1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

82’ XJ750, air box removal

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Mike66, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Mike66

Mike66 New Member

I was told that if you want to remove the original air box and instal individual cone/pod filters, I’ll need to rejet the carbs. How do I go about this, what do I need to order? Any and all recommendations are appreciated.

2. Chitwood

Chitwood Well-Known Member

There is no magic formula for this. Biggest advice I can offer is to remove the airbox without damaging it so you can put it back in when you've had enough of taking the carbs on and off the bike, flat spots in the power band, etc. Go to xj4ever website and read through the fuel system thread. It will give you a rough idea of where to start. Good luck to you. I know there's others that have done it successfully but even they will tell you it didn't come easily.

Mike66 likes this.
  3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

recommendation
    1 dont do it remain stock bike will run much better
    2 buy slide carbs $1500 if you want to run pods
    3 do not destroy the air box when removing you will need to remove carbs starter undo front motor mounts and a little heat on plastic helps get it out
    4 save air box for future reinstall.
    5 do not buy cheap $20 pods get the k&n pods $$$

so the first thing you want to do is get the bike in proper running order valve shim check, full rebuild of carbs replace all o rings throttle shaft seals and complete cleaning of all passages and jets, sync carbs and adjust mixture screws. this is so you do not chase your tail when you go pods.

in this link you will find an explanation of how to rejet based on your changes. that will put you at a good place to start with the jets
    The Information Overload Hour

this link is how to complete the carb tuning process
    http://www.factorypro.com/tech_tuning_procedures/tuning_carbtune,CV,high_rpm_engines.html

there are carb kits for pods who offer tech support

Mike66 likes this.
  4. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

One simple suggestion from me would be to invest in decent (not cheap chinese) filters, make sure there is, or you can form, a decent radius, on the inside edge. Then go to a reputable dyno centre to set the jetting. Should cost a couple of hundred dollars plus the filters themselves.
    Cheaper than a set of flatslides, which btw you will also need to set up on the dyno.
    Do not try to do this yourself without sufficient knowledge and at least a wideband lambda exhaust centre.
    It's doable, just not easy or especially cheap.

Mike66 likes this.
  5. sybe

sybe Active Member

I run pods with a jet kit. Its not easy. There is a lot of tinkering and tweaking needle shims, jets, air flow, and fuel levels. What works perfect today, will give you a different result tomorrow. Nothing major, but you can feel it.

If you like to tinker like me, then go for it. Be prepared for the amount of labor involved. If you want easy and to just ride keep the airbox.

Slide carbs are great but they have their own faults. If you want to run pods still great... read up on it, check out other sites and invest in filter wraps. Filter wraps go over the pods to help filter out debri amd water when it rains. Outterwear is one manufacturer.

And you dont need a dyno to tune a carb
    .. unless you want to race on a track, if thats your plan buy a different bike.

Mike66 and Jetfixer like this.
  6. Minimutly

You might not need a dyno sybe, but if you don't have the equipment or knowhow, how else would you know if you're rich or lean? Yes I know, multiple plug cuts, but how long will that take someone with no experience?
    (By suggesting a dyno centre I assume they would have the means for this).

Mike66 likes this.
  7. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Don't do it The carbs are CV carbs they do not like velocity change which PODS induce , if you insist that is path you want to go down , be aware that you need to fabricate some type of bracket to support the back of the carbs .....DO NOT rely on the boots alone with stock carbs and airbox both ends are supported . Without it the carb boots can crack from the weight of the carbs .

Mike66, Chitwood and Timbox like this.
  8. Andyam5

Andyam5 Member

Don't

9. Mike66

Mike66 New Member

Thanks for all the advice. Wow! A bit overwhelmed with the path ahead of me.
    Just about every bobber project I’ve seen online has pods, some sound great while others don’t. I’ll give it a shot and save the air box as well.

10. metricman820

metricman820 New Member Premium Member

I restored my XJ750 Seca last year and have pods, only had to tinker a little with the Dyno jet kit but since then have had no issues and the bike starts and runs just like it came off the show room floor. Defiantly use K&N pods and covers and a Dyno jet kit.

11. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

For reference, did you ever ride an XJ750 in stock condition?

12. Jetfixer

I was coming home yesterday a guy was on an 82 maxim with pods and no mufflers it was popping and spitting at idle and when he took off it bogged before picking up ....funny I do NOT have any of the issues like this but guess my bike does not look as cool as pods ( sarcasm)

Attached Files:

13. Minimutly

No, it doesn't....
    But of course, bueaty is in the eye etc.

14. metricman820

metricman820 New Member Premium Member

Unfortunately I haven't ridden an XJ750 with the stock air box, When I picked up the 2 bikes to make this one neither had the stock air box. But I did restore an 82 XJ650 Maxim with stock air box and exhaust. I will still say my 750 with pods starts easier and runs smoother.

15. Jerrod Robinson

Jerrod Robinson Member

I'm getting ready to attempt this now, I have a Mac 4 into 1 Exhaust so I'll be taking my Main Jet's out to #130. Here goes nothing..

16. Jetfixer

You'll be sorry. With PODS your going to be experimenting with jets , a 750 stock is 120 , going to a 130 is probably a little to much 124 would be a start .

Toomanybikes likes this.
  17. Jerrod Robinson

Jerrod Robinson Member

Already had #125's for the Mac 4 into 1, plus my Airbox wasn't exactly Sealed lol. All I had to do is lean up my Pilot Screws a little baby bit from my Exhaust Tune, and this thing is Running better then ever.. Perfect burn across all 4 Plugs.

18. Jerrod Robinson

Jerrod Robinson Member

And the Power increase was kinda surprising, I'm pretty sure it pulled the front tire a little going into 2nd and it's never done that. I'm gonna do a 0-60 Pull after Work tomorrow and let you guys know the Results. 4.5 was Previous best.

19. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

Put it in 5th gear, take it up to 5,000 rpm then twist it wide open, let us know how it responds to this. I expect you will find a dead spot there.

Jetfixer likes this.
  20. Jerrod Robinson

Jerrod Robinson Member

Very familiar with that dead spot, it's right at 6k. There also was a Smaller dead spot at 7,500. Had them when I first put on my Exhaust. But It happened in every Gear. Took Bout a Month of tinkering with my Pilot Screw's, but was able to get rid of both..