1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1985 XJ700X Carburetor Adjustment

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Medici, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Medici

Medici Member

Howdy guys, we're still kicking the tires of this bike as my free time is dwindling but at any rate it's better now than when I bought it. Anyways, my problem with the carburetors persists. I'm looking for really a small piece of information concerning carburetor syncs and I simply need to now how many turns to turn out the mixture screw before I run my synch. Any and all info is appreciated.

Medici

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

2 1/2 tuns out from a soft seat is baseline, then you need to either color tune, or ride it and read the plugs. If you have to read the plugs, the you can synchronize first, then re-synch after you get the idle mixture set.

3. Medici

Medici Member

I'm having little success this time around. I successfully ran a synch earlier this summer but it sat while I was working on my brakes. Now It's all out of whack again. I went to turn my screws out 2 1/2 turns each and last time that fixed it right up, but if anything my continuous adjustment feels as though it's exacerbating my issue or making it worse. My problem is that my idle is sitting really low, my throttle response is very slow and laggy, and I cannot seem to get the bike to start without considerable convincing.

4. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Just wondering of you have a vacuum leak someplace? I would suggest that you take some mystery oil on a "Q" tip and soak your throttle seals. This is not a fix but it will show you if they have a vacuum leak or not. I did this on my FJ1200 and it worked well enough to isolate the problem. Both sides of each carb and let it soak in a bit, not a fix but it does help.

5. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

Did you try doing another synch before adjusting the air/ fuel mixture?
    It doesn't seem likely that the synch would change, but if you adjusted the mix again, then you need to re-synch.
    Valve clearances in spec?