1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1983 Yamaha Seca 750 Touring

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Thomas Mansfield, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Thomas Mansfield

Thomas Mansfield Member

Picked this guy up today. 1983 Seca 750 Touring bike. It's been sitting for 4 years, but starts right up and the motor sound tight. It has 11k miles on it. Needs some cosmetic help, a tune-up and some newer tires. Going to start with the normal tune-up stuff and make it safe. Then going to work on cosmetic stuff. I'll be lurking and reading a bunch of whatever I can find on this thing. I'm sure I'm going to have some questions, and given it's rarity, it'd be a good idea to keep everything in one place so others can benefit off this thread. Everyone likes pictures so here yah go. 20180225_160222.jpg 20180225_160147.jpg 20180225_162029.jpg 20180225_160213.jpg

2. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

11,000 miles! Bring’er up to snuff and ride another 100,000.
    Definitely worth time and investment there.

Jetfixer likes this.
  3. Ketchup

Ketchup Member

We need the play-by-play on all of it, please. Sweet new ride!

x2 on Simmy's above comment. Plunk the coin - the enjoyment is 100% worth it.

Let's not forget the best XJ parts supplier in the USA right now - http://xj4ever.com/catalog/a-catalog-index.html

Jetfixer likes this.
  4. Thomas Mansfield

Thomas Mansfield Member

My uncle commuted to SF on a 82 Seca 650, the gray one with white/blue decals, and put almost 80k miles on it before it got parked on the side of a house for 15 years. I picked it up to restore it but unfortunately it was to far gone. The engine and tranny were surprisingly in good shape so the clear title, frame and drive-train got sold off to some one to be used for parts. I really liked the style of that bike and always wanted to pick up another one. Fast forward to today and I could not pass up this deal, so here we are. I won't be able to afford the bigger ticket items for awhile (back in college), so for now I will be fixing and refinishing things piece by piece. I really like the looks of the bike and since it's not so common I will be trying to keep it as close to stock as possible. I'll get some better pictures of it up once I start wrenching on it.

wgul and Jetfixer like this.
  5. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Excellent choice for a project.
    There are some links in my signature that are worth your time.

Brakes are more important than anything else, so take care of rebuilding that system first.

Jetfixer likes this.
  6. wgul

wgul Active Member

Mind if I ask what you paid for this beauty? Congrats!

7. Tim O

Tim O Active Member

Love the bike :D:D:D

Mine is the same without all the touring gear... had 9.8K when I found it. You will be very pleased with this bike once she is cleaned out / safe. Lot's of good people and info here.

8. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

T M, welcome to the forum!

That is a great looking bike the the miles, come on, not even broken in yet ;) keep us up to date on your progress and really like the way she looks.

9. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

The plastic bits and touring bags are quite rare. Especially the fabric liner for the bags. If you have those in decent shape, whatever you paid is probably a good deal.

10. joe elliff

joe elliff Active Member

I’m jelly.

11. Thomas Mansfield

Thomas Mansfield Member

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I paid more for my textbooks this semseter than for the bike, plus it came with a brand new battery. I can't wait to start tearing into this thing.

wgul likes this.
  12. k-moe

*then.
    Sorry; had to be done ;)

13. Thomas Mansfield

Thomas Mansfield Member

Common mistake. "Then" is a reference to a change in time. "Than" is used in a comparison. Also, semi-colons are only used when follow by an independent clause. :p

14. k-moe

It also helps to not misread the sentence in question. I could have sworn that you wrote, "I paid for my textbooks this semester, than for the bike."
    Also, typos happen. :)
    Do yourself a favor and finish grad school before you take on a full-time job. I wish that I had.

Dave is going to have a real chuckle at my mistakes (we're both teachers).

15. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Yeah, I was quietly surprised to see the error... Hooray for grammar nerds! I do not feel that autocorrect helps with spelling. If you can't spell with a pen, you can't spell.
    For an amusing read, check out Eats, Shoots and Leaves by Lynne Truss. Funny and angry about punctuation.

MattiThundrrr: putting the "punk" in punctuation!

16. Thomas Mansfield

Thomas Mansfield Member

Spent some time on the bike today. Got the tank off and drained, new battery installed, and found some more stuff to fix. I need some new fuel line. Looks like 5/16 for the fuel line and 1/4 for the vacuum port of the petcock? Need to rebuild the petcock as well. Going to put an inline filter in with the new line. Got my eye on some new tires (Dunlop d404 or Shinko 230 touring tire) that should be coming soon. Progress. It was about 78 degrees today with crystal clear air. Perfect day for a ride.

17. Chitwood

Chitwood Well-Known Member

Rub it in why don't ya...haha. 30 something and wet heavy snow here

18. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

+1 on the snow thing! 78 would be so nice!

As for working on the bike, way to go. Yes I think you are correct with your guess on your fuel line size, that is what I used. I think you can rub some Mystery oil on that aluminum engine parts and it might help clean them up a bit. I know some people also use the soda blaster method to clean up engines that have that look. You might have your own method :) Make sure you check the brake system and see if you have nasty brown (or worse) in your clutch and brake masters.

19. Thomas Mansfield

Thomas Mansfield Member

Yeah, we are a bit spoiled over here in CA. I wouldn't mind an actual winter though. So, 5/16 worked for the fuel line, but the vacuum line was closer to 3/16" than 1/4" (I'm wondering if the OEM I.D for the hoses is metric?). Got the fuel tank cleaned out, refilled with new gas, new fuel lines on and a Rotella T4 oil change. It starts right up, but seems to have some problems with the idle circuit. The choke was very sensitive to idle speed in a very short range, plus even after it was warmed up it wouldn't hold an idle with the choke off. I'm hoping it's just junk that will clear up after putting some miles on it. The engine had some noise to it that sounded like valvetrain or an exhaust gasket leak, but went away almost completely once it warmed up. Exhaust had zero smoke in it and it rev'd up fine. The bike came with the black box in the picture. I'm not sure what it is so maybe one of you guys can identify it for me. Also, here's a quick video of it running so you can hear the noise.

Hoping to get this thing on the road by the end of May.

20180310_150221.jpg 20180310_150231.jpg

Dadoseven likes this.
  20. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

T M, I think you will find that you will need to take the carbs to Church. I do hope they clean up for you as she is running but I have never found that to be the case with these bikes. There is a great thread to follow and the parts would come from Len from the link on the t0p right of the page.

That sure is a nice looking bike hope that it really runs and rides well.

k-moe likes this.