1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

New bikes

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by wink1018, Apr 14, 2018.

1. wink1018

wink1018 Active Member

Is it just me or does it seem that Yamaha has the best and broadest selection of bikes nowadays? I mean, they are the best looking with less gawdyness to them. Even Honda is starting to make bikes that fail to hold my attention.

I took a look at the Yamaha Motorsports website the other day and fell in love with one of their new bikes. That SR400 is a retro styled bike that is a pure as it can get with today’s technology. Considering that it doesn’t even have a start button or electric starter appeals to my vintage liking. A kick starting fuel injected single cylinder in a body reminiscent of old British twins of the 50’s-70’s.

Have a look...

Jetfixer likes this.
  2. FJ111200

FJ111200 Active Member

3. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

I am in like with the xsr line. If I could get a new bike, it'd probably be the 700. If I wanted a Harley, I'd probably get a bolt. The thing I miss is chrome. Everything is blacked out nowadays, and it makes it tough to see the mechanical bits.

4. wink1018

wink1018 Active Member

5. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

The reason that the SR400/500 looks like a classic bike is that they never went out of production. Yamaha updated things to keep it euro-emissions compliant, and Yamaha USA made the right call in bringing it back to the U.S.

wink1018 likes this.
  6. Andyam5

Andyam5 Member

It's very subjective, I love the XSR look and I agree, Yamaha generally have the best looking bikes of the big Jap 4 but Triumphs take some beating lately

7. Wintersdark

Wintersdark Well-Known Member

I like the XSR's a lot, but they're insanely expensive compared to the functionally identical but non-retro styled MT's.

I was in a local bike shop last week, and paused for quite a long look at a (new, but 2016) Bolt C-Spec - priced at $5000, it was incredibly tempting.... Right until I sat on it. The airbox is positioned horribly, pushes really uncomfortably into your knee. But it was a damn sexy bike nevertheless. If I was more cruisery, though, I'd probably have bought it.

But instead, I made poor financial choices and bought a 2018 MT07. So, that's a thing. Wasn't a hard choice - I really like the midsize class engine wise, and compared to the SV650 (which I've ridden, and didn't like) and the Z800 (which seems ok, to be fair, though it tends to lose in every comparison review to the MT07)... Well, the Yamaha just looks a lot better.

So yeah, pretty much across the board, gotta agree: Yamaha is really hitting it out of the park recently. A lot of really great looking (and very well reviewed, too!) bikes.

8. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

How much more money is the xsr? Since I am only fantasizing, it doesn't really matter, but still... My thought on the Mt is that it could use a fly screen.

I also spend a bunch of time thinking about Kawasaki Vulcan 650. Damn fine rides are out there, I just need to get someone else to finance my family.

9. Wintersdark

I absolutely agree the MT needs a flyscreen. It's even got a mount on the front that, if nothing else, should have the Yamaha cowl on it; otherwise the bike looks like it's missing something there.

The XSR700 is $1500 (Canadian) more than the MT07, and they are identical bikes aside from the styling differences. I was kinda sad, as I really like the XSR's and have oogled them for years, but I couldn't justify $1500 for a small visual change (particularly when I also find the MT's really attractive, too).

To be honest, though, despite not really liking the "sit on it feel" I keep thinking of those Bolt's again. 942cc engine, so purdy, and so, so cheap. $5000 for an unused bike at that displacement is crazy.

10. Tim O

Tim O Active Member

If I was going new Yamaha, without driving it yet.... I was a fan of the XSR900 when I saw it in the shop.
    https://cloud.yamahamotorsports.com/library/img.jpg?id=59c2e7432a0ab7223c26fbdd&w=840

But in looking for that link I see the Tracer 900 GT. :D:D:rolleyes::D:D... Think I'm in love....
    https://cloud.yamahamotorsports.com/library/img.jpg?id=5a04a8a92a0ab62f6cdb233a&w=840

That thing definitely has some Seca DNA in it....
    Now that I ride... think I should have the bank put an automatic block on my accounts for bike shop transactions in the springtime.

11. Wintersdark

I love the exhaust on all these bikes, but on the triples in particular it looks awesome.

But yeah, they're all so durned purdy.

12. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

13. Wintersdark

That'd probably help a lot.

I was looking at this one: http://blackfootonline.com/moto_productdetail.php?id=4297 and imho the photo doesn't nearly do it justice. Just need something to pull the airbox's rear forward an inch or two, and in a bit. It'd be easier for non-giant people too I'm 6'4" so that's usually a problem for me.

I'd probably change the bars too if I was going to ride longer distances, but bars are really cheap. It's a visually striking bike as it is though.

14. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

I like the Speed Triple.

15. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

beauty is in the eye of the demographic that buys the most bikes.

cgutz likes this.
  16. Tim O

Tim O Active Member

I was at a shop in Newport News Saturday and saw one of these...
    upload_2018-6-4_16-43-59.png

Liked it A LOT....

Looks like a Seca 1100...

Jetfixer and cgutz like this.