1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

82 Maxim XJ1100 Dark Knight Build

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by David Cormier, Aug 23, 2016.

1. David Cormier

David Cormier Active Member

I was not so here's hoping that's the only issue as I want to be riding this monster asap

2. mlew

mlew Well-Known Member

hopefully it will work. hate to see you have to take apart a nicely painted engine.

3. David Cormier

I am beyond happy to report that 1-5 are flawless !! Now to see Wintersdark this weekend for the relay and we should be in business !!!

4. David Cormier

So Wintersdark and I got to hang out for a couple of hours but sadly no bike starting today. The carb float must have stuck and gas has come out of the air box ugh......Time to go back to the church of clean tomorrow !!

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  5. David Cormier

Alright gents, I have been playing in the church of clean, ie the church of hell haha. I finally got a bench setup with the carbs off the bike.
    IMG_9433.JPG
    The tape is there to remind me which of these little demons needs the most pain inflicted upon it.
    Upon closer inspection with the fuel set to prime, fuel comes out of carb #2 here
    IMG_9438.JPG
    The jet opening on the right side of the carb. How is this even possible ? What orifice connnects to this thing? Other than I did a thorough cleaning and nothing seems amiss otherwise.
    Thoughts and suggestions are welcome !

6. Wintersdark

Wintersdark Well-Known Member

If it's doing that, the float needle isn't closing either because the float is set incorrectly or because the needle itself isn't seating (wear? Something stuck there?)

Have you checked/set fuel levels?

k-moe likes this.
  7. David Cormier

So I have checked through all needle valves and they seat correctly. However I think one of the needle valve seats seals may be toast.

When I tried to check the float level individually I couldn't get a reasonable reading. So I mounted the carbs back to the rack as seen above so I could find the leak. Tmrw I will investigate. I got a second set of carbs online that are not in the best of shape overall but plenty of salvageable parts to had.

We shall see what tmrw brings !

8. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Replacing old, worn-out parts with different old, worn-out parts is a fool's game. Get new needles and seats (from Chacal so you get the right ones the first time).

The fuel is coming out of the float bowl air vent.

vitovabo and David Cormier like this.
  9. David Cormier

Don't worry, when I say salvageable parts, I mean the screws and bodies. Nothing soft or fragile :)

vitovabo and k-moe like this.
  10. David Cormier

So I finally got fed up enough to try and deal with the neutral switch again. FML

This is what came out as I'm doing an oil flip anyway why not get this thing out. Well here's what came out.
    IMG_9504.JPG IMG_9506.JPG
    The threaded portion is failed and I barely put any torque on this thing.

So my next question, what are my options or what will cause me the least amount of nightmares to extract what's left of the thread ?

Clearly I'll need a new neutral switch

11. David Cormier

Using a spiral extractor will likely be difficult with the end of the bolt opening being so narrow. Also I assume the pin that was protruding touches something and I do not want to damage that piece correct ?

Plus side my carbs are complete and float levels set by a backyard mechanic who loves these bikes. My o-rings were shot as expected.

12. Chitwood

Chitwood Well-Known Member

I think a spiral extractor is what I would try. Maybe take a butane micro torch or heat gun and warm up the case around the broken switch threads and see what happens. If that doesn't work then more precise/surgical methods may need to be employed. Let us know how the extraction goes

Wintersdark and David Cormier like this.
  13. David Cormier

I should mention I did diagnose that the neutral switch was failed. So wish me luck with the surgery of removing the threads that are left !

Chitwood and Wintersdark like this.
  14. desmotom

desmotom Active Member

I would drill it out to the minor diameter ( carefully ) of the thread and pick out the remaining.

15. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

i know you don't want to hear this but, take the oil pan off. so much easier to get that out, not much chance of screwing something else up and the oil pan probably has goop in it that won't come out with a oil change. ever notice how your nice clean oil is dirty after one ride?

16. David Cormier

I've got the oil drained out of the bike anyway so this really wouldn't be the end of the world. As long as it doesn't involve removing the engine I'm ok with it haha

17. David Cormier

After 28 seconds of surgery I am happy to report the patient is going to make a full recovery after removing the entire object in question!!

IMG_9532.JPG IMG_9533.JPG

I got a #4 size spiral extractor, gave it 10 light taps with a hammer. As soon as I put out my socket on it, to my surprise it spun freely. The thread seems to be stuck pretty good on my extractor for now. But who cares, the bike is making progress again !!!

Chitwood, desmotom and Rooster53 like this.
  18. Wintersdark

Huzzah! Glad to hear it worked out!

David Cormier likes this.
  19. Wintersdark

Any tips for cutting the exhaust tape? Just got a roll today, gonna do my headers.

Also: Where did you get the black pipe clamps?

20. David Cormier

So for cutting the exhaust tape I have just straight cut flashing shears. You're welcome to borrow them. Cuts the stuff like butter. I found it easiest to cut a straight line and get it clamped. Otherwise every touch it unravels a little more.

As for black pipe clamps for the life of me I hunted and only found steel at Home Depot and lowes. I had to paint those too haha. Every little detail counts ! When I'm completed I will be paining every steel bolt black too. I used tremclad black for the clamps !

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017