1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ550 USD fork swap

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by LarryMc, Jan 22, 2018.

1. LarryMc

LarryMc Active Member

2018-01-21 18.16.26.jpg 2018-01-21 18.15.56.jpg 2018-01-21 18.15.19.jpg 2018-01-21 18.14.54.jpg

Cooter and Franz like this.
  2. Thrasher

Thrasher Member

I wonder how much weight that adds?

3. LarryMc

LarryMc Active Member

The triples are aluminum instead of cast steel. When servicing the fork tubes they didn't seem any heavier than the stock units. The front does look heavier or kind of chunky.( Like my GF) But it works for me.(GF again)
    Weight really wasn't a concern that was factored in, I was after a better ride. The forks that came on the bike gave harsh feed back that transfered right through the rider. I also tried a lesser weight fork oil to remedy the ride quality. Didn't help like I wanted it to.
    With the way the suspension is now, the front and the back offer a comparable range of adjustability. The old set up had only air adjustable forks off a much heavier bike than the XJ550. The technology wasn't quite there to match what the rear shocks offered in ride quality.
    I've never owned a bike this old before and love the way this little bike screams when you get into it. I wanted the ride to compliment the way it runs.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  4. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Nice, want to do that to my Fj1200 but just don't want to pull the trigger on the loner bike it will need to come from. I also understand how it feels to bring a little newer tech to the older bikes. Some will not like it but others (like me) like a little bit of both worlds. I would guess your roads are a lot like the ones here in Wisconsin, we get bad winters and the front really hammers the roads. So any help with the suspension really helps.

5. LarryMc

LarryMc Active Member

I've seen,in person, aFJ1200 with the USD fork swap and they fit the bike design perfectly. He used a Gixxer front end and kept the factory wheels. The front fender fit nicely.
    The roads in my area do beat the crap out of you and the bike. Nothing worse than feeling run over after a ride. This was my main motivation for the fork swap.
    As far as others opinion of what I've done? I'm so over that. If I can help someone out with something like this swap is why I post here. The forum has helped me out numerous times so it's my way of giving back.
    Hopefully, I can find a few hours to work out a couple small bugs this weekend and actually test ride and adjust everything to my liking.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    Cooter and Timbox like this.
  6. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

one of the reasons they may look 'odd' is because the 'slider' bit is now up top. The actual stanchion isn't that chunky..

7. LarryMc

LarryMc Active Member

I was able to take the bike out for my it's maiden ride this past weekend. Once the suspension was adjusted correctly, the difference in ride quality surprised me and surpassed my expectations. It's a different bike now, very well behaved and a pleasure to ride.
    I endorse this swap to anyone looking for improved ride characteristics. If you take on a swap with the front end, the rear shocks need match the front ends range of adjustability. Otherwise its pretty a waste of time unless your doing it for looks. This isn't a weekend project, expect some challenges and hurdles.
    Athetically, for me, it's quite a change from what it was but it's beginning to grow on me.
    What would I do differently? Nothing, I took my time with this, bought the right stuff, and cut no corners.

Core and MattiThundrrr like this.
  8. Core

Core Active Member

I wanna do this to me XJ900RL, but there is some questions about the MFK in Switzerland (Motorfahrzeugkontrolle) which is the roadworthiness test here.
    I have been warned against being too cavelier about this modification, and since it is quite an undertaking, I want to confirm the MFK will give it a nod in the end.
    Ironically, if they are uncooperative on this, it could be preventing me from upgrading the bike to make it more roadworthy.

I like the way the bike looks with the mod. Bravo

9. LarryMc

LarryMc Active Member

Thank you.
    The bikes roadworthy characteristics, as far as handling and safety, are improved dramatically. Both the front brake and front suspension systems take advantage of technology that is 25 years newer.
    If your able to get the MFK approval you would be very happy with this upgrade.
    Good luck.

Core likes this.
  10. Core

Core Active Member

Without the experience of it, I know this is true. Thanks for confirming it in any case.
    The only question mark hanging (apart from the MFK) is the actual fitting to the head tube of the frame.
    Have not looked into it at all but matching up the internal diameter and length of the head tube on the old frame to that of the bearing housing of the new forks is important. Are there any standard sizes here from your experience, how did this go with your conversion?

11. LarryMc

LarryMc Active Member

I did a ton of research and found that the steering stem off my donor triple tree was plug and play. No stem swap required. I replaced the old bearings with All Balls tapered bearings and it fit together without a problem.
    I'm sure your XJ900 has a beefer steering stem than mine. Everything depends on your choice of donor components. Your options are endless just make sure your off set of the triple tree will allow full turning radius. There are tons of bikes with nice fork swaps that lost turning function because of poor planning.
    Find a set up with a comparable offset for turning radius functions, a workable fork length depending on your needs and just do a stem swap with your existing stem and install new bearings. Most importantly, make sure everything is 100% safe and that your confident about doing the swap.
    Easier said than done? Yes, there will be a few hiccups with the swap.
    Just gather as much info on the parts you want to swap and plan on it taking twice as long as you may estimate.
    For months, I read every fork swap guide and forum thread I could find, regardless of the motorcycle brand, just to see what I was getting into. I wanted everything to be functional and safe, no jankiness.
    You won't regret upgrading your front end and the swap honestly isn't that difficult if you have a plan.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
    Core likes this.
  12. LarryMc

LarryMc Active Member

Trail-05.jpg
    The offset I'm referring to is above. Our bikes depend on a triple tree offset like the top one to maintain the turning radius that is similar to the stock geometry. It doesn't have to be exact just in the general ball park.
    The one below is what is found on most modern sports bikes. It will work but the steering geometry angles are changed significantly and gas tank interference with handlebar switchgear is a common issue if clip ons are used.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
    Core likes this.
  13. Core

Core Active Member

Wow, @LarryMc , thanks for sharing your tips. Great post.
    I see the issue with the "offset" I imagine that this offset is making sports bikes more twitchy.
    First stage for me is the legal issue with the inspection. I have to take my bike down to get checked out end of this month and have a list of questions to hit them up with.
    Hope to get some clear guidance after this.

