1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1982 xj650rj SECA

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by XJ650SECATAY, Dec 24, 2017.

1. XJ650SECATAY

XJ650SECATAY Member

I got a tip from another user who suggested that I create a thread for my bike that specifically includes history, progress, questions, and comments. This will save time for everyone else, and hopefully provide myself and others with answers to questions and provide helpful insights concerning the 1982 xj650rj SECA.

To start, my bike is a 1982 xj650rj SECA (pictured). The previous owner bought it from an old man with only 3,000 miles on the odometer. The previous owner wanted to make it a cafe type bike, so the frame was cut near the rear to accommodate a cafe style seat loop, but it was never finished, so it sits right now with a cut frame. When he purchased it, he was able to get it to turn over after looking inside the engine, and replacing all of the gaskets. He said that he had rebuilt the engine, but I don't know exactly what else he did other that the gaskets.I'm not sure why, but after he got the engine to turn over, he had attempted to re-wire the engine without a harness and never finished. he let it sit outside for about a year and then I bought it. a few big boxes of parts were included, and they will be of great benefit to the project.

My first step is to find out if we have a good motor. at first, I was planning on continuing to re-wire like the previous owner, but I was lucky enough to find a stock wiring harness on ebay.

On 12/23/17, My step dad and I pulled all of the previous owners custom wiring. I started labeling the stock harness connections based on an original wiring diagram. We found that the sub harness was still in tact, and there were a lot of original harness connections used in the re-wire, so we pig tailed them and labelled them for future connection to the harness.

If you have any questions, concerns, or comments, please share them. My stepdad is incredibly knowledgeable with bikes, cars, etc... but this is my first project, and I want to continue to learn all that I can about my bike.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

wgul and Jetfixer like this.
  2. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Nice start

3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

the old man only had 3000 miles on him?
    you may be able to get the rear tail section and make the bike stock again. it is a 1 year model only.
    member hogfiddles was parting one out maybe he could help you out

lose the pods and get the airbox if you can find one.

do a compressin test on motor first. check the valve clearances
    if comp test is bad you could have a stuck ring east to fix with acetone and atf mixture

Jetfixer and hogfiddles like this.
  4. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

I do have the frame... and the airbox.... and the wiring harness-----

Jetfixer likes this.
  5. XJ650SECATAY

XJ650SECATAY Member

Xj550h, I’m almost certain that the original mileage is correct. I was very happily surprised to see it on the title, and the odometer. Also we have been trying to find an airbox. I’ve read that they provide a more sufficient amount of filtering, and the pods are garbage anyway. It looks like hogfiddles has one of those as well! Thank you for the advice concerning compression. I’ve been told that once we connect the harness to all of the ignition components, and get it to turn over, we’ll be able to do that. I have read about the 650 seca history before. I do know it is a one year bike, however, I will be going the custom build route, and making it a brat style bike.

Thanks!

6. XJ650SECATAY

XJ650SECATAY Member

Hogfiddles, I purchased a wiring harness, but I’ve been looking around for the airbox with no luck! Would you mind if I saw pictures of it?

Thanks!!

7. hogfiddles

Will do.... won't be home for several hours though----

8. XJ650SECATAY

XJ650SECATAY Member

Thank you!!

9. XJ650SECATAY

XJ650SECATAY Member

That’s alright! I’ll watch for a notification!

Thank you!

10. XJ650SECATAY

XJ650SECATAY Member

01/04/18
    I’ve gone through the bike and attached most of the electronics/ignition/starter parts to the factory harness. We took the previous coils off (which turned out to be automotive coils), and attached stock coils that we found through grim cycle salvage (Orem, UT). I also cleaned the carbs. I also emptied the oil, and took a look at the filter and spark plugs. All of these components were brand new, and I didn’t know until after I emptied the oil, but it was a nice surprise.

DAMAGE: we found cracks on all four intake carburetor boot joints. We also found that the gas tank leaks, due to a drop by the previous owner. If anyone knows where I can find a solid gas tank, let me know!

I will be making final adjustments to the bike in order to find out if it starts or not within the next couple of days!

Attached Files:

11. XJ650SECATAY

XJ650SECATAY Member

Update on gas tank damage: looks like a repair was previously attempted, and done wrong. Does anyone have suggestions?

Thanks!!

