1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1982 XJ 650 Project ( New To Forum )

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by jnimrod420, Mar 24, 2010.

1. jnimrod420

jnimrod420 Member

Re: 1982 XJ 650 Project ( New Pics )

Finally wrapped the pipes. It took a little over 6' for each pipe using 2" wrap & 1/4" overlap. I also just put on my 12" mini apes. The stock cables all just made it. The brake line did too but its really close so I will get a longer one when I get the chance. Let me know what you think.... I also finally named her. Her name is "Zoey" LOL.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

wgul likes this.
  2. Xplicit_XJ

Xplicit_XJ Member

Where did you get that 2up seat from or did you carve down the old one. I am looking for something like that for a project of mine. Thanks for the help Awesome looking bike bud.

3. jonathon

jonathon Member

I was going to ask the same question about the seat.

I'm hesitant to tamper with the rear mud guard too much, what you've done looks like a good compromise.

Did changing the lights give you any grief?

Do you have any photos of the rear end without the new seat on?

cheers for the updates, its looking sweet.

J

4. jnimrod420

jnimrod420 Member

Xplicit XJ, Its a stock sportster seat I picked up for $50 at a local chopper shop. I found those places are the best for finding almost brand new harley stuff for dirt cheap. They are always pulling off stock stuff and sticking it in the back room.

jonathon, The lights were no prob at all. Just make sure they are dual filament. And if you want them to work as blinkers as well as brake/tail lights just get a trailer light converter from advance auto parts for $12. I will take some pics of the seat off in the next couple of days. I just got a king peanut tank I will be attempting to fit on this weekend. I'm in the process of sanding and painting it now.

Thanks for the Props Everyone

5. skillet

skillet Active Member

The polishing of the engine parts is looking good. Think I've said this before but I'm REALLY not against blacking out engine parts, I think it's just the FLAT finish. IMHO SEMI looks better on engines. Me LIKEY your new speedo, have only seen digital from Mikes XS. Thumbs up for new position of ignition...

skillet

6. jnimrod420

jnimrod420 Member

jonathon,

Here is the pics of the rear end without the seat.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

And here she is with the peanut tank. She still needs some fitting but it will work for now.
    [​IMG]

I chose the # 42 because its the answer to the ultimate question. The answer to life the universe and everything. If you you cant tell, I'm a hitchhikers guide fan.

7. jnimrod420

jnimrod420 Member

Transformations

[​IMG]

8. jonathon

jonathon Member

Did you need the trailer converter because you were using tail lights as blinkers? Couldn't you have simply picked up some bullet blinker lights and plugged them into the existing system?

Its looking sweet, the little bit of polishing has helped heaps, but I actually think I prefer the previous riser bars, but that's just me.

Get out there and ride.

J

9. jnimrod420

jnimrod420 Member

I haven't hooked up the trailer converter yet. But yeah its to use the bullet lights as blinkers as well as tail/brake lights. You have to use the trailer converter to ad blinkers because the converter alternates the signal. So you can brake and flash at the same time. Otherwise it wouldn't blink when your braking.

10. ManBot13

ManBot13 Well-Known Member

I love the seat. My opinion...and only my opinion, is you need a little more rear fender under that great seat.

11. jnimrod420

jnimrod420 Member

Well, I put the stock tank back on but put on the #42 8) . It was worth a shot just wasn't exactly what I expected. It looked a lot better in the pics & from a distance.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. koolaid5

koolaid5 Member

Checking out your thread again it's weird how much my bike is turning out like yours :D I just ordered the 2up sportster seat yesterday. I also have 15" apes from TCBros and round headlight to go on along with the 750 maxim tank I picked up and am going to use over the sporty tank. I also got some forward controls from TCBros.

This bike is going to be sick. Yours is an inspiratioin. Thanks

13. streetmaster

streetmaster Member

Dud, you really need to get cracken on those fins, brake out the sand paper and do the edgess of the fins. Yeah i think mine looks real cool with the glossy black paint that i chose to go with, wich is all i did to make my fins pop. Good luck man the bike really coming around :idea:

14. jnimrod420

jnimrod420 Member

I know its been awhile since I've posted anything but finally I have had time to do something. I put those HD mufflers on today. I am in EMT school and I barley have time to eat now a days. I will definitely hit those fins up with sand paper the sec I get another chance to touch the bike. At least I get to ride it back and forth to school every day. Thanks for all the complements.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. streetmaster

streetmaster Member

Man the mufflers are looking sweet dude, be nice if you could make a Youtube video so we can here them :idea:

16. jnimrod420

jnimrod420 Member

17. skillet

skillet Active Member

"She's a little cold." Aren't they ALL!!! (LOL) Sounds nice...

skillet

18. streetmaster

streetmaster Member

Seems as though the PVC manny is working out pretty well for ya, thought about doin something with the stock airbox on mine, with a pod or two.

19. Hasersys

Hasersys Member

Hey, a local. Got any info on that Virago spoke rims swap? Also, your build on the intake you made. I am not sure if I want to do a pvc intake or not, but I would like an alternative to 4 pods.

20. koolaid5

koolaid5 Member

Man....mine is turning out to look a LOT like yours. I have 15" apes, forward controls, the 750 Maxim tank, the sporty seat, and just got some screamin eagle pipes in the mail that need to go on :D I Do you have any close ups and a little more detail on how you did the sporty seat?