1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ650 rear tire offset?

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by RJKC, Feb 19, 2018.

1. RJKC

RJKC New Member

Hello all.
    I have been back and forth to this forum trying to glean enough information to help me make a decision regarding an '82 XJ650 Maxim I inherited. I have visions of a cafe style bike that I could have a little fun with however I have a tendency of procrastinating and ultimately not doing anything to further the goal.
    This bike has been no different as it has sat in my garage for two years since I first got it. Bike runs but has low compression. Intake valve shims are out of spec and was getting ready to remove and order new ones when I thought I'd have a look at the rear end and start devising a plan for minimizing the fender/seat etc. That's when I noticed that the rear tire doesn't appear to be centred in the frame? At first I thought that maybe the frame was bent as the bike does have a fair bit of road rash on both sides. The left rear rail does appear to bend inward when looking at it from the rear however that is opposite to the offset of the wheel?
    I then decided to laser from the front neck through the centre of the tank mount bolt hole (I believe that it's centred in the bike?) and it appears as though the rear wheel is offset about 1/4" to the right?
    Does anyone have an idea as to what may be causing this? From what I've been able to gather on this forum ther is no left/right adjustment on the wheel or swingarm correct?
    I'm really at a loss on this and would greatly appreciate any thoughts/theories.
    Tire is stock size and swing arm appears to be centred in the frame.
    Thanks in advance,
    Rick.

2. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

lookup a parts diagram of the back wheel, see if all the spacers/washers are there.
    if the left side looks bent in the right side should look bent out
    how much clearance its there on the left side of the tire and what size is it
    i doubt the swingarm would only bend one way, it would twist

3. RJKC

RJKC New Member

Thanks for the reply Polock. I assume that you mean spacers in the swingarm pivot correct? The wheel itself can't move left in the swingarm as it would rub the inside of the shaft housing. There is only about 1/4" between the housing and tire right now. Rear tire is 130/90-16.
    Thanks,
    Rick.

4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

There are spacers in the final drive that center the wheel.

5. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

maybe the axle pinch bolt on right side was tightened before the axle was torqued

k-moe likes this.
  6. RJKC

RJKC New Member

Ok, so here is what I've found. Is this spacer correct? It sticks out proud of the housing by 1/4" and seems pretty loose in there? I see a spacer on diagram in Haynes manual (#8) but confess that I get a bit confused when looking at those diagrams. Look ok to you guys?

Attached Files:

7. XJ550H

there is a washer on right side of axle which contacts brake plate then there is a 2-1/2 inch spacer between the bearings another 3 inch spacer someplace and
    the spacer you show and a washer on the castle nut side pf the axle .washers are spacers

8. XJ550H

9. RJKC

RJKC New Member

All accounted for except the 3" spacer? The one in the pic is 2 3/4" long. So basically I have from right side-
    Washer, hub assembly, 2 3/4 spacer shown in pic, washer and nut. Looks like it's all there then hey? Hmm, not sure what to think?
    Here is also a pic of the bent frame.

Attached Files:

10. RJKC

RJKC New Member

Thanks XJ550h. Those diagrams are the same ones I have in my manual, the numbers are just different. Looks like that piece in my pic is #42 in first diagram? It's a "collar". I wish they would put a measurement on it. Still though, nothing out of the ordinary from what I can see. Frustrating.

11. XJ550H

12. RJKC

RJKC New Member

Thanks again XJ550H. This bike has become more frustrating than I had intended. Me thinks it's time to find her a new home lol.
    Keep up the good work fellas. This site is truly a wealth of information.
    Take care,
    Rick.