1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Replace cam chain - assembled engine

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by xjyamaha, Apr 2, 2018.

1. xjyamaha

xjyamaha Member

Have my XJ650 engine reassembled and went to put the cams back in today and realized the new cam chain is a few inches too short. I'm guessing I measured it incorrectly when sizing it up compared to the old chain but I now need to replace it.

What's the best way of going about replacing the chain while the engine is assembled sans cam shafts? Of course it's easier when the cases are split but I'm well beyond that phase at this point. The chain moves freely and there is not binding whatsoever when spinning the crankshaft, so it doesn't appear there is any other issue occurring.

I've looked around and there doesn't appear to be any write-ups on the process.

Thanks.

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

master link for new chain. break the current chain clip it to the new chain and wind it through. you would want to remove cams to avoid bent valves

3. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

NOTE: all replacement cam chains are sold as an "endless chain", meaning it comes riveted together. In a situation where you have the engine all apart, it can be used as is, because you'll have side access to the gear on the crank. If you will be installing a new chain into an assembled engine, then you will have to break one of the links in order to "drop and drape" the chain over the crank gear.......and thus will also need a new master link in order to put the chain back together again.

Your only options are:

a) find an original cam chain, they used a master link.

b) IF your cam chain is in good shape, AND it's an original factory chain, then you can drive out the original master link and replace it, as we still have the original master links available:

HCP2550 OEM camshaft chain MASTER LINK, use with the OEM cam chains, fits all XJ550, XJ650, XJ700 non-X, all XJ750 air-cooled models, XJ1100, and XS1100 engines. NOTE: this link will not work on the aftermarket cam chains, only on the OEM chains.

Robert Powell likes this.
  4. xjyamaha

xjyamaha Member

Disregard

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018