1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Oil flow issue after rebuild.

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by xjyamaha, Apr 21, 2018.

1. xjyamaha

xjyamaha Member

Posted this over at the Turbo forum as i'm working on a Seca Turbo but I figured i'd post here too as my issue isn't exclusive to the turbo bikes. Mostly finished with my rebuild and slapped the cams and cover back on last night, and upon cycling the engine to make sure oil was flowing out of the check valve, through the turbo and back into the oil pan i've discovered I have no oil flow.

I took the check valve off and verified no oil movement, and upon taking the end caps off the oil tunnel underneath the side cover (the passage below the crank shaft) I verified there is no oil moving through when cranking the engine without plugs and in neutral. The clutch cover was removed and I can see the oil pump chain spinning when turning the engine over, so i'm a bit stumped as to what may be the issue/what I did wrong. No my first rebuild on a 650 engine so I feel a bit dumb.

Oh yeah, and it had plenty of oil when I was initially turning it over. I drained a bit to take the clutch cover off and still can see oil pooled within the pan.

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

complete rebuild?
    did the bearings have the proper hole locations to allow oil flow?
    any oil going into filter?
    oil pumps into filter then into bolt that holds cover on and then into crankshaft.
    did you check oil pump during rebuild

assembly lube or oil on oil critical parts when assembling?

3. xjyamaha

xjyamaha Member

Oil pump was cleaned and in good condition. I just checked and there is oil flowing into the oil filter, and oil does move out of the oil filter plate into the intercooler lines, but the intercooler and lines didn't appear to have had any oil moving through. How fast does oil move through all the lines after a complete rebuild? I've probably given a good two to three 15-20 seconds worth of cranking with the starter and no plugs in. It seems to me at that point you'd be seeing oil moving through the intercooler, crankshaft passage and turbo oil lines.