1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1984 BMW K100RT? Thinking about it...

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by Timbox, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

Pssst... that's a aluminum tank :)
    the big rubber gasket for the gas cap, keep it stretched or in some gas or it will shrink.
    i got all my bits from http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/index.html they put a bag of peanut M&M's in each order, i'm easily impressed :)

2. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

I thought as much, as it was so clean on the piping inside the tank ;) As for that low fuel device, that is even looking better. I will have to test it and see if is working. That and test the power leads to the pump to make sure it works.

Thanks for the heads up on the gas cap gasket. When I took it off I had to clean under it, lots of gunk. I am sure I will put some type of gas resistant soft seal on it when I put it back together. Not much but some.

Weather here sucks again, lots of ice from the rain last night and now snow on top of that. This is not riding weather :(

3. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Drained the gas tank today to see how it came out, not too bad. I need to hit it with some acetone to get the rest out along with some compressed air. The BMW fuel pump did not make it, been bumping it with 12V - + and then + - and it will not spin. Those cost so much but I do have a Mustang pump coming in the mail, said to do the same thing just needs a little fitting.

Should be a really nice week here in WI, so hope to be able to get more things looked at and safety checked on the bike. Really looking forward to cleaning the rest of the fuel system and then flushing the radiator.

4. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Coming along, man this stainless steal tank is wonderful but getting a fuel pump in there will be something.
    Here is the tank:
    [​IMG]Clean Tank by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    So I thought I would bypass the gas tank and see if I could get the fuel pump to work sense the injectors were cleaned and back on the bike.
    [​IMG]Pump in jug to run bike by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    Fuel pump in a gal jug and bypassed the tank by bringing the return hose back to the jug.

Just used the "+" off the four wire and then grounded the other side to the bike.
    [​IMG]Bypass the gas tank by Tim Brown, on Flickr

5. Chitwood

Chitwood Well-Known Member

So...did it start???

6. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

7. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Yes it did start and I ran it for a while to check for any leaks. Once the smoke cleared it sounded so nice, steady idle and nice smooth running engine. No noticeable noise that should not be there. So once the new fuel pump comes in and I fit it to the "aluminum" tank I will take it out for a test ride. That is if the ICE road by my house melts in the next few days.

Ya...i need to keep remembering that...aluminum...stainless steal....I will get it one of these days. Thanks for keeping me straight on that..

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  8. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

I don't know if it's steel or aluminum. I was just trying to start a fight!

"In this corner, the scrappy, opinionated Polock. In the other corner, wearing red white and blue trunks, Timbox! Wait, in an unexpected turn, both contestants have joined together and are attacking Matti!"

Timbox likes this.
  9. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

Nice bike. My neighbor has 3 BMW's. Nice bikes. He and his wife ride them a lot, just as I do my XJ.

He also works on them in the driveway as much or more often than I do my vintage XJ. I asked him why his mirror was glued together.... his parts cost are outrageous. Just sayin....

Enjoy.

10. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

11. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

OMG that guy's arse is on backwards!

images.jpeg

12. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Yes the parts are crazy $$$ so here is hoping that I can keep it running for just the $190 or so for battery and fuel pump. Everything else I have leftovers in my shop so here is hoping. First BMW and for sure first really old sitting injected bike.

As for him working on the bikes, I am not sure why? Most of the engines run for 150K miles and besides burning a little oil (normal) they are rocks. They do have dry clutches so if the owner does not keep the lever with some play in it, then they are asking for issues. Trans has it's own hypo oil because the clutch is dry, so maybe more checking of fluids.

