1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1983 Yamaha Seca 750 Touring

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Thomas Mansfield, Feb 25, 2018.

1. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Ummm....everything on the bike is metric (except the speedometer).

As for the idle, running the engine ain't gonna fix it.
    IN THE CHURCH OF CLEAN
    Replacing your Hitachi throttle shaft seals
    Setting the fuel levels

The sound is probably an exhaust leak, and the valves sound almost too quiet to my ear.
    Bigfitz's AIRHEAD VALVE ADJUSTMENT with Pics - parts I & II
    You probably also hear the alternator whine, and that's normal.

The box is a voltage regulator, though I cannot say from what.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  2. Thomas Mansfield

Thomas Mansfield Member

Thanks, yeah I'm hoping it will too!

Right after I turned my computer off I remembered it was a Japanese bike and that everything was likely metric. I work on Jeep's a lot and they tend to use whatever was on the shelf (metric and american) so that's stuck in my head for most things I work on. I've taken many carbs to church (did my old Seca 650 carbs as well) so I know how much time that's going to take, which I won't have until summer. Thanks for the links, those will be handy once I can tear it down. It looks like the voltage regulator that's currently on the bike is a used replacement so I'm going to test it to make sure it's working correctly.

k-moe and Timbox like this.
  3. Kristopher Litschel

Kristopher Litschel New Member

This is the only other touring bike I have ever seen. Other than mine. Do her up. I recommend doing the fuse box conversion first, otherwise you'll have electrical gremlins for days.

Attached Files:

4. Thomas Mansfield

Thomas Mansfield Member

I'll look into that, thanks. That's a great looking bike you have, really like the paint job on it (not factory paint I'm assuming). Funny you say it's the only other touring bike you've seen. I haven't seen one since seeing this one on craigslist and it does seem they are rare, but by some crazy coincidence there is another xj750 touring bike in the same town as me that looks pretty much identical to mine for sale for $1,500 that is in pretty good shape. If i had the cash I would've just bought that one instead.

5. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

The touring package became optional in the '82 model year, and fully replaced the standard Seca 750 for '83.
    The real rarity is finding one with undamaged bodywork; particularly the lower front fairings.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
    Thomas Mansfield likes this.
  6. Kristopher Litschel

Kristopher Litschel New Member

That is absolutely factory paint. It seems to have a funky 2 tone option. I'm going to wind up repainting it soon. I like a little bit more gloss. I also have to repair all the damage. As the other guy said, undamaged lower fairings are rare. I'm building metal inserts, and fibreglassing them all together.

7. Dadoseven

Dadoseven Active Member

Very nice find! I have an 82 that is nearly the same, as pictured in my avatar. Keep the updates coming.

8. RCHER

RCHER New Member

I love the lines on that bike. I'll bet it is a great touring bike.

9. Thomas Mansfield

Thomas Mansfield Member

Little update. Got the brake calipers off and soaking some pb blaster on the pistons. One piston is corroded a bit on the outside but I'm going to try to reuse both, otherwise I'll pick up a couple new ones from HVC cycle. I am shopping around for new brake lines for this thing. What have you guys used? I'm on a fairly tight budget and have thought about using the universal braided lines from Dennis Kirk and just get them as close to the stock lengths as possible. Also, since I have it all apart, does anyone recommend changing the MC over to a bar mounted one?

I also took the front fairing off to find that a P.o. had butchered the harness due to a main connector issue (the big one going to the fairing). Probably going to find a new connector for both the fairing and harness and bring it back to stock wiring set-up.

10. Scottie1

Scottie1 Active Member

hi Jelly im scottie :eek:)

11. Dadoseven

Dadoseven Active Member

I replaced my brake lines from Chacal here @XJ4Ever. Already to length with the proper angles already on the banjo fittings. IMO, the only ones that you should replace with. From the catalog
    NOTE: our lines are the ONLY fully DOT approved brake hoses on the market.”
    The others may have DOT approved components, but not as an assembly. The custom fit is a bonus. I would not necessarily suggest changing the Master Cylinder to a bar mounted one. You will need to remove the bar covers. I don't know, maybe you would prefer that.?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  12. Thomas Mansfield

Thomas Mansfield Member

Well, I think plans are changing for the Seca. As much as I want to see this on the road I think I may have to sell it. The direction I am going in school and once back in the workforce is towards the electric vehicle industry. I want to convert something to electric as my "senior project" and to have on my resume and had planned on converting my Jeepster. After figuring the time/cost it would take for the Jeepster, I realized a motorcycle would be a much more realistic option. I don't want to tear the seca apart and have to deal with the shaft drive so I will likely pick up a chain drive basket case of a bike to start with. If I keep the bike it will end up on the back burner for who knows how many years. I will complete the brake caliper rebuild that I've started but then it will be up for sale. I'm not competely against parting it out, but I'd have to have most of the parts spoken for first. If any of you guys are interested let me know. I would like for it to have a new home by late July.

13. Thomas Mansfield

Thomas Mansfield Member

The bike has been taken off the market and will be staying in the family. Part of that deal is that I have to get it to ~100% mechanically and will have access to it whenever I want basically.

Got the brake calipers rebuilt and system bled. I know bleeding the brakes on these things can be a chore so I'll share what I did to bleed them.
    1. Filled mc.
    2. Put 4-5ft of clear tubing on each AD bleeder and had them pointed vertical, opened bleeders and cycled the lever many times while refilling the mc. Nothing came out at first, but then fluid started flowing consistently. Stopped once I didn't see any bubbles come out.
    3. Repeated step 2 with the calipers.
    4. Tapped all the brake components to free up any stuck bubbles.
    5. Repeated steps 2 and 3. Not many bubbles came out so it was quick.

Took the bike for It's first ride on our private road. Brake pads have plenty of life but could be upgraded/updated. Rear brake worked great. Gears/clutch all felt good. Bike ran suprisingly well but still had to have the choke on slightly to idle. Will tackle the carb rebuild in July.

Next on the short list is clean up wiring, tires, and take it off non-op.

Dadoseven and k-moe like this.