Attached Files:

12. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

My suggestion is to remove all of the bondo, and have the holes brazed shut properly.
    It'll need body filler to get the tank's shape back, but that tank looks sound enough to use. Finding a better one might require buying an already restored 650 Seca.

13. kboehringer

kboehringer Active Member

XJ650SECATAY,
    Frequently, the "Cracks" in old Yamaha intake boots do not extend to the inside or cause any leaks. Most have a metal core (not sure of our XJ650's). Yes, they look like "poo" but are normally completely functional and cause no performance issues.

The area where the clamp to the carbs sits in that groove is quite thin and the forward edge of that clamp area is the area which needs a thorough inspection. Personally, I've bent these areas open, pushed in a little black RTV and used these ugly (but fully functional) boots for a good while until I was able to purchase replacements. Replacements tend to be a bit "Pricey" and you've got plenty of other things on the agenda that are likely a higher priority.

Just my 2-cents.
    Kurt

k-moe likes this.
  14. hogfiddles

Uh-oh.....looks like measles---

15. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

+1
    Back when replacements were unobtanium the boots got thoroughly cleaned and degreased. Then the black oilresistant RTV was massaged ino the cracks (wear gloves). Finally a skim coat was applied all around the outside of the boots, and smoothed with a wet (gloved) finger.

16. XJ650SECATAY

XJ650SECATAY Member

Thank you for all of your suggestions. I will be trying to make the intake boots last as long as possible (due to the price of new boots), and I will be searching for someone who can repair my gas tank fully.

01/05/17
    Today while we were preparing to start the bike, we took another look at the wiring diagram, and noticed some irregularities (due to confusion on our part). We found that we were missing a diode box, and the starter solenoid. I have been eager to get this bike started, but delays in progress are a natural part of any project. I was able to find both the starter solenoid, and the diode box (previously used on a 1982 xs750 virago, I believe) on ebay from Ride Powersports in west valley:

http://stores.ebay.com/Ride-Powersports

Tomorrow, I will be making final adjustments before we try to start the bike. some of these include: double checking harness connections, checking safety switches (side stand, neutral, clutch), attaching the choke cable, and supplying the fuse box with power, via the harness/positive battery terminal.

Due to the gas tank damage, we will be using a gravity feed drip system that auto mechanics use while doing fuel injection cleanings, to supply gasoline to the carburetors. I hope to have it started by tomorrow!!

(I thought that I should include website URL's/company info whenever I am able to find a part that I need. Here is the URL for Grim Cycle Salvage: http://www.grimcyclesalvage.com ... Shaun, The owner, is INCREDIBLY helpful and knowledgeable, and I have heard that his wife runs their website and ebay store.. I would absolutely recommend taking a look on their website, and if you can't find what your looking for, give them a call!)

Thanks

Attached Files:

Paul Howells likes this.
  17. hogfiddles

We just go to Len Chacal at xj4ever, right at the top of each page.

k-moe likes this.
  18. XJ650SECATAY

XJ650SECATAY Member

That's very helpful, thank you!

19. XJ650SECATAY

XJ650SECATAY Member

01/06/18
    We connected everything that was left, and noticed (via the wiring diagram) that we also needed to connect the oil level and neutral switch switches. On the diagram, the oil level switch is supposed to be a B/R (black/red) wire, and the neutral switch is supposed to be a Sb (sky blue) wire. These colors are correct on the harness, however, we found a white wire connected t the oil level switch and a B/R wire tied into the sub harness that seems to be connected to the neutral switch, with a blue wire next to it (the blue wire was not connected to anything). So we put color to the side, connected the blue wire to the oil level switch and plugged into the B/R on the harness, and the B/R neutral switch wire to the Sb wire used for the neutral switch on the harness (sorry for all of the colors, i imagine that will get confusing).

Watching for smoke, we hooked a jumper battery up to the positive and negative ends of the solenoid, turned the key, and pressed the start button. Nothing happened, except the oil level instrument light came on when I held the start button. I imagine that finding out what is prohibiting the starter from turning over will be a long and tedious process, however, I am open to any helpful suggestions or ideas.

The bike will be stored for now, as I am attending college, so I probably won't have any updates on it for a while!

Thanks!

20. hogfiddles

Did you have the clutch lever pulled in?
    Or
    Were you in neutral?
    Or
    Was your kickstand down?