1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

How did you get here?

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by SnoSheriff, Jun 1, 2006.

1. 1965soda

1965soda Member

Good evening XJ lovers.

Not sure if this is the correct place to post an intro and ask a question....so mods, please move as needed (and get me on track). :)

I will do my best to keep the history short....but I had a nearly new Xj900 back in the 80's. Sold it for something faster and always regretted letting it go (have had quite a few bikes over the years that fall into that category). Other previous XJ experience included a 82 750 Seca and 650 Turbo projects that I repaired and sold (to once again fund newer machines). At one point I decided I wanted to build a small collection of 900cc bikes and started with a 86 900 Ninja project, then added a M900 project, and most recently bought a 83XJ900 project. Super low miles and in overall solid condition but needs some attention to get it road worthy and looking good enough for me to be happy with. Lots more details/history I could share but I don't want to bore you all.

I was doing some searching online for parts and this forum came up and you all look to be a great resource for information....so I hope it is OK to join and tap into the collective wisdom as I bring the Seca back to life.

First question and sorry if I missed a how-to section on the site but I could not locate information about how to start a thread. Could someone point me in the correct direction?

Thanks in advance!

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

1. xj bikes are supposed to have a healthy tick should sound like a sewing machine
    Seca wheel will fit just a little hard to find
    no atari on the 550's
    led signals can be done but are a pain but if you are going min wiring there is a schmatic for that here,
    fuse box good idea

3. XJ550H

1. xj bikes are supposed to have a healthy tick should sound like a sewing machine

Seca wheel will fit just a little hard to find
    no atari on the 550's
    led signals can be done but are a pain but if you are going min wiring there is a schmatic for that here,
    fuse box good idea
    seca 550cam and carbs

4. Chops

Chops New Member

How did I get here?
    The abbreviated version is I was between bikes, I was half looking for an early Harley Davidson Evo, then one day while at a mate’s shed I noticed a bike languishing in the corner with a heap of crap piled on it, it wasn’t at all what I was looking for but now there’s an 81 XJ750 Seca in my shed.
    I pulled the carbs off to clean them up and get it running, then I started google-ing to work out what they were so I could buy a carby kit, I think they’re HSC33 but they might me HSC32.... I’m about to head out to the shed to measure them. From my interwebs research I’m thinking the 32/33 refers to size of throttle plate/butterflies.

5. XJ550H

http://xjbikes.wikidot.com/carb-specs

XJ750 Models:

Years & Models: 1981-3 XJ750 Maxim, Midnight Maxim, and Seca USA models
    Carb Manufacturer: Hitachi
    Carb Series: HSC32
    Carb Model ID: 15R00 (Maxim, Midnight Maxim)
    Carb Model ID: 5G200 (Seca)

Years & Models: 1981-4 XJ750 11M UK/Europe Seca models
    Carb Manufacturer: Hitachi
    Carb Series: HSC32
    Carb Model ID: 5N100

6. Ketchup

Ketchup Member

Thank you for the response, XJ550H! ;)

Cam Tick: That is what I had read too. Very first thing I did was stick the stethoscope to her. She certainly sounds like a pissed off industrial sewing machine at idle - but calms down with added rippums (RPMs).
    Seca Wheels: There appear to be a handful of "Seca" 550 wheels on ebay - but exercise caution as not all of them are 18" rims! Some for as little as $40 (w/ $40 shipping..), as well as a NOS for the tune of $500. Now, I fancy my matching wheels at tires but goodness. That puts me into fork-swap-and-chill budget.
    Atari: In review, you are correct here. Looks like my understanding of "Atari" is a bit too global of the XJ models. I'll edit the original posting to reflect my desire to rid myself of the original gauge cluster.
    LED Signals: Have read as much of the LED Signal threads as possible and it seems reasonable - but annoying. Seeing as how I've already been through that entire circuit - it should be a breeze, right? (...no)

Do we as an XJ community have any sort of general information/how-to's/write-ups on swapping in different camshafts? I love the 550, but aiming to have a bit more "lope" sound go with it, post 4-2-1. Seca 550 or F600 cams? Lastly, and not to hijack too much here, is there any sort of collective information regarding swapping out the pesky XJ550 upper triple tree with the incorporated Riser/Pullback? That thing needs to go. Pronto.

Thank you again,

~Ketchup

7. XJ550H

it is in the repair manual on cam removal do you have one?

do not know about tripple tree swaps to rid the risers there are threads on swapping front ends and getting dual disc out of the deal. the xj550 rims are predrilled and taped for dual disc

8. Tonybluegoat

Tonybluegoat Member

Google "XJ bike discussion"

9. RobPryce

RobPryce New Member

I am amazed and grateful how active this site is for these limited run XJ's. I am on my second 750 Seca which is an '82, my first being an '81. I had the first on the east coast and drove the shit out of it, learning little things here and there, using this site as my main resource but clocked around 17k miles on it in the year I owned it before moving to California and finding Seca #2 - the '82. I am a member at a DIY shop and have rebuilt the carbs, the entire charging system, corrected valve clearances, fork seals, and whatever else has come up. I've put down around 20-25k miles on this one from LA to Vancouver, multiple trips to Ventura, Joshua Tree, and is my main transportation.

I have a failing head gasket and am looking into all of the "while you're in there" items, trying to get an idea of pricing and time to invest. Right now it runs very smooth but I'm still learning and I don't know how long until the head gasket will fail. I don't want to be 300 miles from anything without water and shade when it blows.

Any suggestions, time estimates on a rebuild, and pricing estimates would be much appreciated!

kosel likes this.
  10. RobPryce

RobPryce New Member

11. Christopher McTavish

Christopher McTavish Member

12. Bluegray57

Bluegray57 Active Member

Google brought me here. I've been looking for a bike to re-enter the world of riding after a VERY long hiatus. I prefer the upright sitting position and the XJ650 caught my eye. I'm a true believer of belonging to a group that has infinite knowledge on a subject that I'm interested in.

13. Fromashedinwigan

Fromashedinwigan New Member

Hi fellow xj folk. Bought my 1st example of this marque last week. It's a 11000 mile 600cc UK bike.
    I Google " rejetting xj carb for pod filters" and found this little gem of a community.

14. XJ550H

xj1100 or xs 1100?

miss read that i understand now

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  15. kerriskandiesinc

kerriskandiesinc Active Member

Sounds like the XJ600 or 600 Diversion??

16. Fromashedinwigan

Xj600. I've got pics but they're deemed spam like ?

17. XJ550H

after 5 posts you can post photos. if you start your own thread you can do a running history of the bike what you do/did to it and the problems that arise.

if planing on mods the mod forum may be a good place to do the thread.

18. Fromashedinwigan

Thanks for that. I will start there

19. AndrewD

AndrewD New Member

Hey all, just googled and there you were. I am a novice at bike stuff, but have been riding for years. This next bike will be a labour of love converting an XJ750 into a scrambler/cafe racer. Good to find people who are passionate about this bike.

20. Fromashedinwigan

Keep posting and you'll eventually be able to pug pictures up !