As for mine, got a few things done today, put in a nice big battery.
    [​IMG]New Battery by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    Then I tried to work on the seat. The hinges are all broken on the right side of the seat, not the bike. It is very strange on how it rises and then has a hinge stop to hold it up. Need to get some "C" clips and then figure out what to do with the seat. I think I am going to end up welding this part.
    [​IMG]Seat 3 by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    This is what looks like without the broken bit on the seat.
    [​IMG]Seat 4 by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    To the frame as the stock way has broken the end off. The stock way slides into the plastic right hand rear hand grab. Not too sure how that is going to take the weight anyway.
    Here is the locking hinge, it too is wither bent but need to "C" clips to even mount.
    [​IMG]Seat 1 by Tim Brown, on Flickr

13. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

that box under the seat holds four square cuts of pizza and kind of keeps them warm :)

MattiThundrrr likes this.
  14. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Took your advice and drilled out some holes in those pegs, much better. I need another set of hand to hold and or mount that seat. Already scratch the paint, but what the heck, that was bound to happen. Taking it over to one of the marsh shops to see if my buddy can see something I can't see.

15. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Well the sending unit in the fuel tank broke! I guess you could say it was okay but the power wire (yellow) wire broke in the plastic, so had to fine another. They are not cheap but what the heck it is a project FI bike and I will get it up and running (with the tank on).
    [​IMG]20180308_112225[1] by Tim Brown, on Flickr

Here is a better pic of the bad wire.
    [​IMG]20180308_112213[1] by Tim Brown, on Flickr

Put the fuel pump in place today with some fuel safe foam. I just thought it would be best to do that and then make sure it will work and not kink any of the fuel line. This fuel and pump issue better not be a preamble as to the rest of the maint on the bike! Still waiting on the rest of the snow to melt and then a good hard rain to clean some of roads here in WI anyway. That and the paper work for the bonded title, but have to keep hope and dream.

16. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Parts came in the mail today, now to get the time. I have to run my summer bike up to have them check it with a diag machine. I have no clue why it is not running well from idle to 2K? Anyway, for this bike, will get the used gauge checked out, put it back in the bottom of the gas tank and then see if I can get her all buttoned up and running. Need to take her down the road to see if she is smooth as BMW's should be. Did all the safety stuff and fluid checks. All lights but the front turn signals work, got them in the mail but not on the bike. Recheck tire pressure and then down the county road.

17. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

https://drive.google.com/open?id=13jdQznr9tT5Q14cwBOEpFBos6U3Ti0AY
    some other stuff i found, hope you never need it.
    it's html, hope you know how to use it, i don't completely
    you should grease those drive splines before you ride it..... $$
    the summer bike, suzuki? mine has a onboard diagnostic for throttle position sensor (touchiest adjustment i've ever seen) that will make a big difference in off idle responce

18. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Got some paper work back from the WI DMV...I didn't check "Motorcycle" and somehow didn't include a pic of the VIN plate in my packet...hmmmm.... So, they asked me to take it to the local Police and have them verify the VIN and also send them a pic of the "safety sticker" on the bike. All that is done and that part is back in the mail. I would guess that would be a fast turn around.

Polock,
    Yes I will get those splines looked at once the temps get back to normal. I think the steering head will really need to be looked at too. I don't feel any grinding but something is just not smooth. Could be that it was sitting for so long and just needs a bit of movement.

Yes the other bike is a Bandit 1250 and I do use "Diag" mode from that plug on the right. Works well and that bike is really running well this spring. Will be my first full season with it and plan on riding it a lot.

19. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

One of the weak points of the K100 is the rear spline...I was lucky and mine is in good shape. I also found out that my seat mount is broken off the frame :( So will have to unplug lots of electrics and get the seat in place and weld it up. Have to remove the rear plastic.
    [​IMG]20180321_123734 by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    [​IMG]20180321_122553 by Tim Brown, on Flickr

20. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Took the brick out the other day, very short trip, ice still on my road. The bike ran well but had a little wobble from the front. One of the guys that has seen a pic of the bike told me my front tire was on the wrong way! I will have to look at it but I am sure he is right. The PO had new tires put on it and sure enough it looks like the "arrow" is going the wrong way. Besides that these bikes have fork gators that needed to be softened as the rubber was really in bad shape. So I hope once I get the tire reversed it will ride a little better.