1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

'81 Yamaha XJ650 Maxim - Replacing the shift return spring

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by motorjoe650, Oct 1, 2010.

1. motorjoe650

motorjoe650 Member

I own a 1981 Yamaha XJ650 Maxim that I have been riding for a number of years. Recently the shifter lever stopped springing back into the "neutral" or "middle" position between shifting. It would stay down after being pressed down and you would have to physically move the lever back up again to make the bike shift down again. This was caused by the shift return spring breaking. I'm writing this post to show others with this problem how to fix it. I was assisted in this project by one of the users on this site: Robert.

Parts needed:
    SPRING W/ COLLAR: SKU: 99999-01179-00
    OIL SEAL (SD 12-22-5 HS): SKU: 93102-12321-00
    GASKET, COVER CASES: SKU: 4BB-15451-00-00

Instructions (Courtesy user Robert):

The shift centralizing spring is located under the left cover, access is very straight forward. A new gasket and shifter seal should be obtained in advance as preventitive maintenance. You will need to remove the shifter (make sure you mark your shaft/lever alignment or you will make more work for yourself later. At this point I would lay the bike on it's right side if you don't want to do an oil change or have to top off from oil loss. Then remove all of the shifter cover bolts, keeping them in order from the holes they come out of. Remove the cover and have a rag ready to catch any oil that leaks out. You will see the shifting shaft assembly (forward assembly) and the shift lever assembly (the rearward assembly. Their alignment to each other is critical so mark them (if they aren't already, they might have dimples on their faces for this purpose). Pull the lever assembly out slowly, note that the shaft assembly has the centralizing spring on it and you should be mindful of how it is fitted and clocked (the spring most likely will be in pieces). Swap out the spring and reassemble the bike. Stand her upright and check your oil level, service as needed.

For the pictures start at the bottom and work your way up, didn't know it would upload them backwards like this. Hope this helps anyone with this problem. If anyone has any additional info to add please comment!

Attached Files:

2. Robert

Robert Active Member

Excellent write-up Motorjoe!

3. quikcobra

quikcobra Member

Nice write up tobad its not chain drive.

4. motorjoe650

motorjoe650 Member

5. Hasersys

Hasersys Member

Nice, I have gotten to the part of my project where it is time to replace my spring. There is a sealent around the case. It isn't coming off, and I am afraid to pry it out. I do not want to crack the case. Any suggestions on how to remove the cover?

6. Hasersys

Hasersys Member

Oh and very nice post.

7. Orange-n-Black

Orange-n-Black Well-Known Member

Re: '81 Yamaha XJ650 Maxim - Replacing the shift return spri

After looking at the pics again, it seems to me that these bikes could be converted to chain or belt drive with some machining and a custom made sprocket/pulley. Probably would cost more than the bike is worth tho, plus a new swing arm too.

8. motorjoe650

motorjoe650 Member

Hasersys,

Sorry i didn't respond to your post right away. I've been away from this site for quite a while. That seal your talking about definitely needs to be replaced. It has a metal band in the inside which, when it's 25 years old as mine was, is a pain in the butt to take out. I used a pair of needle nose pliers to pry some of the rubber away until i could grip the metal ring on the interior of the seal. Once i could do that i was able to bend and remove the entire seal. I don't think you need to worry about cracking the case cover. Just be careful not to scratch it up. Good luck!

9. Hasersys

Hasersys Member

Re: '81 Yamaha XJ650 Maxim - Replacing the shift return spri

Oh thanks. I got it all replaced a while ago now. It all worked out. I replaced every thing.

10. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

The mechanism on the chain-driven bikes (550/600) is very similar, it's just hiding in a different spot. On those bikes, the shift shaft crosses over to the right side of the bike and the shifter mechanism is located behind the clutch.

11. Ben Borich

Ben Borich New Member

The mechanism on the chain-driven bikes (550/600) is very similar, it's just hiding in a different spot. On those bikes, the shift shaft crosses over to the right side of the bike and the shifter mechanism is located behind the clutch.

bigfitz52 - I presume then that the right side cover needs to be removed to access the mechanism on chain driven bikes?