1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Wiring ..no spark $@<!

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Jonathan L King, Mar 23, 2018.

1. Jonathan L King

Jonathan L King New Member

81 xj550h by passing the safety relays the orange and grey wires coming form the ignition coils on the diagram it shows them going to the ignitor but not which prong they should be wired to ...on the bike the orange and grey wires are going to a relay switch (which is now gone) have no spark... wiring harness disassembled ...also the ignitors metal backing plate.. when grounded blows the fuse is there a diagram showing how the ignitor should be wired to the ignition coils ..i have the OEM wiring diagram and both the minimum xj diagrams both nothing about which prongs to wire them to on the ignitor

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

047.JPG

the black/white wire is not used, unless you are relocating the tci the pickup coil harness should be used

3. Jonathan L King

Why would the metal backing plate on ignitor blow a fuse when it's grounded

4. XJ550H

the metal backing plate is mounted to a plastic tray in oem configuration. could be the problem but I am doubtful it is the problem. I would not thing yamaha would put any voltage to the plate

could be you have a short from the pc board from bad components , a bad tci. open it up take a look.
    was the bike running before you started your work?

test the pickup coils orange wire to ground gray wire to ground , and of course orange to gray and both to the black wire
    tests to ground should give you an open reading for orange and gray wires, orange to gray would read 1.3k ohms. orange to black 650 ohms gray to black 650 ohms.

I would also test each tab on tci to the metal base.

I will check the tabs on a good tci and post what I get

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
  5. XJ550H

i went through all ranges on my meter for ohms and there should be no continuity to the base plate.

on a bad tci I have there is continuity in the 200K range.

6. Jonathan L King

The bike was not running it's a complete project needs alot I got most the other stuff no problem just wiring I can't stand it not something that comes naturally to me I have 650 on my pick ups I have one of ignition coil test bad and the caps on the same coil test bad one coil tested good along with wires and caps I'll have to test the ignitor and see if any prongs have continuity with the backing plate if so I'll be ordering another along with the coils I was just waiting to start ordering alot since I have one coil testing good I figured if I could get it to fire then I could buy both new coils knowing where to wire them in at

Attached Files:

7. XJ550H

550 wont start with just 2 cylinders running ( 1&4 ) (2&3)

8. Jonathan L King

I know it won't crank just get it to spark a plug but either way I test the ignitor 5 prongs connected to the backing plate so I have to go ahead and order the coils and ignitor

9. Jonathan L King

The 4 prong connector in the picture you posted to wire the ignitor doesn't at all match the colors of the wires in the connector if I wire it to the picture red and white will be where my blue and black wire is... black will be where my red and white is.. orange will be where my white wire is ...gray will be where my black is ....is all that correct ?

10. XJ550H

Red/white top left , orange wire top right
    Black wire bottom left , Gray wire bottom right

as pictured into tci 4 position connector that comes from harness

harness drawing above is correct
    bw.JPG left.JPG

11. Jonathan L King

Okay thank you .... and just to be clear the bike does not have the harness it's a big wire mess trying to basically make a bear minimum wiring harness with nothing but the have to have to run using these

Attached Files:

12. XJ550H

yes i understand that but the min wiring diagrams also have the same colors as me