1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

85 Suzuki Madura 1200

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by Timbox, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Lets try Flikr and see if I can post pics.
    [​IMG]4 by Tim Brown, on Flickr

2. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Okay looks like I/we can and it is free if and when you have a yahoo.com email account...1TB worth for free I think.

I will add the pics that were removed and or updates...I hope.

The one above was day 1 after getting it home.
    [​IMG]2 by Tim Brown, on Flickr

Secondary Drive Unit (SDU) and the hidden place of the clutch slave.
    [​IMG]SDG cluch slave by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    Back side of the SDU with clutch slave attached on upper part of pic.
    [​IMG]Output shaft by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    Primary and reserve on this model...interesting.
    [​IMG]New fuel lines 2 by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    Clutch plunger that the slave pushs
    [​IMG]Engine side 1 by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    Carbs with mud bees
    [​IMG]15 by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    More mud bees on body
    [​IMG]13 by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    Cleaning and shining time
    [​IMG]Polished sides by Tim Brown, on Flickr

Rooster53 likes this.
  3. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

What she looked like today when I took her for a little longer ride.
    [​IMG]20170716_163213 by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    [​IMG]20170716_163221 by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    [​IMG]20170716_163229 by Tim Brown, on Flickr

Need to spend some some on cleaning the engine and what ever I can get my hands on. Those wheels I am not too sure what to do with. Besides that she feels wonderful and wow does this bike have scary, to be respected power!

4. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Got the horn on and then it stopped working....hmm. Trouble shooting drove me nuts, if you have ever had a partial open then you know what I mean. I found the partial open on the Bl/W wire in the horn button area. I would guess with the age of the wire and all the vibration it just finally went. That however was not the only thing to go on the new horn ckt. The "NEW" relay that came with the horn was bad, sure it would "click" when I fixed the partial open but now power to the horn. The output let of the relay had disconnected somehow inside the relay. Put another relay in and now that air horn is blasting away.
    [​IMG]20170808_163129[1] by Tim Brown, on Flickr

5. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Got the vacuum screws in the mail the other day and had some time this morning. Wow were those carbs out of synch. 1&2 were way out from the other two. She is running really nice and and once I get the paper work back from the WI DMV on the title I will be able to ride her....legally.

I think I will have to take the SDU off again as I think I see some hypo oil under the bike on the bench. Not too happy about that as I am sure it will be the seal in the back and not the gasket. Just another thing to work on while I am waiting on the paper work. In the mean time there is a 81 750 Seca close by with a "title" for a good price...thinking of picking that up.

6. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Update, just got the paper work back from the WI DMV, sure enough, they didn't like my signed title and all the work I did to get a title. So I had to call up a bond agency and $110.00 later, I will have all the paper work needed to get a boned title that will turn into a clean title in five yrs. I will be out the $110.00 but that is the way it goes.

Moral to my story, if the bike is worth the extra paper work and cost of the bond, get it. This Madura is a interesting bike and much better to work on then the V65 I used to have. So was the WI paper work a pain in my butt, yes but worth it. Hope this little exercise in bonded title 101 helps someone.

7. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Well I had to pull the secondary gear box off again, I head a hydro leak! Pulled it off and sure enough the seal around the output shaft from the engine to the Secondary Drive was bent and the spring had come out the seal. Had to wait a while to get parts in but she went together today. I also started to clean up and shine up the chrome side covers. With all the little nooks on the left cover it will be interesting. All the aluminum has heavy outdoor wear on it.

[​IMG]20171029_163956[1] by Tim Brown, on Flickr

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
  8. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Okay, well that pic above of the cover is no longer, I had to just paint the other cases as I didn't want to spend all the time polishing them and then keeping them polished as well. So after getting the new seal and gasket in the SG I painted the side covers and engine sides. I will clean up the engine vanes before the paint cures. I will get some more pics soon to show progress. Trying to get a deer this yr so that is taking a lot of my time.

9. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

joe elliff likes this.
  10. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

Project creep!! Looking good!

11. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Got a chance to look at the bike, found some hypo oil under bike AGAIN! Looks like the book says to put some special Suzuki sealer on the top left bolt of the SG housing so it will not leak. I will be trying it with some ultra black and see if that does it. I don't like oil leaks, reminds me too much of the old HD bikes and the lazy people that don't fix oil leaks!

12. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Pulled the two bolts on that are on the Front of the SG unit, sure enough, the top one had hypo oil on it. Put some Ultra black on it and then re-torqued it. As I was almost at the 20 lbs mark on the top bolt I thought it broke, as it didn't get tight. Another full turn and then it did, so lets hope it seals this time.

13. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Well for those of you that were wondering, that little trick worked. Got to love some of the engineers thinking, leaving it up to a bolt to be covered in sealer to stop a leak of hypo fluid around a gasket. So here is hoping that this last for a season or until I have to tear it back down.

14. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

15. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Really? Are you pulling my chain on this one? I don't think it had to do with the threds as I had locktight on it and still leaked. Has to be along the bore of the bolt that needed to be sealed and don't think the cling wrap would have done it....;)

16. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

stop, backup, i see all that green tape and newspaper all over the engine. now read that other post again.
    now if i was to pull your chain about that bolt i might tell you to drill a hole in the bolt so it can drain back in :)

17. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

(I am nodding my head) I C and I agree, that would work great for that! Locked that away for later use. That has to be so much better then trying to tape around everything and use paper, good call and thanks.