1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1982 Kawasaki KZ750 CSR

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by jayrodoh, Nov 3, 2017.

1. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

Not a Yamaha but stumbled onto this on Craigslist Tuesday. I've owned two other Kawasaki's but I've always wanted a "big twin" with laced wheels. Runs and drives, wife rode it home for me today. Will get the usual mechanical redo but I don't think it'll get the full resto, at least not now. I've been spoiled by Len, some of the parts for this are really tough to find. I was really happy, bike is complete, unmolested, and all stock. Only thing missing is the rear grab rail. I see way too many of these bobbed etc.

IMG_1242.jpg

2. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

In case the brakes fail?

Xjrider92117 likes this.
  3. jayrodoh

Bwahahaha! Shhhh, don't let her know :D

Honestly, my wrist isn't up to throttle and brake duty yet from the accident. I was going to trailer it but wife was like "nope, I'll ride it."

Chitwood and Xjrider92117 like this.
  4. Xjrider92117

Xjrider92117 Active Member

That's a pretty clean looking bike you got.

Chitwood likes this.
  5. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

When I read CSR I immediately assumed 4 cylinders since the 1000 CSR was, I just pictured a smaller version. The twin is more desirable imho. That seat is something I will not comment on though

6. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

I will. That couch looks too big for my living room!

jayrodoh likes this.
  7. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Had three of them in the past yr, fun bikes enjoy

jayrodoh likes this.
  8. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Jayrodoh, if I remember right, check that tach cable and make sure that the seal is good at the connection or you will have a oil leak. Also check the three yellow wire connections going to the rectifier, I think all three of mine had melted connectors. Your bike is much better then all three of mine were, maybe combined ;)

Hope the wrist gets better and that you get back on the road soon. You might have t0 fight the wife for it now that she has rode it ;)

9. jayrodoh

Every Kaw I've ever had leaked there, I'm pretty familiar with that replacement :) I'll check the regulator connections next time I'm out there. Thx!

10. schmuckaholic

schmuckaholic Well-Known Member

That's the bike I had before I got the Maxim. Ate clutch cables like candy. Starter didn't work -- kickstart came in real handy. Steering head bearings were notched. Threw a chain in traffic once, and ripped a hole in a side cover or some such. Also bent the clutch pushrod. Had to JB weld everything back into place overnight because that was my daily driver -- didn't have a car at the time. Got to the point where I had serious difficulties starting the thing -- as I wasn't as mechanically savvy as I am now, I had a shop look at it. They said the valve shims were way off. I ended up trading it in on the 750J.

Oh, and I had the tach seal leak, too.

Oh, she's a keeper. :p

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  11. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

That reminds me of the starter clutch three spring rattle issue, I hope you don't have that with your Kaw. She looks to be in really good shape.

12. jayrodoh

The 750 twin has a known starter clutch issue, more common than the XJ one. The good thing is you can rebuild it without splitting the case (or so I’m told, never had a twin). Mine doesn’t seem to have any issues but I’ve only started it three times so I can’t say for sure :D

Yes, pretty clean but more importantly no major mods or jacked up wiring etc.

13. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

I think the issue is the springs in the starter clutch if it sits and gets no oil, is when they fail. If it is started now and then and has clean oil in her then I think you will be fine. It is not that hard of a job to fix it even if some day it sounds like marbles in the left side cover. Most times the factory screws will work their way out and start to rub on the inside cover.

14. jayrodoh

That's exactly what I've read and been told by others. I plan to give this bike a full mechanical work over during the winter, this is one of many items on the list. Take it out, degrease/clean it up, apply some locktite, and should be good. One guy on the Kaw forum actually disabled his and kick starts it now. He had two bikes lock up the rear tire when the clutch came apart.

15. jayrodoh

The starter, bad bearings, and thrown chain can happen to any old bike. All age or lack of maintenance related. I didn't buy a 35 year old bike with the expectation of just getting on and riding, I just have a love for the older bikes regardless of brand. They all have a model or five that I'd love to own.

She's not going anywhere, well not that she's mentioned to me ;)

16. joe elliff

joe elliff Active Member

That sure is a nice looking bike. My dad is a Kawasaki guy. Has a 76 kz750b and a ?76/77 kz650. He has always owned kawis other than the enduro bikes from his younger days. 500 Maico and I used to ride his 390 husky.

17. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Jay, sounds like you have it all worked out for the winter. I am sure you will find all the little things that are wrong and fix her up even better. Enjoy that twin :)

18. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Bet wife has a "new " bike? I had an 84 KZ 550 LTD F1 ...Shaft dive and air suspension ,had adjustable rear shocks ....Miss that bike had it for like 9 years sold it to a kid down the street ,had to teach him how to ride it....Moron Armor All ed the tires went around a curve and spilled the bike ...seen it 6 months later totally trashed :(