1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ550 swing arm mods

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Newb21, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Newb21

Newb21 Member

Hi guys.

Been a while, bud stalled massively due to some personal issues, but I'm going back to it soon. The last thing I did was to put 1991 pre diversion xj6 front end into it. Not realising the calipers wouldn't fit the original wheel & brake disks wouldn't fit. So I'm changing it to the ugly looking xj6 wheel & disks.

I'm wondering if anyone knows if the swing arm from the xj6 will drop into my 550 frame so I can have matching wheels.

Thanks
    Ian

2. LarryMc

LarryMc Active Member

It's not a bolt in application, the pivot is slightly wider. It can be narrowed down to the correct size via cutting the excess off as it protrudes about 3/4" on each side of where it's welded. Also the pivot bolt on the XJ6 is larger. Using the original pivot bolt simply order the correct needle bearings to fit the factory bolt (ID) and the donor swingarm (OD). Adjust the factory bearing spacer that goes in between the bearings you choose and your good. Also note that the width of the swingarm does not coincide with the suspension mounts of the XJ550 if your going with dual shocks. It's wider quite a bit. If your go monoshock, then it's not an issue.
    A buddy did this swap on his XJ550 and he had to narrow down the swingarm to adapt for dual shocks. The first picture is before modifications. The second one is after we made relief cuts to narrow down the width. Shock mounts had not been installed yet.

Attached Files:

3. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

That looks like a post-91 Diversion/Seca-II swinger to me. And a lot of work by the looks of things. OP is asking about this type I think..

[​IMG]

4. Newb21

Newb21 Member

Yeah that does sound like a lot of work. I am talking about a pre-diversion swing arm, but having seen what's potentially required, I think I'll just stick with the original wheel & put up with the different front wheel.

5. a100man

You could always buy a cheap pre 91 swinger and try it for fit. The mono-shock might be more troible that welding dual shock brackets on though.

6. Newb21

Newb21 Member

I'd completely forgot that the later model was a monoshock! That idea's out.
    Guess I need to look for new for legs then. Unless the stanchion from the per divvy will fit the legs from the 550. Might look into that!

7. LarryMc

LarryMc Active Member

A bleedin' 51J model?
    Nevermind...

8. LarryMc

LarryMc Active Member

Isn't this the modifications forum? Modifications take "work".
    Bolting shit on is okay if your a p****.

Josiah Hein likes this.
  9. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Wow, Larry. You're gonna make a lot of friends with that honey.

10. Thrasher

Thrasher Member

shocks.jpg Radian swinger bolts right on.

11. Newb21

Newb21 Member

Larry, I'm not afraid of doing any kind of work to it. I'm completely restoring the bike! Did it even occur to you that I may not even want a mono shock?

No. Thought not.

12. Newb21

Newb21 Member

Thrasher, that's an option & looks good. Cheers dude.

13. LarryMc

LarryMc Active Member

I got you, dude.
    Don't mind the post I made while under the influence.
    Good luck with your restoration and post some pictures of your progress.

Newb21 likes this.
  14. Newb21

Newb21 Member

Ha cheers fella. Yeah its going slow. I'm a few years in. Had to stop for a while & I'm in the process of building a new wiring harness, which is proving difficult since electrics is like voodoo to me but I'm learning as I go & so far everything I've done (with a bit of trial & error here & there) seems to be working.

I'll be cracking on after xmas, so hopefully finished soon & pics of the start to finish build will go up :)

15. a100man

Yes but OP will still have the wheel mis-match issue.. IMO your time would be better spent on fabricating some spacers and caliper adapters to fit the 550 wheel
    to the 600 front end.

BTW what was wrong with the original stanchions?

16. Newb21

Newb21 Member

I thought about making up brackets for the calipers not sure if my fabricating skills are good enough for something that important. Also, can the lower fork brace be used with spacers? The wheel is bigger than the pre-divvy wheel so the tyre rubs the brace.

Original stanchions where pitted to hell all over.

17. a100man

Hi
    Stanchions are reasonably plentiful second hand on ebay. Failing that they can be fixed by Philpots in Luton... http://www.pittedforks.co.uk/

18. Duncan Poole

Duncan Poole New Member

Hi I’m just starting a swing arm mod myself I’ve a zxr 250 swing arm wheel and calliper it’s 10 mm wider at the pivot and sprocket carrier is 5 mm wider I’ve got to weld some shock mounts on the swing arm I would of bought a radian but they are to expensive i bought the lot for £80 will be changing the front as well good project keep up the good work

19. Newb21

Newb21 Member

Good luck with the mod Duncan. I've just been speaking to a guy I go to university with (very mature student Lol) before starting uni he was a precision engineer in a machine shop so he said he'd have a look to see if he can make up the brackets for the calipers so I can keep the sexy original wheel!

20. a100man

Hi Duncan sounds good - let's see it when it's done !