1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

81 xj650

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Darrinwill1991, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Darrinwill1991

Darrinwill1991 New Member

I need help, i talked about the cam chain jumping and punching a hole in my valve cover. Its tight again now but im worried that the chain will do it again. I bought new guide set and the tensioner on the back of the engine. I am curious if replacing all of them will stop it from happening again or if it stretched if taking a link out will work. Also where is the chain tensioner that you have to line up tonthe t-mark? I got the manual but it isnt helpful in the cam chain area at all. Please help all the parts will be here saturday and i hope to be in the road sunday.

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

you line up with the c mark on the pointer under the left crankshaft cover then install the chain tensioner that is on your bike turn the undo the stop nut release bolt and retorque it and the stop nut. you would be better off replacing the cam chain too.

3. Darrinwill1991

Darrinwill1991 New Member

The cam sproket on the inlet side broke in half. I managed to find and remove half of it i have taken off the oil pand and am taking the cylinder head and carbs today so that i can get a better look forbthe other half and to check the valves. Im hoping that nothing bent so that its just the cam sprokets and chain replacement and not a whole top end.

4. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

you could find another motor slip a xj750 motor in there

Toomanybikes likes this.