1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Howdy

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Christopher McTavish, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Christopher McTavish

Christopher McTavish Member

Hi, just joined after buying two basket case xj’s one 1981 XJ550 and one 1982 XJ1100. Going to be looking up lots of stuff. Lol Anyways hope to be able to learn and contribute.
    Thanks

2. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

Hello Christopher,
    Welcome to the camp, you have found THE place for XJ info.
    Read this for starters:
    http://www.xjbikes.com/forums/threads/the-information-overload-hour.27544/

You want parts? You want the right parts every time? You want them quick?
    XJ4EVER in the upper right hand corner. Known and trusted by many.

Ask questions, there are many wise riders/ wizards here that are well versed on electrical and mechanical issues with these bikes.

3. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard, this is a great forum and has wonderful people to help you/us out. What is your background for riding and wrenching? When you get enough posts pls give us some pics.

4. Christopher McTavish

I rode dirt bikes in my late teens and teens and into my twenties. Never did streetbikes due to a promise I made my mom after her brother died on one. She has now left us as well and now in my forties I decided to do something for me. I’m a metal fabricator of twenty+ years and now for a Caterpillar dealership. Done some mechanical work so have basic knowledge of engine systems. I’m a father of three young men and two of them will be helping me put these basket cases back together. Looking forward to the projects and chat.

Plug and Timbox like this.
  5. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Welcome , read ,read, and did I mention read a lot of the posts on this site. Realize most parts bought on eBay might or might not be complete , parts ordered from xj4ever will be the correct and complete parts . Yes his catalog takes some sorting out , but start an IM message he is real quick to respond and shipping is fast as well . His prices might seem higher than eBay but you are taking a 50/50 chance and might end up costing more in the end. When you go to xj4evers site read the overload hour it is worth the time. You state you rode dirt bikes , but recommend you go enroll in an ABATE motorcycle class , invest in a DOT/SNELL 90 Helmet ....my preaching been riding since I was 14 had my 1st spill 7 years ago slow speed , had my HELMET and gloves and coat on , only reason Dr said I'm pecking this is because I had a HELMET on ...a large chunk was missing in the temple area ...Ok that is enough for my soap box . Good luck and keep us informed.

6. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Christopher M,
    Thanks for the info, always helps those who might be helping you some day and in turn, I know I have a metal fabricator I can reach out and chat with ;) I can understand and respect your promise you made. As for riding on the roads and knowing your bike, I have to concur with Jetfixer and many others that will chime in. If you can find a rider safety class pls take a basic rider class. Then if you like that one, take the advanced and even the sport. This is the Org that I have gone to for yrs, and as a ex military guy, we had to take the basic or advanced class every three yrs to be able to ride. I always learned something at each class. http://msf-usa.org/

Looking forward to following along with your rebuild.

7. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

maxim or seca XJ550

8. Christopher McTavish

To get your endorsement on your lic. here in Washington you have to take a 3 day class / riding course and pass it to get endorsement. It was fun and can see myself doing more once I have my bike running. Have a good helmet already and gloves. Rode BMX for a few years and learned safety equipment is worth it’s weight in gold. Saved my head from many concussions and gloves and pants/jersey from lots of skin loss. So I’m totally with all you on the safety band wagon.

Timbox and Jetfixer like this.
  9. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

ATGATT: all the gear all the time!

XJ550H likes this.
  10. Christopher McTavish

Both of them are maxims

11. Christopher McTavish

The bikes two pics of the 1100 one of the 550.
    Check out the exhaust fix on the 550. Bailing wire and a soup can. No joke. Both sides. I had a good laugh over that one. :p:Do_O

Attached Files:

12. kosel

kosel Active Member Premium Member

Here in Minnesota, I take an early MSF course to dust off the cobwebs each spring.

Stumplifter and Timbox like this.
  13. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

It can work.... my F150's exhaust is done up similarly.
    Upgraded from steel cans to 4" wide stainless steel shim stock (I think .010" - it'll last long than the truck). Used hose clamps and then old bass guitar strings for 'hangers'.

Christopher McTavish likes this.