

Wintersdark likes this.
  6. jsngrimm

jsngrimm Member

Interesting idea, sounds like it would be pretty easy to just put some LEDs or something behind the reflector. I have done a similar thing with bicycle reflectors with good results

Wintersdark likes this.
  7. Hotcakesman

Hotcakesman Active Member

Wintersdark likes this.
  8. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

Maybe not enforced, until you have an accident or an issue, then:
    - you get cited for illegal lighting
    -you get sued for same
    -insurance doesn't pay for same

However, if legal, I do like your idea.

9. Hotcakesman

Hotcakesman Active Member

I believe it is only a true issue with law enforcement if it is red and blue flashing
    I think a solid color is ok
    I work for a PD and I have shown everyone my lights and no one has issues

10. Wintersdark

I've never seen nor heard of anyone having any kind of issue with moderate lighting - so long as colors are correctish - but despite lots of acquaintances over the years with really stupid ricer lighting, nobody ever had the slightest issue with insurance or such.

But, things are quite likely different here, and your milage may vary.

But stock looking amber side lights? Yeah, that won't be a problem here.

11. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

Probably correct, and would look nice.

I'm in South Dakota, where you can tint auto glass. I live on the Iowa border. In Iowa tinted glass is illegal.

South Dakota people with tinted glass get stopped regularly in Iowa and get a lecture, but no ticket, since the car is tagged in SD. They still stop them to make a point however.

South Dakota is the least regulated state in the USA.

12. Wintersdark

Its kind of interesting, as we always assume everything is way less regulated south of the border, but clearly this is one area where it's different. It's not unusual here to see cars with ground lighting, full-blown tinted windows including the front side windows, blue headlights, etc.

I believe Ontario is somewhat stricter, but otherwise? I've never heard of anyone being ticketed for car mods of any sort, and even the really ridiculous custom bikes seem to be ok.

13. amfmtxca

amfmtxca Member

I like lots of lights for accent. what I do know is facing forward and running down the sides (trucks) have to be amber, facing back red the exception is turn signals can be amber so long as when not in use no light admits rear turn signal that are red can be a turn signal and a marker light. Blue and red flashing lights not allowed those are for law enforcement, police or sherriff. Red flashing lights are ambulance. I learned this information because I drive a truck and they will write tickets for this stuff., and another thing they will write tickets for is if you have lights on your, (truck for me) they have to work, burnt out lights can get you a ticket I also like the lights underneath any and all vechicles, they look like they are riding on a cloud.

14. Wintersdark

While it's not for me, EL Wire lighting is super cheap and (for its fans) very cool looking. My buddy at work just did his sv650 up with yellow EL wire traced around his fairings for roughly $30.

Not his bike, but like this:

[​IMG]

Adafruit.com sells 12v kits, wire in various colors and panels too. The wire is very flexible, and it and the panels can be freely cut. Cool stuff.

15. Ribo

Ribo Prefectionist

Austin Texas USA ( a long way from the UK )
    automan.jpg

yeah that's about as cool as Automan was... :D

16. Wintersdark

Yeah, it's not for me, but my coworker loves it. *Shrugs*

Technically, it's pretty cool - EL wire is really fun to play with, cheap, and it looks awesome. As a motorcycle look... Well, I suppose it's up there with the "ricer" import getup. Certainly doesn't do anything for me.

But it IS a pretty 80's look - all about the excess/overstatement, and I suppose that's "coming back" for people too young to have lived the horror.

17. amfmtxca

amfmtxca Member

It looks like neon lights

18. Wintersdark

Yeah they do look like neon lights but they're completely flexible and cuttable. Very easy to use.