1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

82 Maxim XJ1100 Dark Knight Build

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by David Cormier, Aug 23, 2016.

1. David Cormier

David Cormier Active Member

So there are no neutral switches in Alberta..ugh...looks like I will have to wait.

On the plus side I worked on my electrical tonight, specifically the terror of the headlight bucket. I won't lie I have no idea how I managed to push the wiring out the way enough to mount the light. There is not an ounce of space left for anything else to fit. I wish I took a picture of the wires because I had to hold the headlight in place to get it mounted, but it's on there!!! And it looks mean
    IMG_9543.JPG
    I couldn't get the lighting right but I'll get better pictures once I'm done.

Here is the low beam pattern
    IMG_9538.JPG This thing is super bright and the lights on my signal arms are also leds.

Now I need to make the housing for my computer and speedo mount combination.

2. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

if that header wrap frays when you cut it, lay a little stripe of wood glue across it, let it setup and cut in the middle of the stripe

Wintersdark likes this.
  3. Wintersdark

Wintersdark Well-Known Member

Genius! I'll definitely do that myself tomorrow.

Oh, be careful here.

Those LED bulbs typically have heat sinks on the back. If they can't sink the heat - and they'll make a fair bit of it - they'll burn out on you.

With that said, it DOES look pretty damn awesome!

4. David Cormier

Serious Update.
    Yesterday my neutral switch arrived, so I did what any normal person would do. I took the afternoon off work, rushed home and installed it. I replaced the oil filter and dumped in 3.5L of fresh oil. Mounted my carbs which I also picked up from being beautifully rebuilt.
    Then I had to break for dinner before I got too crazy and rushed.
    First sign of good for tune was that now my neutral light glows like a beautiful little beacon on my cluster.
    Next I mounted my tank got the gas flowing in prime and then went out about starting the bike.
    This was my result.

Still some tweaking to be done and some odds and ends to tidy up but I am pumped for how mean this thing sounds. Keep in mind I couldn't turn the choke off and keep it running so its sitting a little high for rpm at idle but you get the idea. I could not be happier with the sound.

dirtmax and Chitwood like this.
  5. David Cormier

Also my friend is welding the extra connection from another brake pedal to the inside of mine so it clears my exhaust today. I may be taking it for a short spin around my block later this weekend !!!!

Chitwood and Simmy like this.
  6. David Cormier

And a second one for good measure

Rusty81 and dirtmax like this.
  7. Wintersdark

Nice!! Congratulations man!

David Cormier likes this.
  8. David Cormier

Ok the only issue I have now is that my white wire originally from the stock tach is not working with my gage. No rpm is registering. Any thoughts on trouble shooting or a different source to pull from ?

9. Wintersdark

This is the problem with those gauges, tough to get the RPM's measured. There's three lines to the tach, though, right? White, brown, and black/ground? Have you tried the brown lead?

I've heard some make it work via inductive pickup - wrap a lead around one of your spark plugs wires a few times. I'd start with 10ish wraps, but dunno how well that will work.

10. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

My youngest son is over a year and a half old, and he has just started speaking. I know how you feel, hearing your baby's voice for the first time. Long time coming, but well worth the wait!

David Cormier and Wintersdark like this.
  11. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

It does not sound as good as the first video, like you have a fouled plug and are running on three cylinders.... intermittent backfiring/popping. You might want to check the plugs after running a bit to see if one is wet and possibly fuel fouled from repeated starts with the choke on.

12. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

You're not running on all cyls, and the throttle response is very sluggish. Do you still have to keep the enricher on, too?

13. David Cormier

Hey gents,
    I put in some more fuel lastnight and voila. All issues you're mentioning are gone. It also idles beautifully with no choke. I think it was a combination of the idle screw being set way too low and needing to nearly flip to reserve hence the fuel starving.

I'm still racking my brain on the rpm not showing up on the gage

Wintersdark likes this.
  14. David Cormier

I have not tried the brown lead but I'm going to keep trying until it works. The gage has been super finicky but worth it for the simplicity in the end.

15. David Cormier

The bike running smoothly

dirtmax and Wintersdark like this.
  16. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Sounds better, sounds like it's responding a whole lot quicker......can't see the throttle to comparesound with motion, but does sound better :)

David Cormier likes this.
  17. David Cormier

Ok so today I spent hours and I mean like 6 hours on top of everything I've learned already. Trying to figure out the rpm issue.
    I really want my single gage to perform all functions or it's just for looks and that's not my goal.
    Is it possible to get one feed wire on the xj1100 into an aftermarket gage like the eBay special I've got ?
    Can the signal be taken from a coil either positive or negative side ?
    To date my rpm needle has not moved from 0.
    I've read online that adding a capacitor and resistor inline with grounding may solve the issue however I am skeptical. IMG_9731.PNG
    But at this point I am open to any and all suggestions to get an rpm signal to work.
    After reading up on the stock tach and dismantling it, its apparent the system is different.
    Help please !! Soon it will be time to ride !!!

18. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

19. David Cormier

Yes that is the gage. I have eliminated the tach specific ground as I grounded the gage elsewhere. The brown wire I have terminated and wrapped as the gage gets its power from another connection. This is where I get confused. So the stock tach had the grey/white white which is joined from the ACG and rectifier, connecting this produces nothing. Where should I be running my signal wire from exactly? What is considered the "low side" of the coil ??
    Every other function on the gage works perfectly so its only a matter of rpm signal and where exactly to pull it from.

Thanks in advance!

20. mlew

mlew Well-Known Member

The XJ11 tach uses a voltage signal to read rpm and not a pulsed signal from the coils. That is why your tach does not work.
    The "low side" of the coil is the wire that goes to the TCI to trigger the coil. Positive it fed to one side and the other goes to the tci, that is the side the new tach should be connected to and will detect to give you rpm readings.

The red/white wire is the + side of the coil, it feeds each coil. The orange and gray are the - sides of the coils. Hook your tach to either the orange or gray wire from the ignition coil. this will give the new tach a one pulse per revoultion signal.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
    Rooster53 likes this.