1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

getting the tappet back in 82 650

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by cruiserlover, Apr 23, 2018.

1. cruiserlover

cruiserlover Active Member

For several weeks now I have been trying to get the tappet on number 4 intake side back in.I have been busy but now have time to deal with this.I took the tappet, also called bucket or cam follower I think out of the ruined head.It is obvious there is nearly no clearance between the bucket and its respective hole.Now i cant get the bucket back in the damaged old head either.My repair manual says "lubricate the cam followers and reinsert them in their original position". I sure would like to.I have all the parts to make it run if I could get this one irritating little tappet to fall in to place.I tried grease,a magnet to steady my hand,pushing down and twisting, nothing works.I am going to tap on the ruined head and see if a little tapping makes that tappet go back in.What is the secret?

2. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

I wondered how you got on.
    Have you ascertained is it the bore or the tappet that's causing the problem? Sounds like it's the tappet from the above?
    ("Can't get the tappet into the old head either")
    So get another tappet?

3. cruiserlover

I have several hundred, about 700 dollars in parts waiting for engine reassembly.But this stupid tappet wont go in.In regard to the old head comment, I meant I lifted a tappet out of the ruined head and then it wouldn't go back in the head it just came out of.What magic is needed to get one of these things lined up and it will drop in.I tried the old head just to see if it was the tappet or me.Its me.A seemingly impossible task for me for some reason.

4. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

I could write a whole paragraph on how what you're doing relates to sexual techniques, but I expect it would be frowned upon. Enough said?

5. cruiserlover

go take a cold shower

6. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

And there you can feel for splines, and spread the planetary gears..........

7. cruiserlover

yeeha!!! I got the tappet back in. How did I do it finally? Well, I had been grabbing the whole tappet barrel between either thumb and forefinger, trying to somehow line it up to drop down in the hole.for weeks. Today I halfhearted tried again. This time i held the tappet still with both forefingers and like a punk kid texting i pushed down with both thumbs at the same time.voila! iT WENT IN.

8. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

Awesome! Now get that thing done and ride!

9. cruiserlover

thats the plan brother.assembly starts tomorrow.I am counting on my experience with chevy 327s being enough to get me through this.