1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Here's an idea for cold weather gloves: try out a pair of snowmobile gloves. Super warm, and you keep enough dexterity to manipulate the controls.

2. dowski68

dowski68 Well-Known Member

That's a great idea, I do have a heavier pair of gloves which I am going to try out this morning as it is still 34 degrees and it is not looking like it is going to get much warmer today. the roads that I get to travel to work on are heavily traveled I do not have to worry about ice being on them. Hopefully, things will be just fine on my 18-mile journey. :)

3. Wintersdark

Wintersdark Well-Known Member

I use my normal pair of riding gloves with an extra large pair of knit mittens on top... It's ridiculous, but keeps my hands warm down below freezing.

4. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

Somewhat warm today and putting up Christmas lights. XJ was tempting me but didn't wake it up from hibernation.

Attached Files:

5. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Put one up for the winter...... Or at least until we have a warm day to ride

dowski68 likes this.
  6. dowski68

Filled my bike up yesterday with the nonethanol. Placed blankets and a battery tender on her. Looks like it is going to be in 30's for a week or two. :( In regards to putting her up for the Winter I never really do. I just bundle her up real good like previously mentioned and every time the temps rises close to 40 I ride her for at least half a tank refill with the race fuel and wait for the next break in the weather. I guess that is my idea of putting her up. I just don't feel right with not riding.
    I have all ways been told that the worst thing you can do to any machine is not to use them. Maybe a false tale yet it keeps riding lol.
    Ride Safe my friends :)

7. Wintersdark

Wintersdark Well-Known Member

Hit 6 degrees today, so braved the new snow for a ride, fill with ethanol-free juice. Like @dowski68 above, just can't bear not riding ;)

Starter clutch is definitely failing, though; took a couple tries to get it to engage. God, I'm not looking forward to that. Not the actual work (that's not a big deal, really) but the struggles pulling the motor, dragging it around the house and into the basement to work on it. Really, really wish I had a garage where I could just pull it and work on it right there. May build a cover of sorts, and do it outside, but the cold :(

dowski68 likes this.
  8. joe elliff

joe elliff Active Member

I took a picture. That’s about all I did today

Attached Files:

wgul, Tim O, Pizzaman and 2 others like this.
  9. Plug

Plug Active Member

Finally got back out of the 30s and 40s today......got to do about 50 miles....granted most of it was riding the slant, wind was brutal

10. Pizzaman

Pizzaman Member

Newbie here.
    Got new shoes and pads on my bike. Had to pull the caliber piston and clean it up so caliber wasn't sticky. Reading up on how to full rebuild it as I imagine it will be leaking soon without new seals. No sign of rear shoes coming apart but both needed changing.

Stumplifter likes this.
  11. dowski68

Welcome to this fabulous site.
    There is an amazing amount of information and hilarious antics from most of the individuals who reside here.
    Very nice to see that you are taking the time to do the initial NEW TO ME Maintenance. Brakes calipers if needed and so forth.
    If you look around their is a forum called the information overload hour- Highly recommend this for researching any work you plan on doing.

Stumplifter likes this.
  12. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Nope. You also posted a picture. Busy day!

13. Tim O

Tim O Active Member

Changed half my pipe gaskets yesterday top and bottom but stopped there so it wouldn't be apart when it was supposed to hit 60 deg. today. Man the originals were a little bitchy to get out of the collector.

Note for anyone using the aftermarket gaskets: they look pretty solid but if you flex them at all they start to delaminate. Had one start to but think I caught it in time....

Hoping to hear a quieter bike on one side when I get out today.

14. LarryMc

LarryMc Active Member

I had an issue with my shift shaft spring snapping on me, replaced all three springs associated with the mechanism, an easy fix. While waiting for my new springs to arrive, I did a small modification to the shift star detent pawl.
    This is a modification that is regularly used on the Yamaha 650 Banshee to fix missed shifts and provides effortless operation.
    I'm surprised at what a difference this has made on smoothing out the shifting characteristics of my XJ550 Seca. Its
    nothing to get overly excited about, its just a noticeable change or improvement.
    The bearing I used is 2mm smaller than the stock sized detent roller (washer). It is off a R6 shifter that is one of my parts bikes. It fits perfectly into the shift star valleys and is attached with grade 8 hardware. The nut that secures everything was permanently tack welded
    It happy with the way it shifts now...[​IMG]
    Factory set up
    [​IMG]
    Modified set up

15. Pizzaman

Pizzaman Member

I'm definitely glad I found this site. I've been doing lots of reading on what I need to do to bring my bike back for safe riding. SS lines and rebuilding calipers and master cylinder is next. I got lucky and for $500 got a pretty solid bike. New gas, oil and filters and she runs great. Carbs were done a few years ago and seem fine. Once she is safe I'll check the valves and probably do the fuse box.

Stumplifter likes this.
  16. Tim O

Tim O Active Member

Was definitely better... look forward to getting the other side done. Also confirmed my thoughts she was running a little rich. with the cold weather today she practically LEPT up the mountains...

IMG_20171121_121415340.jpg

Attached Files:

17. dkavanagh

dkavanagh Well-Known Member Premium Member

Hit low 50's today. Decided to take the seca out. My first reaction once on the road was "Hell Yeah!". (2nd was, that exhaust is very loud!)
    Seriously, can't wait for spring now!

18. dowski68

Well on a side note had a root canal done Monday :(. Suffered through the previous weekend till I could to dentist 1000.00 bucks later face still swollen.

On a better note though to day was no rain since last night so I got up around 9 AM and took off riding. Kinda rough putting helmet on though but I managed :)
    Since I replaced the front tire last week I needed to get the oil shine or whatever it is off the front tire actually I think it is a releasing agent from the tire form.

Thought I would try doing this- I placed my school backpack in the middle of an empty parking lot and proceeded to ride around in a circle just looking at the the backpack. This is get used to looking were I am going and trusting that I will get there. Right hand circles and left hand circles also varying the size of the circle. I did this for about half an hour then hit the back roads so far 65 miles still got some day light left so I'll be adding some more miles. :)

Rain next four days and hopefully a break in the weather.

I actually highly recommend the before mentioned practice tip :D
    Ride Safe

Stumplifter likes this.
  19. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

^^^ always wise to keep your low speed handling skills well honed.

20. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

My plan is to never ride slowly!

Wintersdark likes this.