I will be sure to record my experience here on the forum for you and everyone else after me to enjoy (maybe in a schadenfreudlich way). ;)

thanks again

14. sybe

sybe Active Member

I am currently researching the possibility of doing the 2015 r6 fork swap on an 82 xj650 maxim. The 2008 - 2015 are essentially the same forks and are the longest produced for the r6. The 2008-2015 r6 also has a 25mm offset. Can you share what offset your new triples have? I am concerned how the forks will change the geometry. On another forum a guy that did the swap on a xv750 virago says the handling improved and is more responsive, but when he has his gf on the back it turns like a palette truck. Have you noticed the same situations?

15. LarryMc

LarryMc Active Member

The offset is a hair under 1 3/4 inches or 44.5mm on my set up. The XJ550 Seca stock offset is about 2 1/8" or 53.9mm so they are within the neighborhood of each other. Is there a magic number for being "in the hood" or not? I honestly don't know. Just stay close in my opinion.
    Cornering and handling has definitely improved. On poor road surfaces or crossing expansion joints the bike just sucks up the nastiness and very little is transferred to the rider.
    Your geometry is going to change, no matter what, it's a given. But, the new forks are tunable to compensate for slight geometry changes and different riders and conditions. To keep the geometry close or similar is important based on keeping the offset close or similar. When the offset is way off adverse handling will be an issue that can't be tuned away no matter what. The words twitchy and sketchy are good descriptions of whacked up offsets.
    The only difficulty I had was having to relearn how to ride the bike and actually enjoy it. It's very different at first and strange feeling. That goes away quickly after a few rides and you'll find yourself pushing the bike to do things you would have never considered before. Before the swap, it rode like an eighties bike usually rides; good but not great, but always enjoyable no matter what cause your riding.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
  16. Core

Core Active Member

Thanks for sharing all your experiences. I am envious of you.
    Envious because I have completed my research into the MFK roadworthiness inspections here with regards to mods such as this. And the result is a deal breaker for my project.

Just in summary, they have no problem with mods, but before the bike can be passed, the MFK requires an engineers certification.
    These inspections are thorough and cost between 2000-3000 USD each time!
    (i.e. engineer does not issue the certificate for whatever reason, back to the ole drawing board and eventually cross your fingers while coughing up another couple o grand!!)

This must be done whenever ANY part of the bike that has an influence on handling is changed, and their definition of this is very tight!
    Change out the rear shocks, exhaust, brakes or wheels to any aftermarket brand and you trigger this inspection!
    Manufacturers know this and proactively certify their aftermarket parts individually for each model they want to target.

For an old bike like mine, there is virtually no parts that are certified any more.
    This relegates my project to a strict restoration deal with no chance for any upgrades. I am DEVASTATED

I got this news about 2 months ago. I have sadly come to the realisation that while I live in Switzerland, I will no be able to mod this bike as I planned.
    This has thrown the whole project into the air and I have now decided to sell both my XJs
    I had bought them to mod them and if I cannot (affordably) mod them then this project is dead.

I am tearing up again :(

17. LarryMc

LarryMc Active Member

Wow. That's totally F'd up. Sorry to hear that your countries beaurocratic BS put the kibosh on your project.
    That means only one thing can fix this:
    Drown your sorrows by taking out a rediculously high interest loan and go buy a brand new bike that needs no modifications. Us Americans males find this practice very redeeming when dealing with mid life crisis's or divorce situations. I speak from experience.
    The MFK would have a hay day with my bike and all the changes made. The engineers cost to inspect alone is a real game changer. Are they just as strict when modifying automobiles also?

18. LarryMc

LarryMc Active Member

Thinking about it further, I guess with the Autobahn having unlimited speed limits the engineers approval does circumvent shoddy workmanship and half assed modifications. Everyday when I commute I see vehicles that are not roadworthy and dangerous screaming down the freeway with wobbling tires and broken windshields. Then there's the log hauling trucks, scarey.
    All the more reason to fill out that loan application and let loose with no speed issues.
    You have my blessing and approval to move ahead with this endeavor. Think of it as therapy.....

19. Core

Core Active Member

Aww Larry, Its not so bad, but it did take a few days for the weight of this realisation to fully settle on me. I was not a happy camper on those days.
    I did almost what you suggest. The new bike is a 2017 Honda Africa twin.
    I also have a dream to go enduro touring and this bike was on my radar.
    The old girl (my XJ) is feeling a little rejected and unsure about her future. I hope I can find someone with some passion for her as a new owner.

re your last question: Yes. Modding cars and bikes is done in Switzerland, but this is done by professional shops that know what they are doing and only go through the engineering certification one time. They probably have engineers working in the shops to make sure things are going to go green when they get the papers. So modding is still done, but the fun of modding is gone. (unless you do not ride/drive your creation on the road, but whats the fun in that!)

20. Core

Core Active Member

Switzerland has speed limits. Germany (right next door) has some motorways with no limits. In fact Switzerland has the world record for the most expensive speeding fine ever https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/driver-faces--1-000-000-speeding-fine/23091098
    There are no rattling bombs running down the motorways here.
    Safety vs freedom - it is not always a good tradeoff, but in some cases it makes sense