1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

82 Maxim XJ1100 Dark Knight Build

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by David Cormier, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Wintersdark

Wintersdark Well-Known Member

If you've got a clear fuel filter, it's really helpful to see what's going on here but yeah, turn it to prime, fill the carbs, then start.

Otherwise, you'll be cranking with no gas, then even when it's trying to start you'll be fighting to get equal, reliable fuel metering to each cylinder.

So long as your carbs floats don't leak, leaving it on prime for a while to be sure isn't going to hurt anything, and it'll get you to a better place to start her up.

David Cormier likes this.
  2. desmotom

desmotom Active Member

Large face down, support material was very minimal on this part, I had printed some switch housing(mo tone style) at the same time so I just threw it in the solution over night.

3. David Cormier

David Cormier Active Member

So I think from reading whats happened is my relays are in the wrong connectors. Some default open and some closed and I think my first problem is I only have one of the two relays to begin with near the bottom of the tank. So now I think I will likely just replace both. I'm thinking this may rectify my Neutral light coming on when the clutch is pulled.

4. David Cormier

I also agree, I scoff when people tell me "I only run premium". However every bike I have owned always gets the good stuff!

5. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Around here, the only way to get non ethanol gas is to buy the premium gas.

Chitwood likes this.
  6. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

If you swap the side stand relay into the starter cutoff relay this may be the issue as you would place 100 ohms across the Sb and B/Y wire. The neutral indicator would then illuminate when the clutch was pulled in but only if the side stand was up. Conversely, if you install a starter cutoff relay into the side stand relay plug, the neutral light might activate when the clutch is pulled in but only if the emergency stop switch is activated.

Check location of the side stand and starter cutoff relay;

http://www.xjbikes.com/forums/threads/the-ultimate-relay-switch-sensor-and-diodes-guide.27543/

Starter cutoff relay:

- on all XJ1100 models: under the fuel tank, behind the right side ignition coil.
    -small metal (original) or plastic (replacement) "cube" relay, inked 4H7-00, 4H7-01, or 12R-01 on the top face

Side stand relay:

- on all XJ1100 models: under the fuel tank, behind the left side ignition coil.
    - has a blue paint mark or blue locking tab shroud on the bottom of it.

You will need to have this somewhat sorted before attempting to start or you may have a starter that will not engage or an ignition that is disabled. Best bet on the ignition would be to just remove the side stand relay initially when first attempting to start the bike and be sure the emergency stop switch is not activated.

Wintersdark and David Cormier like this.
  7. David Cormier

Thanks for the help ! That sounds like my train of thought! I stopped pushing last night to start as after 3 straight hours things all start to look the same and easy to mix up. Also my sidestand is up as the bike is on its center stand while I work!

8. David Cormier

Sidebar to all of this, What oil does everyone use in their bikes? I need to do a full swap and I want to know if anything is preferred either brand or mix. Sadly Nowhere seems to sell the Yamalube which everyone raves about in the US

9. David Cormier

Don't worry before I began this monster of a process I printed out the color coded wiring diagram 3 sheets by 3 sheets and hung it in my work space. I have both the connectors identified I just need to be home and identify which relay I currently have and which I don't.

Rooster53 likes this.
  10. Wintersdark

We've got wild temperature swings, so mid-range is pretty ideal. I run Shell Rotella T4 Triple Protection 15w-40 diesel oil off k-moe's recommendation, and it's been great hot and cold. Also, readily available from our local Cambodian Tire, and inexpensive.

You want to avoid synthetics as the clutch will slip, also most car oil as they've got additives that are great for modern car engines and catalytic converters but don't make our bikes happy.

Rooster53 and David Cormier like this.
  11. David Cormier

You were right! So it turns out I only have the side stand relay, I'm going to count that as a win. Now to track down a starter control relay.

12. Wintersdark

I have a spare - well, I'm pretty sure I do. I'll check when I get home from work. If so, I can run it over on Friday or Saturday.

13. Chitwood

Chitwood Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, I run valvoline motorcycle oil 20w-50. Been treating me real well here in Wisconsin.

14. David Cormier

Keep me posted brother! I'll wait to order one

15. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Oil thread in my signature. Buying by brand is the wrong way to go.

16. Wintersdark

I've got all three:
    a blue locking tab 4U8-00 - that's the sidestand relay (4 pin, normally closed, no internal diode)
    a yellow headlight 3H5-00 - that's a headlight relay (4 pin, normally open, internal diode)
    a uncolored 4H7-01 - and THAT should be the one; starting/ignition cutoff/neutral switch.

I'm working evening shifts this week (3pm-3am) but may have Friday off, so I can swing by with the relay on Friday evening (if I'm not working) or Saturday whenever.

17. David Cormier

Sweet ! I will be home Friday night and Saturday so just keep me posted ! You are AWESOME!

18. David Cormier

My next hurdle that I think is going to make me want to the kick this project over and bang my head off a well is gears. I should have checked this sooner I guess but was unaware of such issues. When just trying to work my way through the gears I can feel 1 down, neutral, 2nd and 3rd and then nothing........UGH. After a ton of reading I'm hoping its just that my stupid star washer broke and the drum dowels have fallen out. I've read so much that statement even makes sense to me now. IF anyone has any experience or thoughts feel free to chime in ! Luckily I haven't done the oil change I'm just letting it drip out so I will be popping open the shifter case to see what hopefully is an easy fix.

19. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Check the springs too.

20. mlew

mlew Well-Known Member

Are you rotating the rear wheel while shifting? The transmission needs to turn some to engage the next gear either by turning wheel or running the engine.

k-moe likes this.