1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ750 Seca (1982) wont start/wont run

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by nate miller, Apr 25, 2018.

1. nate miller

nate miller New Member

need some help... I picked up an 82' seca... with no wiring harness. rectifier, fuse box, TCI/CDI, and ignition coils present.

Long story short... I am making a new wiring harness... bought a new battery and starter solenoid. I used the Pinterest green background simplified wiring diagram and believe I have everything hooked up right... I haven't used the multimeter to check everything...but did do a continuity test and have power going to everything (ignition coils, fuse box, rectifier, key, brushes, etc) that I can see....

If I arc the starter solenoid with a screw driver, the starter rolls over... but that is the only way it rolls over...

I did notice the following:

-starter will rollover (when arc'd) even when in gear.
    -I need to ground the coils
    -the kickstand safety switch wiring has been removed
    (does this go into the TCI/CDI- if so which colored wires?)
    -when the key is off, there is still continuity to the "main" fuse (is this an issue?)

I really want to be able to get this motor running before I go much further into the project. ie. before I get the lights/blinkers, and balance of customization complete.

any help anyone can be would be great appreciated!!!! I'll take all recommendations as well!!
    xj750.jpg diagram.PNG

2. Aisaakh99

Aisaakh99 Member

I'm also having the same issue, but I cannot figure out some of my wiring harness. I have an 82' seca as well. I'm having power to the instrument cluster and lighting. but my coils won't turn the engine over and the turn signals won't work. I bought a new harness but I'm not too sure if I connected everything up correctly.

3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

start your own thread it will help you and us solve your problems.