1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

About to start on the 650,lots of questions

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by cruiserlover, Feb 13, 2018.

1. cruiserlover

cruiserlover Active Member

I bought the 650,82 model, recently.It has current tags and was running not long ago.I doubt my resurrection of it will be as easy as it should have been.He destroyed the head trying to replace the carb holders.After he broke off several bolts he drilled into several of the holes attempting to tap and die them.he made some of them much larger, broke the outside of the holes completely in a few places, made a huge pile of shavings.His response was he did not know how to use a tap and die set. I bought what appears to be a good head for $129.00 off ebay.I will use the cams I have.He left the cylinder block uncovered, it has some surface rust on the cylinders where the pistons are the bottom of the stroke. Hopefully the pistons are not stuck. I havent had much time to deal with it.Also I only got 1 headbolt from him.I messaged the head seller and said I need all the headbolts.I suppose there is a way to source them. xj4ever says email him with what I need, but probably headbolts is not on his list.

I had also bought an 81 xs11, but its a no go now.I went to drain its oil today.No oil,zero,in the motor.It will be a parts bike now.The only thing its missing is the right front turn signal lens if you know of someone needing parts. So my plan: check out the cylinder block,repair or replace on the 650.Inspect the lower end. Hopefully it wont look like its been rained in. I am not sure how quickly the crank,rod bearings and main bearings get ruined from exposure. If the lower end looks ok then go with the cleanup of the block,install the head.The carbs are off of course so clean them while they are off,plus the gastank.I bought a por 15 kit a long time ago.I found 4 kits for about $30 multiple places.Really all I need are the float bowl gaskets.I wont use the jets or needles.But if a float is damaged some kits have them too, or a float can be bought separately. One positive, it has new carb holders. So now time to get to work when i have some time, in about 2 weeks.This bike has 19,000 miles on it.When i drained the oil from it it looked as though it had never been changed. All input and advice appreciated. Except "you should have bought a better one". I could buy a new one if I wanted.I want to fix this one. Thanks for any advice or response you have time to give me.I appreciate it.

2. cruiserlover

I see no responses from anyone here. I assume it is because I have not started trying to work on the engine yet.When I do, and post a question at that time, there will be help or advice then. fyi this is a learning experience for me. I replaced all the engine gaskets from valve cover to cylinder base gasket on a suzuki inline 4 one time before and that went ok. These engines are very similar.

3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

I make the assumption we are talking about a maxim
    never under estimate what len can supply you he does have an online catalog just ask him

first do you have manuals? Haynes and FSM you will need XJ650H and XJ650J manuals

4. XJ550H

think of your bike as a collection of systems which it is

then start checking them out and establish a list of what parts you will need

5. cruiserlover

Yes it is a maxim.I thought all the 650-s were.My bad. I have a haynes manual now.I bought a used cylinder head off ebay,coming today.The former guy destroyed the original.If I dont have to split the cases i have done this same thing to a 80 model suzuki gs 1000. Only that bike had headbolts.The studs are better i think. Thanks for all input.And yes list making is the way i always go.I get too sidetracked if i dont.

6. XJ550H

the 1982 seca 650rj was a one year model then there is the Seca 650 turbo
    check your inbox

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  7. cruiserlover

I just did.Thank you.

8. cruiserlover

OK.Before I spend anymore time and money on this, i want to turn the motor over by hand.I dont trust the guy saying he was riding it recently before he took the head off.I removed the inspection plate of the left side.Removed the center allen bolt.I dont see any big bolt to turn to turn the crankshaft over.I really do know how to work on a inline 4 cylinder but what I am used to seeing is once the cover is off a hex nut or bolt is there to turn the crank.Please tell me the answer.

9. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

It's not a hex head you're looking for. It's the piece (gold colour) which the allen bolt screws into which you turn with an open end wrench. Turn it the same direction the wheels turn (counter-clockwise).

10. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

The center Allan bolt has to stay in place; it holds the ignition plate on, and that's what will be turning the crankshaft.
    On the ignition plate there is a square lug. Put a 19mm wrench on it, and be careful to not hit the pickups as you turn the crank counterclockwise.
    Since this is your first XJ, I suggest that you slow down and read the service manual and the Information Overload Hour (link in my signature) before going further. This will help to keep you from having to wait on replies before being able to get any work done.

I think the 1100 has a good chance of being fine. If I looked at the photos correctly, the engine is in one piece. Even with oil drained there will still be an oil film on most of the internals. It's worth filling her with oil for a compression test, and dousing the rings with ATF and acetone to free the rings up if the compression is low.

TheCrazyGnat likes this.
  11. cruiserlover

I finally figured that out.I never saw a setrup like that before.I thought when i took the inspection plate off it would be behind there.

12. cruiserlover

So far the 1100 wont turn over.I am going to do the atf and acetone next.I put 2 tbsp down each sparkplug hole and have the plugs out to remove compression.yes the motor is complete,looks untouched.I have read the manual over and over on both bikes.The information is very similar.Once I get one freed up I can go from there.The 650 is supposed to be a rider if he didnt lie.He totally trashed the head where the carbs mount.I have one of those coming today.Thanks for your help.I appreciate it.

k-moe likes this.
  13. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

X2 on this, I'm aware and still cracked one of my coils the first time I spun her over. Also X2 on the manual. I have the shop manuals for that bike in PDF format, pls PM me if interested in a copy.

14. cruiserlover

I have a manual for both bikes.But thank you for the offer.

15. cruiserlover

I tried turning the 11 over.It turns clockwiser,opposite of the 650 per the manual.But it wont turn either way.acetone and atf tomorrow.What about using like a 2 foot cheater on the nut.Can I break something?

16. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Yes.
    Go slow.
    Make sure that the transmission is in neutral, so you're not fighting it.
    Give her a good soak for a week. Try to turn.
    Repeat as needed.
    At some point you'll start to see movement, or not.
    When to stop and figure on a teardown is a judgment call.

17. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Also, are the plugs out? Compression will fight you if they're still in.

k-moe likes this.
  18. cruiserlover

yes the plugs are out.Yes it is in neutral.I personally dont know where this is headed about freeing it up but I am pretty much decided even if its piston seized to the cylinder wall i am going to eventually rebuild it and get it roadworthy.Except for the missing sidecovers its like it was frozen in time.Or grime probably is the better word.Those sidecovers are 50-100 bucks each.I need one sidecover for my 650. The 650 will be my shorterm project and eventual daily rider.The 11 is my restoration project. A guy called motorcycle dan said the clutch could be stuck too.But if the crankbolt turns with the clutch lever pulled in, the clutch may need replaced but the motor is not seized.I checked.Did not help.. I am going to stay on course with the 650.Once i get it running the buckhorns will be history.

I did have time to see if the 650 is locked up.The head is off per the previous guy.The camchain is down in the bottom of the motor.Which means no compression or sparkplugs in the holes.It moves very easily.About 2 inches, because most likely the wadded up chain is interfering with the crank rotation. I think a person has to be masochistic to do this stuff.But I love it.

19. cruiserlover

I also know i will have money and lots of time invested in either motorcycle.moreso on the 11. But I live alone, like to do this stuff.My xs 11 if in perfect shape would be worth about 2500.I have 300 in it now.But a totally refurbished dependable classic era motorcycle is better than what I have seen on showroom floors.To me its like looking at a 55 chevy restored versus a 2005 taurus.I own a taurus.Old man's car. The 55 wins every time in desireability.But neither of my xj bikes will ever be worth much money. I still like them though.