1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

81 xj650 to r6 engine swap

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by toyolla86, Mar 19, 2014.

1. toyolla86

toyolla86 New Member

I found a later model r6 engine for 200 with most of the parameters (ecu, fuel pump, chain, headers, etc.

just wondering if anyone has seen this swap before. it would be awesome if i didnt have to pave my own path.

however, be advised I AM TOTALLY WILLING TO PAVE THE WAY TO THIS SWAP. !!! in other words, no nay-sayers please.

fab work is right up my alley.

i have been thinking about the chain/back wheel problem.
    as well as the back disc brake conversion.
    and of course making sure the engine isnt too big to fit in our little frames.

anyone have any thoughts as to what else i am going to run in to.

i am planning on using an out of tank fuel pump as these engines used an in-tank pump. although i thought i read somewhere that the stock r6 fuel pump is actually cooled by the fuel flowing through it and not by being submerged in fuel.

so all thoughtful input is welcomed.

oh yeah, this is my first post. hello everyone :D

2. mtnbikecrazy55

mtnbikecrazy55 Active Member

Welcome, Whatever you do, post lots of pictures along the way!

3. toyolla86

toyolla86 New Member

oh of course. i will be assessing it once i see the engine and take measurements. it may not even be possible. we'll see.

i just think it would be sick to have a bobber with a crotch rocket engine

4. ChrisRomello

ChrisRomello Member

I would suggest getting either a different rear wheel or getting a whole rear end from an r1 or r6 and fabbing it to the xj frame. You would have to fabricate a mono-shock mount and a pivot for the swing arm but It would eliminate the rear wheel problem and you would get your rear disc brakes.

5. xHondaHack

xHondaHack Active Member Premium Member

Welcome aboard toyolla86.

Interesting thoughts on the creative use of the R6 setup.

You may find some helpful advise on another members challenges he had swapping in a Maxim X engine into a Seca 650:

http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=4 ... a+650.html

Most notably, the cooling system will be a huge hurdle to overcome. Using a Maxim X as a starting point, instead of and air-cooled XJ model, might make things less of a challenge. Then again, if you've ever ridden an X, you may not even bother with a swap.

Personally, I'd make a sick go-cart out of what you have. Check this out:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dZmroqr8yI

6. toyolla86

toyolla86 New Member

thanks for all your input everyone. its 5 am and i have to go to work. so this is all i can say. later.

7. cutlass79500

cutlass79500 Well-Known Member

You have your work cut out for sure. I think your gonna have some problems fitting it in the frame. The motor is much thinner then an xj even if you get it in pipe spacing could be a problem. The f.i points up . Radiator hoses come out where the frame is. Of coarse since it is made to be part of the frame you could use just your backbone and fab a whole new bottom frame. Radiator clearance to front wheel another hurdle to overcome. Fuel pump swing arm wheel and gauges will be another since they are all electric. Hopefully you will get the wire harness all sensors and ecu. Swing arm and wheel are gonna be rough shaft drive has a wide spacing where it mounts because of the drive shaft housing being 1 side of the swing arm. Just try to think of any problems your gonna have and work them all out before you start Good luck

8. toyolla86

toyolla86 New Member

thanks cutlass. i havent seen the engine so im not quite sure about the angle and everything. this is why im tapping you guys. good stuff.

it will come with ECU, harness, chain, and a few other things. like maybe some brake parts.

heres what im thinking so far.
    -rear swingarm and wheel from a cb500-cb750. which keeps my suspension dual spring instead of crotch rocket single type.

-the sprocket:chain ratio i have not figured out yet. if i have to I will get the r6 rear sprocket and have it drilled to bolt up to my new rear wheel. so that the chain mates up with the sprocket correctly. and ill just take links out of the chain as needed.

-FI, still havent figured out

-radiator, thinking maybe ill find a smaller one if i have to. and mount it as high as possible. but it'll be over the exhaust which is not good due to the radiant heat. also didnt think about where the coolant hoses come out. really hope that doesnt pose a problem. maybe ill do a side mount radiator.

-exhaust pipes, i have stock ones. will just modify if they are hitting frame.

-gauges, i will keep my front tire and mech speedo. the tach i will wire up an aftermarket one.

please keep the feedback coming. I am going to check the engine out this week hopefully.

oh yeah, i fixed my bike today. lesson learned: when making homemade parts make sure they're electrically safe. LOL. also fixed my eBay throttle cable which was too long with a Bic pen. i love backyard ingenuity.

9. toyolla86

toyolla86 New Member

i just realized that the swing arm may be too wide or too narrow.

I am thinking i can cut a section out to make it a little more narrow, but idk about making it wider. that's gonna take a little more work. gotta find out how that part is made.

10. Darrinwill1991

Darrinwill1991 New Member

What other engines can go into a 81 maxim 650 frame. I tried to look it up but nothing pops up.

11. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Welcome ...hmm you will have your work cut out ,but anything is possible it helps if you have a motorcycle salvage facility close by that will let you take measurements to figure out if something fits or not. One caveat you should remember any changes that are made to the swing arm safety for you riding is number 1 you have to ensure alignment of wheel is parallel to the front wheel this may sound strange but it can make for a harry riding bike , this why a bent frame is usually totaled by insurance companies. Slotting a swing arm is not always straight forward since the bike is shaft drive , you might get away with a XJ550 Swing arm which is chain drive and using the 550 wheels .

12. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

an xj 750 motor can be put into the 650 frame.
    what you need to do is listed in the information overload motor mounts into frame with a few part changes
    The Information Overload Hour