1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1984 BMW K100RT? Thinking about it...

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by Timbox, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Yes it popped up kinda in my area and it is FI, so I think I am biting. It will be stripped down a bit as I have my 07 Bandit 1250 for nice long rides, so the K100 would be for town trips and such. Can you tell I am trying to talk myself into it.

Bad note is that I might have to get another bonded title! I see so many "lost title", "looking for title", or other title issues drives a person to wrench ;)

Anyone here ever had a K100RT? If so any words for wisdom for me?

Tim

2. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

something like this
    [​IMG]

Franz likes this.
  3. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Yes something much like that but not in such good shape or shiny ;) I have been doing a little reading and see the rear spindle is a weak point that should be addressed before buying one? I guess rebuilding the spindle is around $1K if it is in bad shape. I would hate to put that much into just one area of the bike. I know my 1200 Madura had issues with the spindle too, but that spindle is a beast and had no issues. I have worked on so many carb bikes I just feel it is time for a old FI bike.

So how to you like your K100RT? Looks like it might have a little leak, is that a common thing? I would have it stripped down as the PO does not have the parts. Here is the add and some pics, trying to get a hold of seller but no reply so far.
    https://duluth.craigslist.org/mcy/d/bmw-k100rt-project-bike/6477397214.html

4. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

yes driveshafts are a weak point caused by lack of maintenance, keep them greased and they last forever. it's not hard to do but you know how maintenance goes.
    1000$ sounds like new parts.
    the leak isn't really a leak, the piston rings are free to spin in their grooves, sometimes they align on the lower part of the horizontal cyl and oil will seep through the end gap.
    and find it's way to the exhaust valve and drip from the header/head joint. that pad you see is probably two years old.
    the FI system is called a open loop, no O sensor. the throttle hiccup is most likely the grip itself, it's a 90 deg. gear thing that seems odd. the clutch is dry like a car and the cable lifts the side stand when pulled, has to be adjusted just right.
    under the engine you'll see a bell housing, a weep hole is cast in it, if oil is present the rear main seal is going. lots of bolts, easy job.
    wheels are soft, don't hit a big square edge pothole. xj's use a lot of 6mm bolts that uses 8 and 10mm, it's built like a tank. rides like a cloud, the engine seems like a electric motor, no bogs no peaks just smooth power. the shifter is like a precision instrument. top end is determined by how tight you can hold on.
    fuel pump is inside the tank, not fun.
    speedo is intermittent on most of them, no real fix. i use a bicycle speedo

NEEDtoRIDE likes this.
  5. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Polock,
    Thanks for all the info. I have to say I thought sense it was already missing many parts to keep it naked. I see the 78K miles is really no big deal, but the other issues are. It is 3.5 hrs one way from me and the seller still has not contacted me. I would guess it will not come home to my cycle shed, but I can still dream.

I was also reading the older K100's had 16v heads in them, that would be nice.

This just in...look at this add and give me some feedback pls.
    https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/mcy/d/1987-bmw-k100/6495378281.html

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  6. Chitwood

Chitwood Well-Known Member

Might be worth a shot in my opinion

7. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

go for that one, i think it's a RS. the windshield is off or something, that's a common mod. they say it gets real hot in the summer, i just use a deflector held on with Velcro.
    muffler isn't stock, the pipes are SS, those are the RS bars, lower than RT. i think they swap with the same cables. if it sat that long with gas in it the fuel pump might need looking at. there's a mod to put a 80's mustang pump in it, cheap fix.

8. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Made the call tonight, on the road in the morning. If all works out and I hope it does, will have a new bike in the stable. Looks like I will get the 87 K100RS with everything for a good price, just hope it is as good as current owner says. Never got to see the right side of the bike as it was not in the add. Update with pics I hope in a day or so.

Plug and Chitwood like this.
  9. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Well it did not happen, always get pics of all sides of the bike before you leave your driveway. Once of those too good to be true, but had to try. There will be others.

10. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Seller came through with the pics and then met me at a great price. 165 miles one way with high wind but I have her in the shed. Battery being charged and then I will go through it if it gets warmer. I was able to get another batter in her and plug the ECU/CDI in. All things seem to work and I even touched the starter, she turned over....
    [​IMG]20180218_155220[1] by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    [​IMG]20180218_155240[1] by Tim Brown, on Flickr

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
    Franz likes this.
  11. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

very nice
    i hope you have the mirrors, their like gold

12. Xjrider92117

Xjrider92117 Active Member

That looks like a very nice and fast bike!

13. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Yes I pulled the side covers and anything else that would blow off the bike on the 165 mile trip. The wind was nasty here yesterday, really strong gusts. One mirror is in tact the other I think is missing the glass :(

When I get a chance testing the fuel pump, pulling and cleaning the FI's and checking the air cleaner. I drained the fuel when I got her home, Varnish smelling but not too bad. I would guess the FI's will really need to be cleaned, have done it a few times so hope it works. Nice to have it on the side of the engine compared to having to yank the TB's off the bike and work from there. Just hope she has spark and fires.

I have to work on the seat as well, the hinge on the front I think should go to the frame, well it is broken and not working, so that will take some looking into.

14. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

the glass shouldn't be too bad, putting the mirrors back on gave me fits, the springy things didn't cooperate. grease and a big smack finally worked.
    do you have a book? your going to need one if you get into it very far, i can scan you some pages to get you started.
    put oil and gas in it, i bet it starts :)
    side stand goes up with the clutch lever? that amazes people

15. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Say whaaaaaaaaaat?

16. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Got to the fuel rail today, well took some time and a lot of PB blaster. I also pulled the very large fuel cap off to take a look inside. No rust but OMG varnish like I have never seen before. I will have to get a couple gallons of white vinegar and get it cleaned out. I would guess the fuel pump and the fuel system will be the big issue, all else should be like most other bikes.

No I do not plan on getting "too" into it unless I have to. I would like to get it running for some spring riding and see how I feel about it. I am hoping this will be a great bike and really good MPG, I am thinking close to 60.

Look at this nice tank:
    [​IMG]20180219_162726[1] by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    [​IMG]20180219_162740[1] by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    [​IMG]20180219_162750[1] by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    [​IMG]20180219_162805[1] by Tim Brown, on Flickr

17. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Did a little bit of work on the fuel system today. Got the tank off and started to clean it up. Rags to soak up the nasty gas, compressed air to get things dried out and moved around. Then the wet dry vac to try to get that gunk out. The tank is in good shape but the fuel pump and the sensor inside is, well toast.
    [​IMG]20180220_151451[1] by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    This is the hole the pump fits into...with a gasket and a screen...all toast.
    [​IMG]20180220_154416[1] by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    I have the injectors in the sonic cleaner, will keep heating up the mixture and hitting it for rounds of 5 mins at a time. I have a feeling that they are toast too, but you never know.
    Gas tank is in the basement with 3 gals of white vinegar in it. hope to get some good results in a few days. I have heard up to two weeks and sense there is lots of ice and snow here in WI that is just fine.

18. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

19. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Polock,

Yes it did and hope to save some money that way. After the ten yrs of sitting around that tank and the injectors are a mess. I had the injectors in the heated sonic cleaner for a long time. Kept hitting them with 9v about every 15 mins of running. Finally they all came free and now I get to try to run some cleaner threw them. The vinegar in the tank is doing well, no real rust to speak of besides the "low fuel arm" is not in good shape. It did come free on it's own when I was rocking the tank. Looks like the vinegar is doing it's job but I might have to hit it with some acetone to really clean the inside. Unlike a lot of the other metric bikes, these gas tanks don't have the deep lip under the gas cap on the inside of the tank. They are flat, that really helps when you tip it over and try to get liquid and all the junk out of the top. On the flip side of that, with no bottom hole that can be a pain when it come to all the little left over fuel, liquid and bits. I do like how you can just put your hand right down inside there with the fuel cap taken off.

Parts are on order now waiting for them in the mail as my small town stores don't have much. That 5/16 submersible fuel line is not cheap! Had to get two feet of it as I think I will have to use it on the FEP to shim it into the vibration holder.

Not too sure if I have to get new "O" rings for the FI's, the rings look really good. I hit them with BP blaster before moving them at all. Removing them I keep looking to see if there were any cracks in them and I didn't see any. I even had my glasses on ;) so here is hoping. If there is a gas leak, they are easy to get at and much easier pulling out and off then carbs and those carb to air filter boots! Not hacking too much just saying it is nicer to have them right there on the side of the engine.

20. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Was able to get a few hrs in on the old BRICK. Changed out the brake fluid front and brake, hypo oil in the final drive, made sure that the injectors were all cleaned out. I was able to hook a can of B12 to a rubber hose then to the injector. They were firing and the junk that came out of each was nasty, but they did clean up nice.

Also put all the plugs in the boots and was able to turn her over and make sure there was spark on all four. We have spark so not just waiting on all the fuel related items to come in. The old fuel pump will be going into the sonic cleaner tonight just in case I can get it going again. Those BMW pumps are costly.