1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1984 BMW K100RT? Thinking about it...

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by Timbox, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

on the wrong way or going the wrong way? :)

2. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Ya, the guy was pulling my leg or trying to give me good lol, the tire is fine, but it might be out of balance. I still think there is something with those fork gators going into the bottom of the faring though, they seem to maybe be hindering movement in the turning department. I would guess it is there just to keep the wind and the rain from crawling up into the tank area and then to the rider.

With a few more days of nice weather I will take her out for a longer shakedown ride.

3. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Final paper work in the mail, that is the Bond ($100) for the new Wisconsin Title. That should take another week or so. I am not planning on riding anytime soon, they are calling for up to 9" of snow in my area tonight...what the heck.

Tried to get the seat welded on, will have to take it all off again as it didn't work and will not line up. One of the great ideas a person gave me was to weld a threaded coupler to the frame and then use the bolt to hold the seat to the frame! I will be doing that this time around. Need to re-supply on gas for the welder and then get back to it. Hope to have the bike road ready by the time the title gets back and the snow melts...that could be June sometime.. After the seat I need to get to changing out the fork oil..I am sure that will smell nasty. For some reason that old nasty fork oil is one of those smells I don't like. Has to be done though...to the old girl.

4. kerriskandiesinc

kerriskandiesinc Active Member

Police in UK used to use the K100 brick, and to a lesser extent the 750, in the , early 90's i believe the 750 was the more 'coveted' bike....smoother??

Quite a few Bike couriers used the bricks also, pretty bloody reliable, never heard of one with shaft problems, some I saw got to 200K miles+, Local police used an unmarked K100RS as a 'Pursuit' bike for a while, early 90's.......still couldn't overhaul my Kawasaki Gpz900R ;)

Timbox likes this.
  5. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Just thought I would share, we got 9" of snow over the last 24 hrs! Yes SPRING is here...lol, time to get to snow moving. This had better be the last time I move this much snow for the 2017 season...lol

kerriskandiesinc likes this.
  6. kerriskandiesinc

Only 4" here, don't feel so bad now!!!

7. kosel

kosel Active Member Premium Member

Another 4-6 on it's way here.

8. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Got the bonded title in the mail yesterday, so the bike is almost ready for the road. I just dropped off the front tire, it was not holding air and also not balanced. When I took the tire off the axle grease was clean but really thick stuff. That will be cleaned off and high temp bearing grease put in there instead.

New mirrors came in so tapped the holes on the bar controls for 8.1.25mm and got them in place. Nice to have mirrors that you can see past your shoulders and be safe.

9. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Got the tire back, good news bad news. The rim needed to be cleaned as well as the tire mounting surface, dirt, rust the normal stuff. The shop did say the rim my have a small bend in it :( Not visible to the eye but the balancing machine said so. They put some bead sealer on the rim and balanced tire/rim. Once we get past this wonderful late winter storm here in Wisconsin (up to 9" they say) I will button her back up and give her a test ride.

10. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Got the mirrors in and on. The weather is breaking here and I have have had the KLR out twice!!! Just like that bike for sand and possible ice and dirt on the roads that have not been washed off by a good rain. Here are a few pics of the mirrors on the BMW...and by the way, it ended up being a 1987 RS model.
    [​IMG]20180416_155616[1] by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    [​IMG]20180416_155606[1] by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    [​IMG]20180416_155552[1] by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    For those that are wondering, the OEM mirrors and turn signals are integrated and "snap" into the fairing. The "slap" tends to make the OEM mirrors fall off while driving.

11. kerriskandiesinc

Wait till those notorious narrow bars start doing your shoulders in !!! ;)

12. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

This was a project bike to keep my sanity over the winter months. As of this weekend she found a new home. Nice guy and his buddy that are building a stable of rides. I sure learned a lot about the FI system and about rebuilding and replacing the fuel system on the BMW. That would be my only advice about the older BMW's check the tank and then if you can check the rear spindle. Besides that, more or less bulletproof.

MattiThundrrr likes this.
  13. remo

remo Member

I am helping a buddy revamp a k100 as well brushes need replaced on starter but i got no lights or signs of life when i hooked up a battery to her. I need a wiring diagram if anyone can help !

14. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

i could scan one for you but there's early models and late models. what year is it?