1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

7 week XJ750

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Chops, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Chops

Chops New Member

Right, here goes. The Machine Show (show for 25 year and older bikes in New South Wales) is on the weekend of March 24 and I’m meant to be riding there from Newstead Victoria. My recently acquired XJ750 Seca hasn’t run in about 10 years.
    So far I’ve stripped and cleaned carbs and am now waiting for rebuild kits.
    I’m doing an Atari delete, fitting a round headlight (original housing broken) quick re-wire to sort out rats nest of wires, go through brakes then ride jump on and ride 1200km in a long weekend.
    This is my first XJ so expect a lot of questions.

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

expect a lot of answers best of luck

3. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Valve clearance check, new brake lines, new tires, rear brake shoes, fuse box upgrade, new battery, and obviously oil change for the engine and rear end.

Jetfixer, cgutz and Chitwood like this.
  4. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

a big pillow for your butt

Scottie1 likes this.
  5. Chops

Chops New Member

Just removed the Atari dash, stock headlight and fog light, fuel tank, and got the wiring harness out and unwrapped, found a bunch of rubbed through wires and bad repairs. This explains why it had no indicators, brake light etc.
    My plan is to seperate the ignition/charging/engine bits of the loom so it’s a super loom that just makes the bike run and charge. Then add a loom that does lights.

6. Bushy

Bushy Active Member

Clean and new seals in the whole front brake system , braided lines too. No good if it goes but can't stop when you want it to. ...10 years sitting is in need of a lot of checking 'n maintaining 'n fixing.

Chops likes this.
  7. Chops

Chops New Member

Found a heap of dodgy repairs in the original wiring. Doing a stripped down minimal loom.
    Removed old brake lines so I can take them in to brake shop to get replacements.
    Carby kits arrived from XJ4Ever today, so will get stuck in to them tomorrow. New headlight also arrived, and my new Bell Moto-3 helmet, it was a damn good mail day!
    By the end of this weekend should have wiring done, carbs rebuilt and be on to fixing brakes

Jetfixer likes this.
  8. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

minimum wiring info eQNlgxq.jpg m1csRY7.jpg

9. Chops

Chops New Member

Thanks heaps. I have pretty much wired it up off the black and white wiring diagram, will get it finished on the weekend

10. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Welcome to an addicting web site. One suggestion unless you've already done it. Rebuild the calipers while doing the brake lines , you either use comressed air or a grease gun method to push the piston out ..when I did lines on my seca the internal seals were rock hard. Good luck with your project .

Chops likes this.
  11. Chops

Chops New Member

I finished cleaning and rebuilding carbs yesterday, I have a mate that’s an auto-electrician that’s going to finish the wiring next weekend. Starting the brake rebuild this week. Fingers crossed calipers aren’t rusty and just need seals. Brake lines are getting built to suit at local brake shop.

12. Chops

Chops New Member

So Yamaha Australia still stock brake caliper rebuild kits!!! I got the calipers rebuilt last night, started cleaning the crud out of the fuel tank, mounted new clutch lever.
    I’m still waiting on parts to arrive from all over the place which is holding me up a bit.
    Today I’m going to get the new headlight mounted and get into the rear brakes.

13. Chops

Chops New Member

No updates since February 11 because I suck at Internet forums.
    Heaps of progress, completed the minimal re-wire, then wired up lights, speedo, idiot lights etc. after a bum steer on the front master cylinder and buying the wrong size I’ve now got a 19mm bore master off of a 2005 GSXR1100. The remote reservoir is easily the sportiest part of the bike. Put a kit in the carbs and got them sorted. Initially the throttle hung open, but after finding correct cable routing in another post I solved that problem.
    I took it for it’s maiden ride down my street a couple days ago. Still got some tuning to do on the carbs, and having a few problems getting all the air out of the brakes but all in all it’s well on it’s way.
    9 days until I head off on a 1200km ride....

14. cruiserlover

cruiserlover Active Member

xj4ever had had everything I need.Without him much of the resurrection of these bikes would be near impossible

15. Chops

Chops New Member

Did a 100km test ride today. It works. I’m off on my 1200 or so kilometre ride next weekend.
    Are any of the other Aussies heading to The Machine Show?

16. Chops

Chops New Member

Road side photo op.

Attached Files:

Jetfixer likes this.