1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1981 XJ550RH For Sale

Discussion in 'For Sale, Trade/Swap, Wanted' started by Baxter, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Baxter

Baxter New Member

XJ550RH .jpeg XJ550RH for sale as a complete bike (but that could change as time goes by).
    The bad - It starts and runs but the carbs need adjustment. Also when I went to ride Saturday after a week of it sitting, it was about a sixth of a quart low. I added oil, took it for a short ride and checked it the next day and the level is good. I think that the blind plug finally gave out ( http://www.xjbikes.com/forums/threads/engine-case-what-is-this.106880/#post-548893) and I have neither the skill or the $$$ to get it fixed.
    I have owned it for about 2 years and it has almost 13k miles. In those two years (about 1500 miles) I have done the following:
    Filters, oil and air
    Chain and sprocket
    Tires (Conti GO)
    Seat reupholstered
    Valves adjusted
    Valve cover gasket with new bolts and rubber grommets
    Rebuilt front brake reservoir, caliper and steel brake line
    Rear brake shoes replaced
    Front fork seals and fluid replaced
    Hella headlight
    Down pipes rechromed
    Fuse box replaced
    It is complete with all the plastic although the right side cover has a crack (Surprise!) that we tried welding but I leave it off the bike because I don't want to tempt fate. I took the snout off when I got it, disassembled it and it is in a box. The paint is not perfect anywhere on the bike and the snout is scratched but the tank appears to be solid.
    It is in Nebraska.
    The picture is from when I first got the bike. I will put up others as requested.
    I am working days but I will check post as available.
    Thanks,

2. joe elliff

joe elliff Active Member

Man o man. I likey lots. Hmmm.

3. joe elliff

joe elliff Active Member

Where in Nebraska?

4. Baxter

Baxter New Member

5. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

1. How did you get someone to re-chrome exhaust components?

2. How did you 'weld' the plastic?

6. joe elliff

joe elliff Active Member

There is a product called bondic which is a liquid plastic type "welder". I've seen it on YouTube. I don't know how well it'd work on our motorcycle plastics though. I'd more think of it as a light duty product that wouldn't stand up to vibration. I could be wrong tho.

7. Baxter

Baxter New Member

Hogfiddles,
    1 - There is a place in Omaha called Industrial Plating that did all 4 for $321 in December 2016. I am including a picture of what one looked like before I took it in.
    2 - Mentioned on other threads here at XJBikes is a procedure using a plastic solding iron kind of thing that has a bigger tip but a lower temperature. You use plastic tubing or zip-tie and a piece of metal like a cut paper clip and kind of sink the clip into the plastic and use the other plastic to backfill. It did not come out wonderfully but it was what I could do; I bought a broken one off the interWebs and did some practicing on that one before I tried one for keeps.(thumbnails of that also).
    Baxter

Attached Files:

joe elliff likes this.
  8. Baxter

Baxter New Member

Hogfiddles,
    1 - There is a place in Omaha called Industrial Plating that did all 4 for $321 in December 2016. I am including a picture of what one looked like before I took it in.
    2 - Mentioned on other threads here at XJBikes is a procedure using a plastic solding iron kind of thing that has a bigger tip but a lower temperature. You use plastic tubing or zip-tie and a piece of metal like a cut paper clip and kind of sink the clip into the plastic and use the other plastic to backfill. It did not come out wonderfully but it was what I could do; I bought a broken one off the interWebs and did some practicing on that one before I tried one for keeps.(thumbnails of that also).
    File_004 (2).jpg IMG_1082.JPG IMG_1083.JPG IMG_1085.JPG
    Baxter

9. hogfiddles

Interesting about the replating.

For plastic repair, I really like the Oatey ABS -Specific cement. It literally melts the plastic so it can flow together with the cement and make the crack nonexistent.

10. Baxter

Baxter New Member

Thanks for the tip about Oatey. Always good to have more tools for the tool-box as they say.

11. hogfiddles

You can also make your own by dissolving fine shavings of abs plastic into pure acetone to create a creamy paste.

Baxter likes this.
  12. joe elliff

joe elliff Active Member

That my friends is a wealth of knowledge for plastic repair. I had never heard of oatey before nor the process you'd used Baxter.
    That's what I love about this forum. Everyone shares their knowledge. Baxter. I actually think that came out very nice for a plastic repair. I'm off now to look for the thread containing the info

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  13. hogfiddles

I'm restoring a lower chin for a 900rk right now, and it has several large chunks missing. i"m slowly creating them with the ABS cement.......filling and filing, etc.. By the time I'm done, there won't be a thing missing, and there won't be any cracks because of the way the cement works :)

14. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

oatey is plumbing pipe cement go to your local hardware store 2 types abs and pvc

15. hogfiddles

These are the two that I use
    image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Simmy likes this.