1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1982 RJ650XJ Seca Carb leaking

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Gary Hartmann, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Gary Hartmann

Gary Hartmann New Member

Hello, Found this sight about a year ago when I decided to get my 82 650 Seca running gain after a number of year setting in my garage while riding other bikes. It was stored with the tank empty and the carbs empty. I had learned my lesson in 2008 when I had to have the carbs refurbished in 2008 by a local Yamaha mechanic. When I went to start the bike last year after a few tries it started and ran well. As winter approached I drained the tank and carbs again for the winter. A few days ago I rolled the bike out of the garage filled the tank hooked up the fuel lines an it started right up after I primed it enough to fill the float bowls. I was about to take it to get it inspected when I notice that the right carb was leaking, a fairly consistent drip. So I drained the tank and float bowels again and put it back in the garage as I wasn't sure if it would continue to leak. So yesterday I hooked things back up rolled it out of the garage and it started up fine but continues to leak. The leak seems to be coming from the where the float bowl meets the upper part of the carb so I shut it down, only this time I left it outside for a couple of hours and it didn't leak. So I'm thinking that the float is stuck in the down position which is causing the leak. Am I correct in this line of thought. I've been riding since 1973 and have done regular maintained my own bikes but I'm not a mechanic so if the carbs need to be rebuilt I'd take it back to the same mechanic who I took it to the first time. He's knows the older Yamaha 4 cylinder bikes really well.

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

leak at the bowl and carb body would be gasket or loose screws
    if needle is sticking open fuel would leak out the top of asperator tube and overflow orifices.
    you will have to look into the carb throat to see if fuel is leaking out the asperator tube where the slide needle inserts and the overflow orifice s in the rear throat at the 9 and 3 oclock position
    check your wet set fuel levels when you fill the bowl rap it with a screwdriver handle incase the needle is binding

Setting the fuel levels

look at the carb cutaways in this link
    Something New, Something Naked

simple things first check to see if bowl screws are tight
    put bike on centerstand to check for leaks and overflow

-Fuel level measured via the clear-tube gauge: 3mm +/- 1mm (.12 +/- .04 inches) -Float height: 17.5 +/- 0.5mm

with bike on side stand fuel would be over the top of carb bowl

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    Kevin Skorski and Gary Hartmann like this.
  3. Gary Hartmann

Gary Hartmann New Member

Thanks for the info.

4. Andyam5

Andyam5 Member

Always a bad sign when your bowels leak, lol

5. Gary Hartmann

Gary Hartmann New Member

Yes bowels leaking a bad sign:). Good news is I back out the Seca today and started it up, After putting some Lucas carb cleaner last night and tapping on the float bowl this morning. Start right up and no leaking gas. So I took it up to the dealer to get inspected and talked to the mechanic about what had happened and he confirmed that it was probably the float bowl stuck. It passed inspection and I got it licensed. Next step new brake lines. shocks and tires .